Dog vomiting clear fluid.

Breed: Shih Tzu
Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over the kitchen floor. (We were away at the time) when we got home she did it in the dining room as well. Then tonight we left for a few hours and came home to more in the kitchen. About five to six "puddles" each time. The concerning part is that in two of the "puddles" tonight there was a hint of blood. Since the blood was in round three is it safe to assume that was reactionary to the vomiting or regurgitation? How concerned should we be?
Keith

Sorry to hear that Cassie is not feeling well. It's often hard to know why a pet is vomiting. However, in regards to your question about whether or not to be concerned about the blood, usually my answer is "no".

In many cases, blood can be there because a small blood vessel or capillary is broken with the force of the vomiting.

If there is active bleeding in the stomach, the blood gets digested and when it is vomiting it looks like coffee grounds. If you are seeing red blood, then it is unlikely to be anything serious.

However, if there is a lot of blood or if she starts to bleed from other areas then a blood clotting problem (i.e. after ingestion of a toxin like rat poison) could be a concern. This is unlikely though.

In most cases, if a dog is feeling relatively well but vomiting then a fast from food for 24 hours (water is ok) followed by small meals of cooked chicken and rice solves the problem. However, if she seems really unwell or if the vomiting is still going on tomorrow then a vet visit is a good idea.

Hope that helps. Feel free to reply if you have more concerns. I am heading to bed now, but can answer in the morning.

Thank you Dr. Marie!! Cassie does seem to be feeling pretty chipper. We will follow your instructions. Have a great weekend!
Keith

You're very welcome! And thanks so much for the bonus!

I am thinking of putting some of my customer feedback on the front page along with a picture of the customer. Any chance you would like to send me a picture either of just you or you and your pet? If so, it would be greatly appreciated!

You can send it to drmarie@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks, hope Cassie is doing well today.

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (5826 views)

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (86940 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (7431 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (12799 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (13409 views)

Pea sized lump. Hi Dr. This morning I noticed a pea-sized lump on one of Max's ribs on the left... (53592 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (3922 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (10100 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (12405 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (3918 views)