Diabetic cat problems.

Breed: dsh
ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21
he has gained 5 lbs since jan I am giving him lantus insulin 3 units in morning and 2 in evening I am usung a u-100 syringe (same as mine) he wants to eat continually and he is having problems jumping up now with his weight I am watching his food intake but nothing seems to helpwhat can I do for him

I'm sorry to hear that Ivay is having problems. Issues surrounding diabetes can be very complicated.

You did not mention the units when you said his glucose level was 21. If you live in the US, then Glucose is measured in mg/dL and 21 is dangerously low. If you live in Canada, then Glucose is measured in mmol/L and 21 is too high.

Either way it sounds like Ivay's diabetes treatment is not regulated properly. There is no quick answer here as to what to do other than to emphasize how important it is to have your vet involved in the decisions around insulin dosages. Your vet may want to run a glucose curve which looks at the glucose level throughout the day. Generally, you can't make a decision on changing insulin doses based on just a single value.

The fact that Ivay is having trouble jumping is probably related to the diabetes as well. Cats with diabetes can get something called diabetic polyneuropathy which is a condition that affects the muscles of the back legs and makes them very weak.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at Ivay again and do some more tests. It definitely sounds like he is very unwell.

Hope things improve soon,

Allergic reaction. Last night my dog went outside and came back in with a red, irritated mouth. ... (53245 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (4293 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (8011 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (12939 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (18547 views)

Pooping outside of box. Hi, I have a 13 year old cat named Dagmar. Apart from being slightly overweight, she... (6080 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (18478 views)

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (28506 views)

Dog with swollen face. our dog woke up with a swollen face. i think that something might have bitten him. ... (10671 views)

Trouble breathing when drinking cold water. My dog Valentino is 16 years old and many times when he drinks water or he is... (10489 views)