Epogen for cat with anemia.

Breed: Domestic Long Hair C

I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently diagnosed with anemia.
Here are the blood results:
Red blood cell count: 3.94
Hemoglobin: 5.5
Hematocrit: 15.7

The vet wants to give my cat Epogen injections 3 times a week for 3 weeks. It will be very difficult for me to travel to the vet's office this often. Do you think this amount of injections is necessary?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear that your cat is having problems with anemia. These values definitely are lower than normal and significantly low as well.

Do you know if he is dealing with kidney problems as well? Cats with kidney disease can often have anemia and these are the cases where Epogen can help to get the red cell level up. The reason for this is that cats in kidney failure will often not produce a substance in their kidneys called erythropoietin which is partly produced in the kidneys. If we substitute with Epogen then this can really help.

But, if there is no kidney failure, then it is debatable whether Epogen will be of use.

With that being said, I have heard of cases where vets were quite certain that Epogen helped anemia in non-renal failure kitties. If your vet has recommended this treatment then it is possible that they have had good experience with using it.

I think the biggest concern here is why your cat has anemia as we don't tend to just see anemia in cats. There has to be some type of underlying reason for it. Hopefully you and your vet are able to sort that out.

I can't give you a definitive yes or no answer to your question. But, I can tell you that your vet would not have recommended it unless they felt it was going to help.

I hope things look up soon!

Thank you for replying. I think they said the kidney values were on the high side but I do not have them. My concern is the dosage. Do you find the dosage frequency normal? I feel that I'm being taken advantage of and thinking of finding another vet.

Epogen does indeed need to be given regularly to be effective.

I have found that it is quite rare for a vet to prescribe a treatment just to make money. Still, if you don't feel comfortable, there is no harm in seeking a second opinion.

Chicken jerky treats making dog sick My 2 yr old Shizu/Poodle has been scratching and her water intake seems to have... (6733 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (9873 views)

PPA safety for dogs. Hi, Dr. Marie: I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding... (15055 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (14708 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (16686 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (10911 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (37703 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (45012 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (16428 views)

Baby shampoo for a cat? My cat accidentally got pee on himself after we had to take him somewhere in his... (17566 views)