Epogen for cat with anemia.

Breed: Domestic Long Hair C

I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently diagnosed with anemia.
Here are the blood results:
Red blood cell count: 3.94
Hemoglobin: 5.5
Hematocrit: 15.7

The vet wants to give my cat Epogen injections 3 times a week for 3 weeks. It will be very difficult for me to travel to the vet's office this often. Do you think this amount of injections is necessary?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear that your cat is having problems with anemia. These values definitely are lower than normal and significantly low as well.

Do you know if he is dealing with kidney problems as well? Cats with kidney disease can often have anemia and these are the cases where Epogen can help to get the red cell level up. The reason for this is that cats in kidney failure will often not produce a substance in their kidneys called erythropoietin which is partly produced in the kidneys. If we substitute with Epogen then this can really help.

But, if there is no kidney failure, then it is debatable whether Epogen will be of use.

With that being said, I have heard of cases where vets were quite certain that Epogen helped anemia in non-renal failure kitties. If your vet has recommended this treatment then it is possible that they have had good experience with using it.

I think the biggest concern here is why your cat has anemia as we don't tend to just see anemia in cats. There has to be some type of underlying reason for it. Hopefully you and your vet are able to sort that out.

I can't give you a definitive yes or no answer to your question. But, I can tell you that your vet would not have recommended it unless they felt it was going to help.

I hope things look up soon!

Thank you for replying. I think they said the kidney values were on the high side but I do not have them. My concern is the dosage. Do you find the dosage frequency normal? I feel that I'm being taken advantage of and thinking of finding another vet.

Epogen does indeed need to be given regularly to be effective.

I have found that it is quite rare for a vet to prescribe a treatment just to make money. Still, if you don't feel comfortable, there is no harm in seeking a second opinion.

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (16416 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5334 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (28569 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (23649 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (11745 views)

Brain tumor or epilepsy? Hi Dr. Marie I have a yellow lab named Sam He experienced seizures twice... (10073 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (11320 views)

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (22993 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (8422 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (16067 views)