Why is my dog limping?

Breed: american bull dog
hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his right back leg and he cant put any weight on his leg either a need to know if your can help me

Sorry to hear that Garrick is having problems with his leg.

This is the type of problem that is hard to address over the internet as someone really needs to be able to examine him.

I'll give you a few possible reasons for what could be going on.

One common reason for a hind limb lameness is a tear in the cruciate (ACL) ligament. Sometimes when there is a tear you can feel that the affected knee is swollen as compared to the other side. (The knee is the joint that points forwards.) Hopefully this is not the case as this type of injury almost always needs surgery.

It is also possible that this is a minor muscle tear or sprain of some sort. If this is the case we should be seeing a good amount of improvement within 3-4 days.

There are many other possibilities as well. Here are my guidelines for deciding when to take a dog to the vet in case of lameness:

-If the dog seems extremely uncomfortable and can't get settled then go right away.
-If there is absolutely no improvement after 24 hours then a visit is necessary.
-If there is some improvement after 3-4 days but not as much as you would like then a visit is best.
-If your gut is just telling you that something is wrong then go.

I don't usually recommend giving any medication at home. Any of the over the counter medicines available can have significant side effects and can possibly make it so that the vet is unable to prescribe more effective medication until that is out of his system.

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (20602 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (8876 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12687 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (6970 views)

maggots in guinea pig's cage Dear dr marie, i found maggots in my guinea pig's cage. So i want to know if he has... (14174 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (9059 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (8934 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (8311 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (10452 views)

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate. what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please... (30133 views)