Black spot on side of hamster.

Breed: syrian hamster
My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of his back. I always figured it was fur color. About a month ago he started itching and balding around that area. I brought him to the vet which was inconclusive. They gave me mite meds as a precaution. His balding has go worse and I can now see that the black spot is a cluster of black lumps. I don't know if this could be a birthmark or what but he seems to be aiming for that when he scratches.

I'm guessing that what you are seeing on your hamster is a scent gland. Here is a picture of a scent gland on a hamster:

hamster scent gland

(Note, the hamster pictured above had some serious health issues that caused him to lose his hair, so he does not look well. But, I took the picture to be able to show people that a black spot on the side of a hamster is likely a scent gland.)

These glands are normal on Syrian hamsters. They are present on all males. Females do have them, but they tend to be much harder to see.

Sometimes scent glands can become infected which could cause the itchiness and balding. If this is the case, then the vet can prescribe a topical antibiotic cream that may help.

It's also possible for these glands to become cancerous.

And finally, it's possible that the problem is not with the scent glands, but as in the hamster in the picture above, there could be another condition that is causing hair loss such as cushing's disease or parasites such as demodex.

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (15202 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (10289 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (9367 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (21942 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (17626 views)

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8937 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (9138 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (23802 views)

Tracheal collapse. I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will... (7247 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (12702 views)