Fishy smelling urine.

Breed: Greyhound
Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and originally I thought that must be the way she smells. But, lately I thought it could be something else and I should get some expert advice. If she has had a wee over night I can smell a herring fish smell from the top of the stairs before I've even gotten to the kitchen- it always smells like Herring to me. Please advise.

Interesting. This does not sound like something that's normal and I would recommend having her urine checked by your vet. A bad small could possibly mean a bacterial or a yeast infection. While most bladder infections cause the dog to be uncomfortable and urinate more often, not all of them do.

It's also possible that there is an infection somewhere else. A vaginal infection possibly could do this.

Anal gland issues often will cause a fishy smell but anal glands don't get expressed into urine. So, if you're sure that the smell is in her urine then this is not it.

Again though, I'd definitely recommend having your vet check her and her urine out.

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately I've just come out of work and I have very little money. Is there anything that you know of I could give her. I think you are right as she sometimes licks her female private part incessantly. I could barely afford the consultation at the minute, never mind any tests they would need to do. Is there anything over the counter I could try with her.Leza

The problem is that we don't know what the cause is. Regardless though, it's unlikely that there is an at home treatment unfortunately. If you do see that there is redness around her vulva (which could be a sign of an infection in the skin around the vulva) you could try using neosporin/polysporin cream three times daily on this area. However, in most cases if there is an infection the dog is going to need antibiotics in pill form in order to heal completely.

I wish I had more answers for you. You may want to look into the local humane society as sometimes they will have low cost veterinary care available.

Thank you for your help Dr. best wishes, Leza.

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (8942 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (8253 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (9214 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (31334 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (25554 views)

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (9846 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (6719 views)

Wart on dog's foot. Last Friday I was walking my dog and he suddenly pulled up his front right paw and... (28406 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (11447 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (11202 views)