older cat with itchy ears.

Breed: long hair domestic
Dear Dr Marie:

For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches quite hard. We use Advantage Flea medicine on her and have for a number of years but it has not made a difference. There has been no change in her food or litter. I don't see anything in her ears at all? Could it be mites? She is not scratching beyond the normal anywhere else.

Regards,
Laura

Sorry to hear that Emily is having problems.

It is not really common for a cat to have ear mites at this age (unless you had a new kitten in the house who brought mites in). However, mites usually do cause a significant black coffee-ground type of discharge.

It is possible that there is an ear infection present. While most cats will have a waxy discharge with an infection, not all do.

It is also possible that this is a middle ear infection. If this is the case you may not see any changes in her ear canal.

Older cats can sometimes get problems affecting the ear such as a polyp (a little growth) or a more serious tumor.

Some allergies can cause itchy ears but this is not common to have allergies come on at this age.

I really think it would be a good idea to have a vet take a look at Emily. They will have a good look inside of her ear and determine if there is any obvious problem. They will likely be able to give medication to help. There really is no over the counter medication that I would recommend.

I hope she improves soon!

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (38980 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (11009 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (16240 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (38828 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (17642 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (44464 views)

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (10176 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (17068 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (12279 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (14052 views)