Epogen for cat with anemia.

Breed: Domestic Long Hair C

I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently diagnosed with anemia.
Here are the blood results:
Red blood cell count: 3.94
Hemoglobin: 5.5
Hematocrit: 15.7

The vet wants to give my cat Epogen injections 3 times a week for 3 weeks. It will be very difficult for me to travel to the vet's office this often. Do you think this amount of injections is necessary?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear that your cat is having problems with anemia. These values definitely are lower than normal and significantly low as well.

Do you know if he is dealing with kidney problems as well? Cats with kidney disease can often have anemia and these are the cases where Epogen can help to get the red cell level up. The reason for this is that cats in kidney failure will often not produce a substance in their kidneys called erythropoietin which is partly produced in the kidneys. If we substitute with Epogen then this can really help.

But, if there is no kidney failure, then it is debatable whether Epogen will be of use.

With that being said, I have heard of cases where vets were quite certain that Epogen helped anemia in non-renal failure kitties. If your vet has recommended this treatment then it is possible that they have had good experience with using it.

I think the biggest concern here is why your cat has anemia as we don't tend to just see anemia in cats. There has to be some type of underlying reason for it. Hopefully you and your vet are able to sort that out.

I can't give you a definitive yes or no answer to your question. But, I can tell you that your vet would not have recommended it unless they felt it was going to help.

I hope things look up soon!

Thank you for replying. I think they said the kidney values were on the high side but I do not have them. My concern is the dosage. Do you find the dosage frequency normal? I feel that I'm being taken advantage of and thinking of finding another vet.

Epogen does indeed need to be given regularly to be effective.

I have found that it is quite rare for a vet to prescribe a treatment just to make money. Still, if you don't feel comfortable, there is no harm in seeking a second opinion.

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (21021 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (14340 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (15033 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (4820 views)

Sending dog to UK. My cats were given Killed Virus 3 year vaccine (Fort Dodge Rabvac 3TF) at 4 months... (6799 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (8725 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (23961 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (22906 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (10294 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (20308 views)