Problems after spay.

Breed: Olde English Bulldog
Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with controlling her activity level. Unlike our other dog that was fixed in the past, Camie seemed to be well and active right away. So we let her be. I know we shouldn't have, but we did. Well yesterday I noticed a bit of a lump at the incision. I looked it up, and found that it can be normal. I've been making sure she's taking it easy since. Then this afternoon she vomited twice (a mustard colored liquid) and diarrhea once the same stuff. She still seems to be in pretty good spirits considering. I gave her some left over pain meds and decided I'd call the vet in the morn. I know I've been a bad mother for not following the rules from the beginning, but can you tell me what you think may be happening and how serious it is? Should I be worried enough to take her to emergency tonight or will waiting till the morning be reasonable? Thank you.

Thanks for your question.

First of all, don't be too hard on yourself! It is hard to keep a dog quiet after surgery. I am always amazed by how active they want to be. If a person has an abdominal surgery we don't want to move at all for weeks afterwards, but dogs are pretty darn amazing and hard to keep still after surgery.

A "bit of a lump" at the end of an incision is usually nothing to worry about. It can be common to have a lump where the knot is tied at the end of the incision. This usually goes away on its own. Where I would be worried is if you are seeing a thick pus, or if the incision was very red and sore for Camie. It sounds like from what you are describing that it is not.

I don't think that the vomiting and diarrhea are connected to what you are seeing with the incision. It's hard to say whether the vomiting and diarrhea are related to the spay or due to something else. I don't usually get too worried when a dog vomits or has diarrhea once or twice, especially if she is still eating and feeling relatively ok.

This really doesn't sound like something that you need to rush in to see the emergency vet with tonight. I do think it is worthwhile to call your vet in the morning though just to check in. They will likely want to see her just to make sure everything is ok, but I would be surprised if this is anything serious.

It's probably a good idea to not give her any more food tonight, but she can still have water.

I hope that helps!

I'll be online for about 10 minutes more before going to bed tonight (till about 9:40 p.m. EST) if you have more questions.

Thank you so much. That gives me some peace tonight! I tend to be a worrier with my dogs. I will call the vet first thing in the morning! Thank you so much!

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (8802 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (4745 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (11637 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (8067 views)

Sore leg in a cat. I recently moved from a ranch house to townhouse(steps) in another city. Winston is... (29287 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (4248 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (4901 views)

Pit bull puppy is sick. My dog was outside and I was callig her, bit she didn't come I went to look for her... (7782 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (9384 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (4967 views)