Non itchy bald spots.

Breed: DOBERMAN PINSCHER
She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet and they did a skin culture for ringworms which came back negative. She does not itch it nor it is not inflamed or red. I am currently feeding her Wellness (lamb with whitefish). What can this be?

It's always tough for me to comment on skin cases, especially if your vet is not sure of the diagnosis, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

Did your vet do a skin scraping to look for demodex? This is a test where we scrape some skin with a scalpel blade and look for demodex mites.

It does not sound like an allergy as usually allergy related skin conditions are quite itchy. Similarly, a skin infection should be irritating as well.

Some endocrine diseases such as hypothyroidism can cause bald patches, but usually these patches will be symmetrical on the body.

Has your girl been through anything stressful lately? I have seen some dogs who have lost patches of fur in response to extreme stress.

If the patches are not going away it would be worthwhile to have your vet biopsy the areas. This should tell us what is going on.

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (8220 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (13724 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (11617 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (12058 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (15437 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (16949 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (5163 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (17105 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (15056 views)

Does my dog have a gait problem? Hi Dr. I'm hoping this is a trivial question. As the email pic shows, the... (14553 views)