older cat with itchy ears.

Breed: long hair domestic
Dear Dr Marie:

For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches quite hard. We use Advantage Flea medicine on her and have for a number of years but it has not made a difference. There has been no change in her food or litter. I don't see anything in her ears at all? Could it be mites? She is not scratching beyond the normal anywhere else.

Regards,
Laura

Sorry to hear that Emily is having problems.

It is not really common for a cat to have ear mites at this age (unless you had a new kitten in the house who brought mites in). However, mites usually do cause a significant black coffee-ground type of discharge.

It is possible that there is an ear infection present. While most cats will have a waxy discharge with an infection, not all do.

It is also possible that this is a middle ear infection. If this is the case you may not see any changes in her ear canal.

Older cats can sometimes get problems affecting the ear such as a polyp (a little growth) or a more serious tumor.

Some allergies can cause itchy ears but this is not common to have allergies come on at this age.

I really think it would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Emily. They will have a good look inside of her ear and determine if there is any obvious problem. They will likely be able to give medication to help. There really is no over the counter medication that I would recommend.

I hope she improves soon!

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (81512 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (13631 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (23210 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (11382 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (48594 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (18478 views)

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (7085 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (13597 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (11557 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (44866 views)