Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog ate grapes.

Species: Dog
Breed: Westie
Age: 1-2 years
My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes toxic? Do I need an emergency visit?



Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Are grapes bad for dogs?

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

This is always a tough call! It has been shown that a small percentage of dogs can develop renal failure from eating even a small amount of grapes or raisins.

If we play the odds, most likely your dog will be ok. However, the dogs that do get affected are usually very sick and can possibly die.

At 2-3 hours post ingestion it is debatable whether or not inducing vomiting will produce the grapes, but if this were my dog I would probably try it. Here is some info on how to do that:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you wanted to be absolutely sure there is no problem it is not a bad idea to do an emergency visit and have your vet administer some activated charcoal.

Certainly if you notice any signs of kidney problems in the net few days such as increased thirst and urination, lethargy or vomiting then a vet visit is in order.

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (23129 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (5959 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (19873 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (20748 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (15405 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (10720 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (61831 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (30447 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (8186 views)

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (25152 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.