Why is my dog limping?

Breed: american bull dog
hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his right back leg and he cant put any weight on his leg either a need to know if your can help me

Sorry to hear that Garrick is having problems with his leg.

This is the type of problem that is hard to address over the internet as someone really needs to be able to examine him.

I'll give you a few possible reasons for what could be going on.

One common reason for a hind limb lameness is a tear in the cruciate (ACL) ligament. Sometimes when there is a tear you can feel that the affected knee is swollen as compared to the other side. (The knee is the joint that points forwards.) Hopefully this is not the case as this type of injury almost always needs surgery.

It is also possible that this is a minor muscle tear or sprain of some sort. If this is the case we should be seeing a good amount of improvement within 3-4 days.

There are many other possibilities as well. Here are my guidelines for deciding when to take a dog to the vet in case of lameness:

-If the dog seems extremely uncomfortable and can't get settled then go right away.
-If there is absolutely no improvement after 24 hours then a visit is necessary.
-If there is some improvement after 3-4 days but not as much as you would like then a visit is best.
-If your gut is just telling you that something is wrong then go.

I don't usually recommend giving any medication at home. Any of the over the counter medicines available can have significant side effects and can possibly make it so that the vet is unable to prescribe more effective medication until that is out of his system.

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (3567 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (11006 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (32922 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (33480 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (25903 views)

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (22790 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (9495 views)

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (8536 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (27510 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (9686 views)