Vomiting dog.

Breed: Chiweenie
My dog Frank is usually very active, but one week ago he was feeling a bit down and vomited yellow foam two or three times in a day. Normal stool. We gave him some boiled chicken and rice. 24 hours passed then one more vomit, and the vomit stopped. The next day he had a bit of blood in the stool, still a bit lethargic, however, he would run and play at the park and eat normally. Luckily the blood in the stool was a one-time occurrence. It has been 4 days he has still not been his entire peppy self, but is eating/drinking normal and normal stool. He vomited this morning. He is monitored constantly, but I seem to be at a loss for what to do. He isn't alarmingly lethargic (I have seen him in a very lethargic state in the past), he is just not his normal active self. What should I look for in terms of emergency/urgent symptoms. I have often gone to the vet and the x-rays come out inconclusive or the vet gives him the hydration bubble. He is drinking, so perhaps I should just hold off for a bit. I just feel as tho a week has gone by and I am now in the same position as I was at the start. Thanks in advance for your help.

This is a tough call because there are many possibilities as to what could be causing your dog's symptoms. If he is still eating and drinking normally then most likely you don't need to rush him in to be seen by the vet. However, I would keep an eye on the vomiting. If this continues I'd be a little bit worried about some type of a partial foreign body. In other words, he could have something that is sitting in his stomach and occasionally causing vomiting. Because this could be something very serious, it's always a good idea to get xrays if this is suspected. You're right though...there's a good chance that the xrays are not going to show anything. But, if there *is* something there then the sooner it is acted upon the better.

Here are some other things that would change my mind and say that he should see the vet:

-If his appetite decreases again.
-If there is a significant increase in thirst and the amount he is urinating (as this could be a sign of a kidney problem.)
-If he gets significantly more lethargic
-If things still haven't improved after the weekend.

Hope things work out ok for him!

Thank you so much for your help, Dr. Marie. I will keep monitoring him through the weekend. The vomit happened yesterday morning and luckily did not happen again as of today. I wanted to lay out a timeline in case there was some specific illness that sounded familiar or alarming to you. He ate kibble yesterday, and is drinking normally. He seemed brighter last night. I am looking into possibly changing his food, for he seems to be quite sensitive, and perhaps he is developing some sort of allergy as he turns two years old.
I really appreciate the reply and suggestions. I will be sure to follow them and will definitely take xrays/visit the vet if things don't seem to be improving within the next couple days.
Have a wonderful day/weekend, and thank you again!
Cheers
Maddy

I wouldn't make any changes in his food at this point. The only exception would be if the bag of food is a fairly old one. I have seen some dogs vomit periodically when they are at the bottom of a stale bag of food. That's pretty common with small dogs too. If that's the case then buy a new bag, but don't change brands. If you change his food and he gets better you won't know whether he was just going to get better on his own or whether it really was the food.

Okay, excellent point. I will hold off. I cannot thank you enough for the assistance, Dr. Marie.

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (31581 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (9237 views)

Swelling near dogs penis My dog is currently at the Vet, but the vet doesn't seem to understand the symptom I... (97168 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (11372 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (9766 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (22834 views)

Kitten is bleeding from vagina. since ive got my kitten she has been crying alot, ive noticed her bleeding aswell... (16271 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (30428 views)

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (8860 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (59527 views)