Diabetic cat problems.

Breed: dsh
ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21
he has gained 5 lbs since jan I am giving him lantus insulin 3 units in morning and 2 in evening I am usung a u-100 syringe (same as mine) he wants to eat continually and he is having problems jumping up now with his weight I am watching his food intake but nothing seems to helpwhat can I do for him

I'm sorry to hear that Ivay is having problems. Issues surrounding diabetes can be very complicated.

You did not mention the units when you said his glucose level was 21. If you live in the US, then Glucose is measured in mg/dL and 21 is dangerously low. If you live in Canada, then Glucose is measured in mmol/L and 21 is too high.

Either way it sounds like Ivay's diabetes treatment is not regulated properly. There is no quick answer here as to what to do other than to emphasize how important it is to have your vet involved in the decisions around insulin dosages. Your vet may want to run a glucose curve which looks at the glucose level throughout the day. Generally, you can't make a decision on changing insulin doses based on just a single value.

The fact that Ivay is having trouble jumping is probably related to the diabetes as well. Cats with diabetes can get something called diabetic polyneuropathy which is a condition that affects the muscles of the back legs and makes them very weak.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at Ivay again and do some more tests. It definitely sounds like he is very unwell.

Hope things improve soon,

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (6113 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (9562 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (6570 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (6780 views)

Balding legs Two month old Freddie was a rescue with mites. He went through the sulphur bath... (8833 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (18364 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (7385 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (32356 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (17485 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (10728 views)