Dog vomiting clear fluid.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over the kitchen floor. (We were away at the time) when we got home she did it in the dining room as well. Then tonight we left for a few hours and came home to more in the kitchen. About five to six "puddles" each time. The concerning part is that in two of the "puddles" tonight there was a hint of blood. Since the blood was in round three is it safe to assume that was reactionary to the vomiting or regurgitation? How concerned should we be?
Keith

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Sorry to hear that Cassie is not feeling well. It's often hard to know why a pet is vomiting. However, in regards to your question about whether or not to be concerned about the blood, usually my answer is "no".

In many cases, blood can be there because a small blood vessel or capillary is broken with the force of the vomiting.

If there is active bleeding in the stomach, the blood gets digested and when it is vomiting it looks like coffee grounds. If you are seeing red blood, then it is unlikely to be anything serious.

However, if there is a lot of blood or if she starts to bleed from other areas then a blood clotting problem (i.e. after ingestion of a toxin like rat poison) could be a concern. This is unlikely though.

In most cases, if a dog is feeling relatively well but vomiting then a fast from food for 24 hours (water is ok) followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice solves the problem. However, if she seems really unwell or if the vomiting is still going on tomorrow then a vet visit is a good idea.

Hope that helps. Feel free to reply if you have more concerns. I am heading to bed now, but can answer in the morning.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Thank you Dr. Marie!! Cassie does seem to be feeling pretty chipper. We will follow your instructions. Have a great weekend!
Keith

You're very welcome! And thanks so much for the bonus!

I am thinking of putting some of my customer feedback on the front page along with a picture of the customer. Any chance you would like to send me a picture either of just you or you and your pet? If so, it would be greatly appreciated!

You can send it to drmarie@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks, hope Cassie is doing well today.

Vomiting dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling... (2731 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (12057 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (13873 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (11203 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (14559 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (5628 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (4318 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (37323 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (7328 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (10593 views)