Dog vomiting clear fluid.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over the kitchen floor. (We were away at the time) when we got home she did it in the dining room as well. Then tonight we left for a few hours and came home to more in the kitchen. About five to six "puddles" each time. The concerning part is that in two of the "puddles" tonight there was a hint of blood. Since the blood was in round three is it safe to assume that was reactionary to the vomiting or regurgitation? How concerned should we be?
Keith

Sorry to hear that Cassie is not feeling well. It's often hard to know why a pet is vomiting. However, in regards to your question about whether or not to be concerned about the blood, usually my answer is "no".

In many cases, blood can be there because a small blood vessel or capillary is broken with the force of the vomiting.

If there is active bleeding in the stomach, the blood gets digested and when it is vomiting it looks like coffee grounds. If you are seeing red blood, then it is unlikely to be anything serious.

However, if there is a lot of blood or if she starts to bleed from other areas then a blood clotting problem (i.e. after ingestion of a toxin like rat poison) could be a concern. This is unlikely though.

In most cases, if a dog is feeling relatively well but vomiting then a fast from food for 24 hours (water is ok) followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice solves the problem. However, if she seems really unwell or if the vomiting is still going on tomorrow then a vet visit is a good idea.

Hope that helps. Feel free to reply if you have more concerns. I am heading to bed now, but can answer in the morning.

Thank you Dr. Marie!! Cassie does seem to be feeling pretty chipper. We will follow your instructions. Have a great weekend!
Keith

You're very welcome! And thanks so much for the bonus!

I am thinking of putting some of my customer feedback on the front page along with a picture of the customer. Any chance you would like to send me a picture either of just you or you and your pet? If so, it would be greatly appreciated!

You can send it to drmarie@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks, hope Cassie is doing well today.

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (9252 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (10437 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (13831 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (11718 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (6625 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (14012 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (12269 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (13454 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (17312 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (32379 views)