How often to give Benadryl?

Breed: french bulldog
Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have her with my Vet's supervision on a low dose of benadryl (1/2 tab) in AM and in PM to help with congestion. Tonight she is really congested and was wondering if I should give her another dose? It is in the middle of the night.

I'm sorry about the slight delay in answering your question. I forgot to turn my online status off before going to bed. But fortunately, I got up to feed the baby and saw your question so I am able to answer now.

If benadryl seems to work for Lola May's breathing issue then it is safe to give it every 8 hours for dogs. So if it has been 8 hours (or close to it) then yes, you can safely give another dose.

Benadryl really doesn't do much for congestion. It is an anti-histamine, but I personally have not found it does much for allergies in dogs other than for allergic reactions to things like bee stings. But again, if it works for her, then it is definitely safe.

Hope she feels better soon,

Thank you Dr. Marie -

If Benadryl really does nothing for congestion, what do you recommend for Lola May? She is really congested.

Thank you,

There really isn't a particular medicine for congestion in dogs. Usually if dogs are congested there is an underlying reason for it such as allergies, an infection in the nose, a dental problem or similar issues.

Again, if Benadryl seems to work then I would stick with it as necessary. Otherwise you could talk to your vet and ask whether they feel that antibiotics or perhaps steroids (to help with swelling) could be helpful.

A lot of pugs just always sound congested because of the way that their noses are built. However, if this is something that comes and goes then the above treatments may be helpful.

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (8950 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5728 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (49483 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (16621 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (12822 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (17746 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (14720 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (11839 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (10696 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (35135 views)