Problems after spay.

Breed: Olde English Bulldog
Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with controlling her activity level. Unlike our other dog that was fixed in the past, Camie seemed to be well and active right away. So we let her be. I know we shouldn't have, but we did. Well yesterday I noticed a bit of a lump at the incision. I looked it up, and found that it can be normal. I've been making sure she's taking it easy since. Then this afternoon she vomited twice (a mustard colored liquid) and diarrhea once the same stuff. She still seems to be in pretty good spirits considering. I gave her some left over pain meds and decided I'd call the vet in the morn. I know I've been a bad mother for not following the rules from the beginning, but can you tell me what you think may be happening and how serious it is? Should I be worried enough to take her to emergency tonight or will waiting till the morning be reasonable? Thank you.

Thanks for your question.

First of all, don't be too hard on yourself! It is hard to keep a dog quiet after surgery. I am always amazed by how active they want to be. If a person has an abdominal surgery we don't want to move at all for weeks afterwards, but dogs are pretty darn amazing and hard to keep still after surgery.

A "bit of a lump" at the end of an incision is usually nothing to worry about. It can be common to have a lump where the knot is tied at the end of the incision. This usually goes away on its own. Where I would be worried is if you are seeing a thick pus, or if the incision was very red and sore for Camie. It sounds like from what you are describing that it is not.

I don't think that the vomiting and diarrhea are connected to what you are seeing with the incision. It's hard to say whether the vomiting and diarrhea are related to the spay or due to something else. I don't usually get too worried when a dog vomits or has diarrhea once or twice, especially if she is still eating and feeling relatively ok.

This really doesn't sound like something that you need to rush in to see the emergency vet with tonight. I do think it is worthwhile to call your vet in the morning though just to check in. They will likely want to see her just to make sure everything is ok, but I would be surprised if this is anything serious.

It's probably a good idea to not give her any more food tonight, but she can still have water.

I hope that helps!

I'll be online for about 10 minutes more before going to bed tonight (till about 9:40 p.m. EST) if you have more questions.

Thank you so much. That gives me some peace tonight! I tend to be a worrier with my dogs. I will call the vet first thing in the morning! Thank you so much!

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (8012 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (10947 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (19561 views)

Chlamydia contagious? Can dogs get chlamydia? I encountered information regarding oral chlamydia&don't... (9433 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (10132 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (6989 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (48090 views)

Cat keeps getting sick. Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took... (4971 views)

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (7148 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (4719 views)