Dog vomiting clear fluid.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over the kitchen floor. (We were away at the time) when we got home she did it in the dining room as well. Then tonight we left for a few hours and came home to more in the kitchen. About five to six "puddles" each time. The concerning part is that in two of the "puddles" tonight there was a hint of blood. Since the blood was in round three is it safe to assume that was reactionary to the vomiting or regurgitation? How concerned should we be?
Keith

Sorry to hear that Cassie is not feeling well. It's often hard to know why a pet is vomiting. However, in regards to your question about whether or not to be concerned about the blood, usually my answer is "no".

In many cases, blood can be there because a small blood vessel or capillary is broken with the force of the vomiting.

If there is active bleeding in the stomach, the blood gets digested and when it is vomiting it looks like coffee grounds. If you are seeing red blood, then it is unlikely to be anything serious.

However, if there is a lot of blood or if she starts to bleed from other areas then a blood clotting problem (i.e. after ingestion of a toxin like rat poison) could be a concern. This is unlikely though.

In most cases, if a dog is feeling relatively well but vomiting then a fast from food for 24 hours (water is ok) followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice solves the problem. However, if she seems really unwell or if the vomiting is still going on tomorrow then a vet visit is a good idea.

Hope that helps. Feel free to reply if you have more concerns. I am heading to bed now, but can answer in the morning.

Thank you Dr. Marie!! Cassie does seem to be feeling pretty chipper. We will follow your instructions. Have a great weekend!
Keith

You're very welcome! And thanks so much for the bonus!

I am thinking of putting some of my customer feedback on the front page along with a picture of the customer. Any chance you would like to send me a picture either of just you or you and your pet? If so, it would be greatly appreciated!

You can send it to drmarie@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks, hope Cassie is doing well today.

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (55861 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (11478 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (13272 views)

Cat with renal lymphoma. I have a 7 year old female cat who, over the course of the past six months,... (9766 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (15902 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (46789 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (53220 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (75928 views)

Eye problem. Chances eyes are really red all the time and gets a bunch of eye snot I clean it out... (9245 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (14080 views)