Dog ate grapes.

Breed: Westie
My dog ate 3 grapes! My son gave them to him about 2-3 hours ago. Are grapes toxic? Do I need an emergency visit?

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Are grapes bad for dogs?

This is always a tough call! It has been shown that a small percentage of dogs can develop renal failure from eating even a small amount of grapes or raisins.

If we play the odds, most likely your dog will be ok. However, the dogs that do get affected are usually very sick and can possibly die.

At 2-3 hours post ingestion it is debatable whether or not inducing vomiting will produce the grapes, but if this were my dog I would probably try it. Here is some info on how to do that:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you wanted to be absolutely sure there is no problem it is not a bad idea to do an emergency visit and have your vet administer some activated charcoal.

Certainly if you notice any signs of kidney problems in the net few days such as increased thirst and urination, lethargy or vomiting then a vet visit is in order.

Related question: Are tomatoes bad for dogs?

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (11559 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (9076 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (10356 views)

Wobbly cavalier during pregnancy. Hi, we have a female 3 year old cavalier king charles spaniel. she is 5 weeks... (11046 views)

Itchy red welts on belly. Hi. I have a 4 month old 25lb American Pit Bull puppy name Vino. For the last past... (23279 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (23967 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (28364 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (9631 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (9230 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (13817 views)