Epogen for cat with anemia.

Breed: Domestic Long Hair C

I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently diagnosed with anemia.
Here are the blood results:
Red blood cell count: 3.94
Hemoglobin: 5.5
Hematocrit: 15.7

The vet wants to give my cat Epogen injections 3 times a week for 3 weeks. It will be very difficult for me to travel to the vet's office this often. Do you think this amount of injections is necessary?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear that your cat is having problems with anemia. These values definitely are lower than normal and significantly low as well.

Do you know if he is dealing with kidney problems as well? Cats with kidney disease can often have anemia and these are the cases where Epogen can help to get the red cell level up. The reason for this is that cats in kidney failure will often not produce a substance in their kidneys called erythropoietin which is partly produced in the kidneys. If we substitute with Epogen then this can really help.

But, if there is no kidney failure, then it is debatable whether Epogen will be of use.

With that being said, I have heard of cases where vets were quite certain that Epogen helped anemia in non-renal failure kitties. If your vet has recommended this treatment then it is possible that they have had good experience with using it.

I think the biggest concern here is why your cat has anemia as we don't tend to just see anemia in cats. There has to be some type of underlying reason for it. Hopefully you and your vet are able to sort that out.

I can't give you a definitive yes or no answer to your question. But, I can tell you that your vet would not have recommended it unless they felt it was going to help.

I hope things look up soon!

Thank you for replying. I think they said the kidney values were on the high side but I do not have them. My concern is the dosage. Do you find the dosage frequency normal? I feel that I'm being taken advantage of and thinking of finding another vet.

Epogen does indeed need to be given regularly to be effective.

I have found that it is quite rare for a vet to prescribe a treatment just to make money. Still, if you don't feel comfortable, there is no harm in seeking a second opinion.

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (9480 views)

Cat falling over. for the last while my cat is having a hard time walking and is falling over. When he... (18466 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (39455 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (5050 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (89273 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (9851 views)

Found bug in dog's ear. Hello, My name is Karroll I have a 4 year old Chihuahua. Lattly he has been... (9555 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9268 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (21879 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (10395 views)