Wheatgrass for cats?

Breed: N/A
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy to eat wheat grass, I am trying my little effort to see if it is ok for him on l/d diet.

On July 2012, ALT from blood test is higher than normal 143 U/L. Having l/d diet helped to keep it normal. We repeatedly tested with the effect to change to l/d diet to weight reducing diet which made ALT 188 U/L again in Dec 2012. So, in 2013, he kept l/d diet and made stable record of normal ALT. See the bottom for the perfect blood test report.

The vet here suggested me not to take the risk for feeding wheat grass even small quantity. So I would like to hear about your opinion if I can feed him little (few pieces) per week. Will it also be ok to feed him little fish (as small as 1cm cube per month).

Breed: (I dont know. common type. photo here)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh0tl9fjgoy41gp/P8260018.JPG

Last blood test report:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0bulrm7tzm81k0/20130831_BloodTestP1.pdf

Thank you very much. We look forward to your advice. Thank you!

Doris

Hi Doris,

I don't have much experience with giving wheat grass to cats so I did some research for you. Giving wheatgrass is *probably* not likely to cause harm but I could not find any conclusive evidence that it would help at all. I'm not sure if the reason to give Fei Meow wheatgrass was for medicinal reasons or just because it is something that he enjoys. If he enjoys it, then again, it is *probably* ok. I say, "probably" because there haven't been any studies done to show if it is harmful to the liver.

With that being said, there are a lot of things we don't know about how cats handle supplements and this is probably why your vet has said to stay away from it. If this were my case and the cat really enjoyed eating wheatgrass then I would probably allow it and after he had been having it for a month or so, do some more bloodwork to see if the liver enzymes are still in the normal range.

However, if your vet has recommended against feeding it, there may be good reason. If you are not sure what to do I would follow the advice of your vet.

A small amount of fish per month really should be fine.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Giving wheat grass for Fei Meow is purely it is his favorite. I think I will try giving small dose of wheat grass (5 pieces) per month.

Thanks for the permission for small amount of fish. I have given little salmon and thus the quota for this month is gone. :) He did enjoy little, remaining some very little. I guess he means enough. :P

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Doris

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (5550 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (6466 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8636 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10782 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (18691 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (6665 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6966 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (5764 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (8613 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (7481 views)