Why is my dog limping?

Breed: american bull dog
hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his right back leg and he cant put any weight on his leg either a need to know if your can help me

Sorry to hear that Garrick is having problems with his leg.

This is the type of problem that is hard to address over the internet as someone really needs to be able to examine him.

I'll give you a few possible reasons for what could be going on.

One common reason for a hind limb lameness is a tear in the cruciate (ACL) ligament. Sometimes when there is a tear you can feel that the affected knee is swollen as compared to the other side. (The knee is the joint that points forwards.) Hopefully this is not the case as this type of injury almost always needs surgery.

It is also possible that this is a minor muscle tear or sprain of some sort. If this is the case we should be seeing a good amount of improvement within 3-4 days.

There are many other possibilities as well. Here are my guidelines for deciding when to take a dog to the vet in case of lameness:

-If the dog seems extremely uncomfortable and can't get settled then go right away.
-If there is absolutely no improvement after 24 hours then a visit is necessary.
-If there is some improvement after 3-4 days but not as much as you would like then a visit is best.
-If your gut is just telling you that something is wrong then go.

I don't usually recommend giving any medication at home. Any of the over the counter medicines available can have significant side effects and can possibly make it so that the vet is unable to prescribe more effective medication until that is out of his system.

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (24610 views)

Spot on eye. My boxer scratched his eye. Went to Vet and confirmed and they put him on Neomycin... (18915 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (23982 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (208025 views)

How to calm down hyper dog. We adopted Samson a year ago from the local shelter. He has been a great pet, highly... (11199 views)

Skin infection is back. Hello Doctor, My dog has had open sores on his ears, neck and back. They start as... (9111 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (34682 views)

Dog is bleeding. My 13 year old Min Pin has arthritis and is very, very weary. He recently started... (57378 views)

Older dog having seizures. She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm... (9261 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (17338 views)