How often to give Benadryl?

Breed: french bulldog
Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have her with my Vet's supervision on a low dose of benadryl (1/2 tab) in AM and in PM to help with congestion. Tonight she is really congested and was wondering if I should give her another dose? It is in the middle of the night.

I'm sorry about the slight delay in answering your question. I forgot to turn my online status off before going to bed. But fortunately, I got up to feed the baby and saw your question so I am able to answer now.

If benadryl seems to work for Lola May's breathing issue then it is safe to give it every 8 hours for dogs. So if it has been 8 hours (or close to it) then yes, you can safely give another dose.

Benadryl really doesn't do much for congestion. It is an anti-histamine, but I personally have not found it does much for allergies in dogs other than for allergic reactions to things like bee stings. But again, if it works for her, then it is definitely safe.

Hope she feels better soon,

Thank you Dr. Marie -

If Benadryl really does nothing for congestion, what do you recommend for Lola May? She is really congested.

Thank you,

There really isn't a particular medicine for congestion in dogs. Usually if dogs are congested there is an underlying reason for it such as allergies, an infection in the nose, a dental problem or similar issues.

Again, if Benadryl seems to work then I would stick with it as necessary. Otherwise you could talk to your vet and ask whether they feel that antibiotics or perhaps steroids (to help with swelling) could be helpful.

A lot of pugs just always sound congested because of the way that their noses are built. However, if this is something that comes and goes then the above treatments may be helpful.

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7178 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (16145 views)

Heterochromia in a cat. I recently got a cat as a rescue. She is white, with light grey and yellow... (10957 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (21443 views)

Cryptosporidium and clostridium. I am hoping for confirmation that we are on the right track with treating our two 11... (18360 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (43512 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (52684 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (7444 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (14467 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (23636 views)