Non itchy bald spots.

Breed: DOBERMAN PINSCHER
She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet and they did a skin culture for ringworms which came back negative. She does not itch it nor it is not inflamed or red. I am currently feeding her Wellness (lamb with whitefish). What can this be?

It's always tough for me to comment on skin cases, especially if your vet is not sure of the diagnosis, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

Did your vet do a skin scraping to look for demodex? This is a test where we scrape some skin with a scalpel blade and look for demodex mites.

It does not sound like an allergy as usually allergy related skin conditions are quite itchy. Similarly, a skin infection should be irritating as well.

Some endocrine diseases such as hypothyroidism can cause bald patches, but usually these patches will be symmetrical on the body.

Has your girl been through anything stressful lately? I have seen some dogs who have lost patches of fur in response to extreme stress.

If the patches are not going away it would be worthwhile to have your vet biopsy the areas. This should tell us what is going on.

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (7642 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9465 views)

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (29707 views)

Liver shunt or MVD Hello Dr. Maria. I have a 6 month old male Dachshund. He went in to get a neuter... (13616 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (23667 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (12254 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (13325 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (7286 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (24019 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (5676 views)