Non itchy bald spots.

Breed: DOBERMAN PINSCHER
She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet and they did a skin culture for ringworms which came back negative. She does not itch it nor it is not inflamed or red. I am currently feeding her Wellness (lamb with whitefish). What can this be?

It's always tough for me to comment on skin cases, especially if your vet is not sure of the diagnosis, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

Did your vet do a skin scraping to look for demodex? This is a test where we scrape some skin with a scalpel blade and look for demodex mites.

It does not sound like an allergy as usually allergy related skin conditions are quite itchy. Similarly, a skin infection should be irritating as well.

Some endocrine diseases such as hypothyroidism can cause bald patches, but usually these patches will be symmetrical on the body.

Has your girl been through anything stressful lately? I have seen some dogs who have lost patches of fur in response to extreme stress.

If the patches are not going away it would be worthwhile to have your vet biopsy the areas. This should tell us what is going on.

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (12877 views)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (6158 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (10651 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (6563 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (5936 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (8057 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (11975 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (17006 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (13294 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (18436 views)