Guinea pig biting.

Breed: Guinea Pig American/
How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me?

Recently my guinea pig has been trying to nibble my fingers, and she gave me a nip on my lower arm today. It broke the very, very top layer of my skin.

This behavior usually happens when we are watching television on my computer together.

She has a salt lick and I give her apple branches, hay, kibble, apples, and carrots all the time.

Usually, we have amiable relations, and she is excited whenever I come from work.

Guinea pigs are wonderful little creatures but they can have some annoying habits at times!

Female guinea pigs (sows) can have a very strong tendency towards territorial aggressiveness and this may be what you are seeing.

Here are some things that you can try. The idea is to gradually desensitize her to your presence and change her attitude so that she feels very comfortable with you.

For a couple of days, don't pick Squeaky up at all. Several times a day, go to her cage and drop in some kind of treat/veggie that she likes. You can talk to her but don't try to touch her.

Then, after a few days, do the same thing but instead of dropping the treat in, put it next to her with your hand. Do that for a couple of days.

Then, do the same thing, but after you put the treat in the cage, then pet her a little bit. At any point in this process, if she gets aggressive then go back to the previous step for a few days.

The next step would be to actually pick her up while you have a treat in your hand.

You can gradually take her to different places in the house and give her a small treat every now and then so she is comfortable with you.

If this isn't working then another option would be to find a vet who is able to do a guinea pig spay. Spaying her will greatly reduce the hormones that are likely causing her to be aggressive.

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (10552 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (18532 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (15338 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (9532 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (28592 views)

Newborn puppy not eating. Well yesterday my presious had puppys she had two, and about two to three hours... (9844 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (17116 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (15709 views)

Cushing's and diabetes. My dog was diagnosed last month with cushings disease and diabetes. He's up to 14... (17200 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (33255 views)