older cat with itchy ears.

Breed: long hair domestic
Dear Dr Marie:

For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches quite hard. We use Advantage Flea medicine on her and have for a number of years but it has not made a difference. There has been no change in her food or litter. I don't see anything in her ears at all? Could it be mites? She is not scratching beyond the normal anywhere else.

Regards,
Laura

Sorry to hear that Emily is having problems.

It is not really common for a cat to have ear mites at this age (unless you had a new kitten in the house who brought mites in). However, mites usually do cause a significant black coffee-ground type of discharge.

It is possible that there is an ear infection present. While most cats will have a waxy discharge with an infection, not all do.

It is also possible that this is a middle ear infection. If this is the case you may not see any changes in her ear canal.

Older cats can sometimes get problems affecting the ear such as a polyp (a little growth) or a more serious tumor.

Some allergies can cause itchy ears but this is not common to have allergies come on at this age.

I really think it would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Emily. They will have a good look inside of her ear and determine if there is any obvious problem. They will likely be able to give medication to help. There really is no over the counter medication that I would recommend.

I hope she improves soon!

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (32300 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (28882 views)

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (10462 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (13944 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (13519 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (120526 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (12990 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (10615 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (11587 views)

Vomiting dog. Our vet has told us that Lola won't digest all her food and empty her stomach in the... (8041 views)