Why is my dog limping?

Breed: american bull dog
hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his right back leg and he cant put any weight on his leg either a need to know if your can help me

Sorry to hear that Garrick is having problems with his leg.

This is the type of problem that is hard to address over the internet as someone really needs to be able to examine him.

I'll give you a few possible reasons for what could be going on.

One common reason for a hind limb lameness is a tear in the cruciate (ACL) ligament. Sometimes when there is a tear you can feel that the affected knee is swollen as compared to the other side. (The knee is the joint that points forwards.) Hopefully this is not the case as this type of injury almost always needs surgery.

It is also possible that this is a minor muscle tear or sprain of some sort. If this is the case we should be seeing a good amount of improvement within 3-4 days.

There are many other possibilities as well. Here are my guidelines for deciding when to take a dog to the vet in case of lameness:

-If the dog seems extremely uncomfortable and can't get settled then go right away.
-If there is absolutely no improvement after 24 hours then a visit is necessary.
-If there is some improvement after 3-4 days but not as much as you would like then a visit is best.
-If your gut is just telling you that something is wrong then go.

I don't usually recommend giving any medication at home. Any of the over the counter medicines available can have significant side effects and can possibly make it so that the vet is unable to prescribe more effective medication until that is out of his system.

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (6417 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (6184 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (8706 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (8482 views)

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (6630 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (121845 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (7143 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (10296 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (7727 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (34398 views)