Vomiting dog.

Breed: Chiweenie
My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling a bit down and vomited yellow foam two or three times in a day. Normal stool. We gave him some boiled chicken and rice. 24 hours passed then one more vomit, and the vomit stopped. The next day he had a bit of blood in the stool, still a bit lethargic, however, he would run and play at the park and eat normally. Luckily the blood in the stool was a one-time occurrence. It has been 4 days he has still not been his entire peppy self, but is eating/drinking normal and normal stool. He vomited this morning. He is monitored constantly, but I seem to be at a loss for what to do. He isn't alarmingly lethargic (I have seen him in a very lethargic state in the past), he is just not his normal active self. What should I look for in terms of emergency/urgent symptoms. I have often gone to the vet and the x-rays come out inconclusive or the vet gives him the hydration bubble. He is drinking, so perhaps I should just hold off for a bit. I just feel as tho a week has gone by and I am now in the same position as I was at the start. Thanks in advance for your help.

This is a tough call because there are many possibilities as to what could be causing your dog's symptoms. If he is still eating and drinking normally then most likely you don't need to rush him in to be seen by the vet. However, I would keep an eye on the vomiting. If this continues I'd be a little bit worried about some type of a partial foreign body. In other words, he could have something that is sitting in his stomach and occasionally causing vomiting. Because this could be something very serious, it's always a good idea to get xrays if this is suspected. You're right though...there's a good chance that the xrays are not going to show anything. But, if there *is* something there then the sooner it is acted upon the better.

Here are some other things that would change my mind and say that he should see the vet:

-If his appetite decreases again.
-If there is a significant increase in thirst and the amount he is urinating (as this could be a sign of a kidney problem.)
-If he gets significantly more lethargic
-If things still haven't improved after the weekend.

Hope things work out ok for him!

Thank you so much for your help, Dr. Marie. I will keep monitoring him through the weekend. The vomit happened yesterday morning and luckily did not happen again as of today. I wanted to lay out a timeline in case there was some specific illness that sounded familiar or alarming to you. He ate kibble yesterday, and is drinking normally. He seemed brighter last night. I am looking into possibly changing his food, for he seems to be quite sensitive, and perhaps he is developing some sort of allergy as he turns two years old.
I really appreciate the reply and suggestions. I will be sure to follow them and will definitely take xrays/visit the vet if things don't seem to be improving within the next couple days.
Have a wonderful day/weekend, and thank you again!
Cheers
Maddy

I wouldn't make any changes in his food at this point. The only exception would be if the bag of food is a fairly old one. I have seen some dogs vomit periodically when they are at the bottom of a stale bag of food. That's pretty common with small dogs too. If that's the case then buy a new bag, but don't change brands. If you change his food and he gets better you won't know whether he was just going to get better on his own or whether it really was the food.

Okay, excellent point. I will hold off. I cannot thank you enough for the assistance, Dr. Marie.

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (57545 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (16430 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (17829 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (10693 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (10199 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (8965 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (18984 views)

Bump on cat's ear. Hello, I have found a red bump inside of my cat's ear, it is semi-soft and feels... (23593 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (15684 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (13577 views)