Black spot on side of hamster.

Breed: syrian hamster
My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of his back. I always figured it was fur color. About a month ago he started itching and balding around that area. I brought him to the vet which was inconclusive. They gave me mite meds as a precaution. His balding has go worse and I can now see that the black spot is a cluster of black lumps. I don't know if this could be a birthmark or what but he seems to be aiming for that when he scratches.

I'm guessing that what you are seeing on your hamster is a scent gland. Here is a picture of a scent gland on a hamster:

hamster scent gland

(Note, the hamster pictured above had some serious health issues that caused him to lose his hair, so he does not look well. But, I took the picture to be able to show people that a black spot on the side of a hamster is likely a scent gland.)

These glands are normal on Syrian hamsters. They are present on all males. Females do have them, but they tend to be much harder to see.

Sometimes scent glands can become infected which could cause the itchiness and balding. If this is the case, then the vet can prescribe a topical antibiotic cream that may help.

It's also possible for these glands to become cancerous.

And finally, it's possible that the problem is not with the scent glands, but as in the hamster in the picture above, there could be another condition that is causing hair loss such as cushing's disease or parasites such as demodex.

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (19991 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (26012 views)

Limping dog. Hello, My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. ... (21812 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (7229 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (10845 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (15335 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (22423 views)

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (14004 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (19094 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (11415 views)