Problems after spay.

Breed: Olde English Bulldog
Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with controlling her activity level. Unlike our other dog that was fixed in the past, Camie seemed to be well and active right away. So we let her be. I know we shouldn't have, but we did. Well yesterday I noticed a bit of a lump at the incision. I looked it up, and found that it can be normal. I've been making sure she's taking it easy since. Then this afternoon she vomited twice (a mustard colored liquid) and diarrhea once the same stuff. She still seems to be in pretty good spirits considering. I gave her some left over pain meds and decided I'd call the vet in the morn. I know I've been a bad mother for not following the rules from the beginning, but can you tell me what you think may be happening and how serious it is? Should I be worried enough to take her to emergency tonight or will waiting till the morning be reasonable? Thank you.

Thanks for your question.

First of all, don't be too hard on yourself! It is hard to keep a dog quiet after surgery. I am always amazed by how active they want to be. If a person has an abdominal surgery we don't want to move at all for weeks afterwards, but dogs are pretty darn amazing and hard to keep still after surgery.

A "bit of a lump" at the end of an incision is usually nothing to worry about. It can be common to have a lump where the knot is tied at the end of the incision. This usually goes away on its own. Where I would be worried is if you are seeing a thick pus, or if the incision was very red and sore for Camie. It sounds like from what you are describing that it is not.

I don't think that the vomiting and diarrhea are connected to what you are seeing with the incision. It's hard to say whether the vomiting and diarrhea are related to the spay or due to something else. I don't usually get too worried when a dog vomits or has diarrhea once or twice, especially if she is still eating and feeling relatively ok.

This really doesn't sound like something that you need to rush in to see the emergency vet with tonight. I do think it is worthwhile to call your vet in the morning though just to check in. They will likely want to see her just to make sure everything is ok, but I would be surprised if this is anything serious.

It's probably a good idea to not give her any more food tonight, but she can still have water.

I hope that helps!

I'll be online for about 10 minutes more before going to bed tonight (till about 9:40 p.m. EST) if you have more questions.

Thank you so much. That gives me some peace tonight! I tend to be a worrier with my dogs. I will call the vet first thing in the morning! Thank you so much!

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (12832 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (23808 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (9516 views)

Itchy rash near backside My dog has what looks like a rash on her right leg, near her backside and has been... (8870 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (4996 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (7628 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (15023 views)

Can a dog be born with rabies. does dog have rabbies when they were... (13230 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (18234 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6317 views)