Diabetic cat problems.

Breed: dsh
ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21
he has gained 5 lbs since jan I am giving him lantus insulin 3 units in morning and 2 in evening I am usung a u-100 syringe (same as mine) he wants to eat continually and he is having problems jumping up now with his weight I am watching his food intake but nothing seems to helpwhat can I do for him

I'm sorry to hear that Ivay is having problems. Issues surrounding diabetes can be very complicated.

You did not mention the units when you said his glucose level was 21. If you live in the US, then Glucose is measured in mg/dL and 21 is dangerously low. If you live in Canada, then Glucose is measured in mmol/L and 21 is too high.

Either way it sounds like Ivay's diabetes treatment is not regulated properly. There is no quick answer here as to what to do other than to emphasize how important it is to have your vet involved in the decisions around insulin dosages. Your vet may want to run a glucose curve which looks at the glucose level throughout the day. Generally, you can't make a decision on changing insulin doses based on just a single value.

The fact that Ivay is having trouble jumping is probably related to the diabetes as well. Cats with diabetes can get something called diabetic polyneuropathy which is a condition that affects the muscles of the back legs and makes them very weak.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at Ivay again and do some more tests. It definitely sounds like he is very unwell.

Hope things improve soon,

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (6342 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (14868 views)

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (6741 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (5232 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (9316 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (44310 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (28569 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (6461 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (13460 views)

Restraint of dogs. Hi, I am currently filling out a university application for vet science at the... (7634 views)