Diabetic cat problems.

Breed: dsh
ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21
he has gained 5 lbs since jan I am giving him lantus insulin 3 units in morning and 2 in evening I am usung a u-100 syringe (same as mine) he wants to eat continually and he is having problems jumping up now with his weight I am watching his food intake but nothing seems to helpwhat can I do for him

I'm sorry to hear that Ivay is having problems. Issues surrounding diabetes can be very complicated.

You did not mention the units when you said his glucose level was 21. If you live in the US, then Glucose is measured in mg/dL and 21 is dangerously low. If you live in Canada, then Glucose is measured in mmol/L and 21 is too high.

Either way it sounds like Ivay's diabetes treatment is not regulated properly. There is no quick answer here as to what to do other than to emphasize how important it is to have your vet involved in the decisions around insulin dosages. Your vet may want to run a glucose curve which looks at the glucose level throughout the day. Generally, you can't make a decision on changing insulin doses based on just a single value.

The fact that Ivay is having trouble jumping is probably related to the diabetes as well. Cats with diabetes can get something called diabetic polyneuropathy which is a condition that affects the muscles of the back legs and makes them very weak.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at Ivay again and do some more tests. It definitely sounds like he is very unwell.

Hope things improve soon,

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (6657 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (13039 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (9267 views)

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (8488 views)

Dog had large tumor and died. Our dog Jessie, just passed away suddenly on Friday morning. She went off on her... (12697 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (7026 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (19618 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (14812 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (10318 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4691 views)