Guinea pig biting.

Breed: Guinea Pig American/
How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me?

Recently my guinea pig has been trying to nibble my fingers, and she gave me a nip on my lower arm today. It broke the very, very top layer of my skin.

This behavior usually happens when we are watching television on my computer together.

She has a salt lick and I give her apple branches, hay, kibble, apples, and carrots all the time.

Usually, we have amiable relations, and she is excited whenever I come from work.

Guinea pigs are wonderful little creatures but they can have some annoying habits at times!

Female guinea pigs (sows) can have a very strong tendency towards territorial aggressiveness and this may be what you are seeing.

Here are some things that you can try. The idea is to gradually desensitize her to your presence and change her attitude so that she feels very comfortable with you.

For a couple of days, don't pick Squeaky up at all. Several times a day, go to her cage and drop in some kind of treat/veggie that she likes. You can talk to her but don't try to touch her.

Then, after a few days, do the same thing but instead of dropping the treat in, put it next to her with your hand. Do that for a couple of days.

Then, do the same thing, but after you put the treat in the cage, then pet her a little bit. At any point in this process, if she gets aggressive then go back to the previous step for a few days.

The next step would be to actually pick her up while you have a treat in your hand.

You can gradually take her to different places in the house and give her a small treat every now and then so she is comfortable with you.

If this isn't working then another option would be to find a vet who is able to do a guinea pig spay. Spaying her will greatly reduce the hormones that are likely causing her to be aggressive.

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (7837 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (10212 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4268 views)

Aggressive with food. Dear Dr. Marie: My husband and I adopted our kitten, Tigger, last April, so we've... (4378 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (5233 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (134671 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (7778 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (7489 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (11834 views)

Hot spot on head. My dog has a raw spot on the top of his head that looks like a hotspot. He has... (6839 views)