Dog has lost her voice.

Breed: Coydog
What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to howl she sounds hoarse and gets minimal sound out.

I do tend to get worried when an older dog loses her voice.

This usually means that there is a problem with the larynx (voice box). Unfortunately in a dog of this age and with the symptoms coming on gradually there is a high possibility that she could have a tumor on her larynx.

Does she have any problems breathing? Some dogs can get a condition called laryngeal paralysis which causes the larynx to not open properly. This can cause breathing problems as well as voice changes.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at her soon.

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11796 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (9980 views)

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (23190 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (13602 views)

Lentigo on a daschund. Dear Dr. Marie, I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when... (35776 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5486 views)

Prednisone and Tramadol for Neck Pain. Seymour is a 7-year old black neufy/mix, 110 lbs,very strong and energetic. The... (15543 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (10128 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (109137 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (24369 views)