Guinea pig biting.

Breed: Guinea Pig American/
How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me?

Recently my guinea pig has been trying to nibble my fingers, and she gave me a nip on my lower arm today. It broke the very, very top layer of my skin.

This behavior usually happens when we are watching television on my computer together.

She has a salt lick and I give her apple branches, hay, kibble, apples, and carrots all the time.

Usually, we have amiable relations, and she is excited whenever I come from work.

Guinea pigs are wonderful little creatures but they can have some annoying habits at times!

Female guinea pigs (sows) can have a very strong tendency towards territorial aggressiveness and this may be what you are seeing.

Here are some things that you can try. The idea is to gradually desensitize her to your presence and change her attitude so that she feels very comfortable with you.

For a couple of days, don't pick Squeaky up at all. Several times a day, go to her cage and drop in some kind of treat/veggie that she likes. You can talk to her but don't try to touch her.

Then, after a few days, do the same thing but instead of dropping the treat in, put it next to her with your hand. Do that for a couple of days.

Then, do the same thing, but after you put the treat in the cage, then pet her a little bit. At any point in this process, if she gets aggressive then go back to the previous step for a few days.

The next step would be to actually pick her up while you have a treat in your hand.

You can gradually take her to different places in the house and give her a small treat every now and then so she is comfortable with you.

If this isn't working then another option would be to find a vet who is able to do a guinea pig spay. Spaying her will greatly reduce the hormones that are likely causing her to be aggressive.

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (5130 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (12038 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (45848 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4802 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (9698 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (14642 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8978 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (22412 views)

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (18865 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (10984 views)