How often to give Benadryl?

Breed: french bulldog
Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have her with my Vet's supervision on a low dose of benadryl (1/2 tab) in AM and in PM to help with congestion. Tonight she is really congested and was wondering if I should give her another dose? It is in the middle of the night.

I'm sorry about the slight delay in answering your question. I forgot to turn my online status off before going to bed. But fortunately, I got up to feed the baby and saw your question so I am able to answer now.

If benadryl seems to work for Lola May's breathing issue then it is safe to give it every 8 hours for dogs. So if it has been 8 hours (or close to it) then yes, you can safely give another dose.

Benadryl really doesn't do much for congestion. It is an anti-histamine, but I personally have not found it does much for allergies in dogs other than for allergic reactions to things like bee stings. But again, if it works for her, then it is definitely safe.

Hope she feels better soon,

Thank you Dr. Marie -

If Benadryl really does nothing for congestion, what do you recommend for Lola May? She is really congested.

Thank you,

There really isn't a particular medicine for congestion in dogs. Usually if dogs are congested there is an underlying reason for it such as allergies, an infection in the nose, a dental problem or similar issues.

Again, if Benadryl seems to work then I would stick with it as necessary. Otherwise you could talk to your vet and ask whether they feel that antibiotics or perhaps steroids (to help with swelling) could be helpful.

A lot of pugs just always sound congested because of the way that their noses are built. However, if this is something that comes and goes then the above treatments may be helpful.

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (17434 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (19987 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (11478 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (12237 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (14376 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (13799 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (11250 views)

Lumps on hamster. Hi , my hamster is all covered with lumps , some of them are bleeding,and new ones... (10816 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6899 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (65321 views)