older cat with itchy ears.

Breed: long hair domestic
Dear Dr Marie:

For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches quite hard. We use Advantage Flea medicine on her and have for a number of years but it has not made a difference. There has been no change in her food or litter. I don't see anything in her ears at all? Could it be mites? She is not scratching beyond the normal anywhere else.

Regards,
Laura

Sorry to hear that Emily is having problems.

It is not really common for a cat to have ear mites at this age (unless you had a new kitten in the house who brought mites in). However, mites usually do cause a significant black coffee-ground type of discharge.

It is possible that there is an ear infection present. While most cats will have a waxy discharge with an infection, not all do.

It is also possible that this is a middle ear infection. If this is the case you may not see any changes in her ear canal.

Older cats can sometimes get problems affecting the ear such as a polyp (a little growth) or a more serious tumor.

Some allergies can cause itchy ears but this is not common to have allergies come on at this age.

I really think it would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Emily. They will have a good look inside of her ear and determine if there is any obvious problem. They will likely be able to give medication to help. There really is no over the counter medication that I would recommend.

I hope she improves soon!

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (35986 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (18265 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (12651 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (5885 views)

Hamster scabs and hair loss. I have a dwarf hamster (it's white with red eyes, if that helps on the breed). It... (19819 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9077 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (7427 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (22206 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (7533 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (14209 views)