Diabetic cat problems.

Breed: dsh
ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21
he has gained 5 lbs since jan I am giving him lantus insulin 3 units in morning and 2 in evening I am usung a u-100 syringe (same as mine) he wants to eat continually and he is having problems jumping up now with his weight I am watching his food intake but nothing seems to helpwhat can I do for him

I'm sorry to hear that Ivay is having problems. Issues surrounding diabetes can be very complicated.

You did not mention the units when you said his glucose level was 21. If you live in the US, then Glucose is measured in mg/dL and 21 is dangerously low. If you live in Canada, then Glucose is measured in mmol/L and 21 is too high.

Either way it sounds like Ivay's diabetes treatment is not regulated properly. There is no quick answer here as to what to do other than to emphasize how important it is to have your vet involved in the decisions around insulin dosages. Your vet may want to run a glucose curve which looks at the glucose level throughout the day. Generally, you can't make a decision on changing insulin doses based on just a single value.

The fact that Ivay is having trouble jumping is probably related to the diabetes as well. Cats with diabetes can get something called diabetic polyneuropathy which is a condition that affects the muscles of the back legs and makes them very weak.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at Ivay again and do some more tests. It definitely sounds like he is very unwell.

Hope things improve soon,

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (78171 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (31145 views)

Swollen ear flap. i have a dog named shiloh and something is wrong with his ear and i just need to... (12856 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (25950 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (17193 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (11753 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (14166 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (12367 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (7249 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (15087 views)