Black spot on side of hamster.

Breed: syrian hamster
My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of his back. I always figured it was fur color. About a month ago he started itching and balding around that area. I brought him to the vet which was inconclusive. They gave me mite meds as a precaution. His balding has go worse and I can now see that the black spot is a cluster of black lumps. I don't know if this could be a birthmark or what but he seems to be aiming for that when he scratches.

I'm guessing that what you are seeing on your hamster is a scent gland. Here is a picture of a scent gland on a hamster:

hamster scent gland

(Note, the hamster pictured above had some serious health issues that caused him to lose his hair, so he does not look well. But, I took the picture to be able to show people that a black spot on the side of a hamster is likely a scent gland.)

These glands are normal on Syrian hamsters. They are present on all males. Females do have them, but they tend to be much harder to see.

Sometimes scent glands can become infected which could cause the itchiness and balding. If this is the case, then the vet can prescribe a topical antibiotic cream that may help.

It's also possible for these glands to become cancerous.

And finally, it's possible that the problem is not with the scent glands, but as in the hamster in the picture above, there could be another condition that is causing hair loss such as cushing's disease or parasites such as demodex.

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (24213 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (17871 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (19423 views)

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (7485 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (48221 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (10828 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (24713 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (12857 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (10014 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (14991 views)