Black spot on side of hamster.

Breed: syrian hamster
My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of his back. I always figured it was fur color. About a month ago he started itching and balding around that area. I brought him to the vet which was inconclusive. They gave me mite meds as a precaution. His balding has go worse and I can now see that the black spot is a cluster of black lumps. I don't know if this could be a birthmark or what but he seems to be aiming for that when he scratches.

I'm guessing that what you are seeing on your hamster is a scent gland. Here is a picture of a scent gland on a hamster:

hamster scent gland

(Note, the hamster pictured above had some serious health issues that caused him to lose his hair, so he does not look well. But, I took the picture to be able to show people that a black spot on the side of a hamster is likely a scent gland.)

These glands are normal on Syrian hamsters. They are present on all males. Females do have them, but they tend to be much harder to see.

Sometimes scent glands can become infected which could cause the itchiness and balding. If this is the case, then the vet can prescribe a topical antibiotic cream that may help.

It's also possible for these glands to become cancerous.

And finally, it's possible that the problem is not with the scent glands, but as in the hamster in the picture above, there could be another condition that is causing hair loss such as cushing's disease or parasites such as demodex.

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (13316 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (11869 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (10290 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (4612 views)

Dachshund with seizures. Gina had an episode that looked like a seizure about 1.5 years ago for a first time.... (8292 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (33637 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (33540 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (30470 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (17983 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (9992 views)