Dog has lost her voice.

Breed: Coydog
What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to howl she sounds hoarse and gets minimal sound out.

I do tend to get worried when an older dog loses her voice.

This usually means that there is a problem with the larynx (voice box). Unfortunately in a dog of this age and with the symptoms coming on gradually there is a high possibility that she could have a tumor on her larynx.

Does she have any problems breathing? Some dogs can get a condition called laryngeal paralysis which causes the larynx to not open properly. This can cause breathing problems as well as voice changes.

It would be a great idea to have your vet take a look at her soon.

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (31317 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (12328 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (6523 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (14127 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (11566 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (60243 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (7054 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (19856 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (10195 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (10003 views)