Why is my dog limping?

Breed: american bull dog
hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his right back leg and he cant put any weight on his leg either a need to know if your can help me

Sorry to hear that Garrick is having problems with his leg.

This is the type of problem that is hard to address over the internet as someone really needs to be able to examine him.

I'll give you a few possible reasons for what could be going on.

One common reason for a hind limb lameness is a tear in the cruciate (ACL) ligament. Sometimes when there is a tear you can feel that the affected knee is swollen as compared to the other side. (The knee is the joint that points forwards.) Hopefully this is not the case as this type of injury almost always needs surgery.

It is also possible that this is a minor muscle tear or sprain of some sort. If this is the case we should be seeing a good amount of improvement within 3-4 days.

There are many other possibilities as well. Here are my guidelines for deciding when to take a dog to the vet in case of lameness:

-If the dog seems extremely uncomfortable and can't get settled then go right away.
-If there is absolutely no improvement after 24 hours then a visit is necessary.
-If there is some improvement after 3-4 days but not as much as you would like then a visit is best.
-If your gut is just telling you that something is wrong then go.

I don't usually recommend giving any medication at home. Any of the over the counter medicines available can have significant side effects and can possibly make it so that the vet is unable to prescribe more effective medication until that is out of his system.

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (11408 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (18835 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (14269 views)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (11844 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (19512 views)

How long is parvo contagious? i recently got a puppy and after 3 days i found out he had parvo and had to be put... (21449 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (13775 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (7962 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (8356 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (10462 views)