Dog ate grapes.

Breed: Westie
My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes toxic? Do I need an emergency visit?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Are grapes bad for dogs?

This is always a tough call! It has been shown that a small percentage of dogs can develop renal failure from eating even a small amount of grapes or raisins.

If we play the odds, most likely your dog will be ok. However, the dogs that do get affected are usually very sick and can possibly die.

At 2-3 hours post ingestion it is debatable whether or not inducing vomiting will produce the grapes, but if this were my dog I would probably try it. Here is some info on how to do that:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you wanted to be absolutely sure there is no problem it is not a bad idea to do an emergency visit and have your vet administer some activated charcoal.

Certainly if you notice any signs of kidney problems in the net few days such as increased thirst and urination, lethargy or vomiting then a vet visit is in order.

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (23129 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (5959 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (19873 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (20748 views)

Debris on cat's eye. Good afternoon! My cat seems to be having eye issues. 6 months ago I took her to... (15405 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (10720 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (61831 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (30447 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (8186 views)

Repeat of parvo? my 3 puppies got parvo last week (6/29/2010)they were only 3 months old and they all... (25152 views)