older cat with itchy ears.

Breed: long hair domestic
Dear Dr Marie:

For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches quite hard. We use Advantage Flea medicine on her and have for a number of years but it has not made a difference. There has been no change in her food or litter. I don't see anything in her ears at all? Could it be mites? She is not scratching beyond the normal anywhere else.

Regards,
Laura

Sorry to hear that Emily is having problems.

It is not really common for a cat to have ear mites at this age (unless you had a new kitten in the house who brought mites in). However, mites usually do cause a significant black coffee-ground type of discharge.

It is possible that there is an ear infection present. While most cats will have a waxy discharge with an infection, not all do.

It is also possible that this is a middle ear infection. If this is the case you may not see any changes in her ear canal.

Older cats can sometimes get problems affecting the ear such as a polyp (a little growth) or a more serious tumor.

Some allergies can cause itchy ears but this is not common to have allergies come on at this age.

I really think it would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Emily. They will have a good look inside of her ear and determine if there is any obvious problem. They will likely be able to give medication to help. There really is no over the counter medication that I would recommend.

I hope she improves soon!

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (15903 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5445 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (14833 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (32194 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (42322 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13457 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (12514 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (8751 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (9564 views)

Calcification in the lungs. dog lung calcification Dear Dr.Mari, I hear some bad sounds whenever my dog... (7031 views)