Dog vomiting clear fluid.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over the kitchen floor. (We were away at the time) when we got home she did it in the dining room as well. Then tonight we left for a few hours and came home to more in the kitchen. About five to six "puddles" each time. The concerning part is that in two of the "puddles" tonight there was a hint of blood. Since the blood was in round three is it safe to assume that was reactionary to the vomiting or regurgitation? How concerned should we be?
Keith

Sorry to hear that Cassie is not feeling well. It's often hard to know why a pet is vomiting. However, in regards to your question about whether or not to be concerned about the blood, usually my answer is "no".

In many cases, blood can be there because a small blood vessel or capillary is broken with the force of the vomiting.

If there is active bleeding in the stomach, the blood gets digested and when it is vomiting it looks like coffee grounds. If you are seeing red blood, then it is unlikely to be anything serious.

However, if there is a lot of blood or if she starts to bleed from other areas then a blood clotting problem (i.e. after ingestion of a toxin like rat poison) could be a concern. This is unlikely though.

In most cases, if a dog is feeling relatively well but vomiting then a fast from food for 24 hours (water is ok) followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice solves the problem. However, if she seems really unwell or if the vomiting is still going on tomorrow then a vet visit is a good idea.

Hope that helps. Feel free to reply if you have more concerns. I am heading to bed now, but can answer in the morning.

Thank you Dr. Marie!! Cassie does seem to be feeling pretty chipper. We will follow your instructions. Have a great weekend!
Keith

You're very welcome! And thanks so much for the bonus!

I am thinking of putting some of my customer feedback on the front page along with a picture of the customer. Any chance you would like to send me a picture either of just you or you and your pet? If so, it would be greatly appreciated!

You can send it to drmarie@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks, hope Cassie is doing well today.

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (54893 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (15987 views)

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (12438 views)

Suddenly jumps up. I have a dauschund and sheltie mix dog. He's about 3 years old. I've had him for 2... (62910 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (7304 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (12641 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (23682 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (34962 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5418 views)

Dog ate duck bones. Hi Dr. Marie, Poppy nipped one piece of cooked duck wing bone 2 days ago at lunch... (29694 views)