Dog ate grapes.

Breed: Westie
My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes toxic? Do I need an emergency visit?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Are grapes bad for dogs?

This is always a tough call! It has been shown that a small percentage of dogs can develop renal failure from eating even a small amount of grapes or raisins.

If we play the odds, most likely your dog will be ok. However, the dogs that do get affected are usually very sick and can possibly die.

At 2-3 hours post ingestion it is debatable whether or not inducing vomiting will produce the grapes, but if this were my dog I would probably try it. Here is some info on how to do that:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you wanted to be absolutely sure there is no problem it is not a bad idea to do an emergency visit and have your vet administer some activated charcoal.

Certainly if you notice any signs of kidney problems in the net few days such as increased thirst and urination, lethargy or vomiting then a vet visit is in order.

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (10551 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (23034 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (8750 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (14537 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (8840 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (14941 views)

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (18092 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6716 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (11195 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (7429 views)