Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Problems after spay.

Species: Dog
Breed: Olde English Bulldog
Age: 2-5 years
Camie was fixed last Monday morning. We haven't been very irresponsible with controlling her activity level. Unlike our other dog that was fixed in the past, Camie seemed to be well and active right away. So we let her be. I know we shouldn't have, but we did. Well yesterday I noticed a bit of a lump at the incision. I looked it up, and found that it can be normal. I've been making sure she's taking it easy since. Then this afternoon she vomited twice (a mustard colored liquid) and diarrhea once the same stuff. She still seems to be in pretty good spirits considering. I gave her some left over pain meds and decided I'd call the vet in the morn. I know I've been a bad mother for not following the rules from the beginning, but can you tell me what you think may be happening and how serious it is? Should I be worried enough to take her to emergency tonight or will waiting till the morning be reasonable? Thank you.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks for your question.

First of all, don't be too hard on yourself! It is hard to keep a dog quiet after surgery. I am always amazed by how active they want to be. If a person has an abdominal surgery we don't want to move at all for weeks afterwards, but dogs are pretty darn amazing and hard to keep still after surgery.

A "bit of a lump" at the end of an incision is usually nothing to worry about. It can be common to have a lump where the knot is tied at the end of the incision. This usually goes away on its own. Where I would be worried is if you are seeing a thick pus, or if the incision was very red and sore for Camie. It sounds like from what you are describing that it is not.

I don't think that the vomiting and diarrhea are connected to what you are seeing with the incision. It's hard to say whether the vomiting and diarrhea are related to the spay or due to something else. I don't usually get too worried when a dog vomits or has diarrhea once or twice, especially if she is still eating and feeling relatively ok.

This really doesn't sound like something that you need to rush in to see the emergency vet with tonight. I do think it is worthwhile to call your vet in the morning though just to check in. They will likely want to see her just to make sure everything is ok, but I would be surprised if this is anything serious.

It's probably a good idea to not give her any more food tonight, but she can still have water.

I hope that helps!

I'll be online for about 10 minutes more before going to bed tonight (till about 9:40 p.m. EST) if you have more questions.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Thank you so much. That gives me some peace tonight! I tend to be a worrier with my dogs. I will call the vet first thing in the morning! Thank you so much!


Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (18349 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (34453 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (58013 views)

Bad breath in puppy. My two month maltese male puppy has really bad breath, what can I do? I'm worrying... (5919 views)

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (12639 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (15959 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (17670 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (10473 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (7901 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (14578 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.