Fishy smelling urine.

Breed: Greyhound
Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and originally I thought that must be the way she smells. But, lately I thought it could be something else and I should get some expert advice. If she has had a wee over night I can smell a herring fish smell from the top of the stairs before I've even gotten to the kitchen- it always smells like Herring to me. Please advise.

Interesting. This does not sound like something that's normal and I would recommend having her urine checked by your vet. A bad small could possibly mean a bacterial or a yeast infection. While most bladder infections cause the dog to be uncomfortable and urinate more often, not all of them do.

It's also possible that there is an infection somewhere else. A vaginal infection possibly could do this.

Anal gland issues often will cause a fishy smell but anal glands don't get expressed into urine. So, if you're sure that the smell is in her urine then this is not it.

Again though, I'd definitely recommend having your vet check her and her urine out.

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately I've just come out of work and I have very little money. Is there anything that you know of I could give her. I think you are right as she sometimes licks her female private part incessantly. I could barely afford the consultation at the minute, never mind any tests they would need to do. Is there anything over the counter I could try with her.Leza

The problem is that we don't know what the cause is. Regardless though, it's unlikely that there is an at home treatment unfortunately. If you do see that there is redness around her vulva (which could be a sign of an infection in the skin around the vulva) you could try using neosporin/polysporin cream three times daily on this area. However, in most cases if there is an infection the dog is going to need antibiotics in pill form in order to heal completely.

I wish I had more answers for you. You may want to look into the local humane society as sometimes they will have low cost veterinary care available.

Thank you for your help Dr. best wishes, Leza.

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (10938 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (5219 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (9253 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (31236 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (6889 views)

Dog leaking urine. Good Evening. Charlot is a rescued dog so I do know his history prior to his new... (12834 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (8589 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (14630 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (13218 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (7898 views)