Wheatgrass for cats?

Breed: N/A
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy to eat wheat grass, I am trying my little effort to see if it is ok for him on l/d diet.

On July 2012, ALT from blood test is higher than normal 143 U/L. Having l/d diet helped to keep it normal. We repeatedly tested with the effect to change to l/d diet to weight reducing diet which made ALT 188 U/L again in Dec 2012. So, in 2013, he kept l/d diet and made stable record of normal ALT. See the bottom for the perfect blood test report.

The vet here suggested me not to take the risk for feeding wheat grass even small quantity. So I would like to hear about your opinion if I can feed him little (few pieces) per week. Will it also be ok to feed him little fish (as small as 1cm cube per month).

Breed: (I dont know. common type. photo here)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh0tl9fjgoy41gp/P8260018.JPG

Last blood test report:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0bulrm7tzm81k0/20130831_BloodTestP1.pdf

Thank you very much. We look forward to your advice. Thank you!

Doris

Hi Doris,

I don't have much experience with giving wheat grass to cats so I did some research for you. Giving wheatgrass is *probably* not likely to cause harm but I could not find any conclusive evidence that it would help at all. I'm not sure if the reason to give Fei Meow wheatgrass was for medicinal reasons or just because it is something that he enjoys. If he enjoys it, then again, it is *probably* ok. I say, "probably" because there haven't been any studies done to show if it is harmful to the liver.

With that being said, there are a lot of things we don't know about how cats handle supplements and this is probably why your vet has said to stay away from it. If this were my case and the cat really enjoyed eating wheatgrass then I would probably allow it and after he had been having it for a month or so, do some more bloodwork to see if the liver enzymes are still in the normal range.

However, if your vet has recommended against feeding it, there may be good reason. If you are not sure what to do I would follow the advice of your vet.

A small amount of fish per month really should be fine.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Giving wheat grass for Fei Meow is purely it is his favorite. I think I will try giving small dose of wheat grass (5 pieces) per month.

Thanks for the permission for small amount of fish. I have given little salmon and thus the quota for this month is gone. :) He did enjoy little, remaining some very little. I guess he means enough. :P

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Doris

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (6394 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (15965 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (6156 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (54036 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (13065 views)

Dog can't poop. okay hi how r u doing? my little dog she is a puppy she is 8 months she cant booboo... (14409 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (6312 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (12832 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (12424 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (9280 views)