Diabetic cat problems.

Breed: dsh
ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21
he has gained 5 lbs since jan I am giving him lantus insulin 3 units in morning and 2 in evening I am usung a u-100 syringe (same as mine) he wants to eat continually and he is having problems jumping up now with his weight I am watching his food intake but nothing seems to helpwhat can I do for him

I'm sorry to hear that Ivay is having problems. Issues surrounding diabetes can be very complicated.

You did not mention the units when you said his glucose level was 21. If you live in the US, then Glucose is measured in mg/dL and 21 is dangerously low. If you live in Canada, then Glucose is measured in mmol/L and 21 is too high.

Either way it sounds like Ivay's diabetes treatment is not regulated properly. There is no quick answer here as to what to do other than to emphasize how important it is to have your vet involved in the decisions around insulin dosages. Your vet may want to run a glucose curve which looks at the glucose level throughout the day. Generally, you can't make a decision on changing insulin doses based on just a single value.

The fact that Ivay is having trouble jumping is probably related to the diabetes as well. Cats with diabetes can get something called diabetic polyneuropathy which is a condition that affects the muscles of the back legs and makes them very weak.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at Ivay again and do some more tests. It definitely sounds like he is very unwell.

Hope things improve soon,

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9858 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (13153 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (17381 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (6943 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (19997 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (8384 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (16105 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (163302 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (21187 views)

Stop dog fighting. Hi I have 3 dogs and the one dog is a bit pushy towards the other dogs, she will... (5093 views)