How often to give Benadryl?

Breed: french bulldog
Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have her with my Vet's supervision on a low dose of benadryl (1/2 tab) in AM and in PM to help with congestion. Tonight she is really congested and was wondering if I should give her another dose? It is in the middle of the night.

I'm sorry about the slight delay in answering your question. I forgot to turn my online status off before going to bed. But fortunately, I got up to feed the baby and saw your question so I am able to answer now.

If benadryl seems to work for Lola May's breathing issue then it is safe to give it every 8 hours for dogs. So if it has been 8 hours (or close to it) then yes, you can safely give another dose.

Benadryl really doesn't do much for congestion. It is an anti-histamine, but I personally have not found it does much for allergies in dogs other than for allergic reactions to things like bee stings. But again, if it works for her, then it is definitely safe.

Hope she feels better soon,

Thank you Dr. Marie -

If Benadryl really does nothing for congestion, what do you recommend for Lola May? She is really congested.

Thank you,

There really isn't a particular medicine for congestion in dogs. Usually if dogs are congested there is an underlying reason for it such as allergies, an infection in the nose, a dental problem or similar issues.

Again, if Benadryl seems to work then I would stick with it as necessary. Otherwise you could talk to your vet and ask whether they feel that antibiotics or perhaps steroids (to help with swelling) could be helpful.

A lot of pugs just always sound congested because of the way that their noses are built. However, if this is something that comes and goes then the above treatments may be helpful.

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (14300 views)

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (9537 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (25159 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (6297 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (11904 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (16611 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (17276 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (21030 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (5154 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (18463 views)