Black spot on side of hamster.

Breed: syrian hamster
My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of his back. I always figured it was fur color. About a month ago he started itching and balding around that area. I brought him to the vet which was inconclusive. They gave me mite meds as a precaution. His balding has go worse and I can now see that the black spot is a cluster of black lumps. I don't know if this could be a birthmark or what but he seems to be aiming for that when he scratches.

I'm guessing that what you are seeing on your hamster is a scent gland. Here is a picture of a scent gland on a hamster:

hamster scent gland

(Note, the hamster pictured above had some serious health issues that caused him to lose his hair, so he does not look well. But, I took the picture to be able to show people that a black spot on the side of a hamster is likely a scent gland.)

These glands are normal on Syrian hamsters. They are present on all males. Females do have them, but they tend to be much harder to see.

Sometimes scent glands can become infected which could cause the itchiness and balding. If this is the case, then the vet can prescribe a topical antibiotic cream that may help.

It's also possible for these glands to become cancerous.

And finally, it's possible that the problem is not with the scent glands, but as in the hamster in the picture above, there could be another condition that is causing hair loss such as cushing's disease or parasites such as demodex.

Raw skin on nose. My dog has a dry and flaky nose. It is constantly running (clear liquid but from him... (4812 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (9523 views)

German Shepherd not eating. I have a 13 year old female german shepherd. She is currently taking Proin and... (13377 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (7644 views)

Nutritional supplement for repeated fractures. I have a chihuahua who has broken the same leg three times in the last year. The... (9408 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (10220 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (8498 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (14517 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7535 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (9884 views)