Non itchy bald spots.

Breed: DOBERMAN PINSCHER
She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet and they did a skin culture for ringworms which came back negative. She does not itch it nor it is not inflamed or red. I am currently feeding her Wellness (lamb with whitefish). What can this be?

It's always tough for me to comment on skin cases, especially if your vet is not sure of the diagnosis, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

Did your vet do a skin scraping to look for demodex? This is a test where we scrape some skin with a scalpel blade and look for demodex mites.

It does not sound like an allergy as usually allergy related skin conditions are quite itchy. Similarly, a skin infection should be irritating as well.

Some endocrine diseases such as hypothyroidism can cause bald patches, but usually these patches will be symmetrical on the body.

Has your girl been through anything stressful lately? I have seen some dogs who have lost patches of fur in response to extreme stress.

If the patches are not going away it would be worthwhile to have your vet biopsy the areas. This should tell us what is going on.

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8552 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (45981 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (13177 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (10553 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (67174 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (12913 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (9133 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (11173 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (10352 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8548 views)