Non itchy bald spots.

Breed: DOBERMAN PINSCHER
She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet and they did a skin culture for ringworms which came back negative. She does not itch it nor it is not inflamed or red. I am currently feeding her Wellness (lamb with whitefish). What can this be?

It's always tough for me to comment on skin cases, especially if your vet is not sure of the diagnosis, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

Did your vet do a skin scraping to look for demodex? This is a test where we scrape some skin with a scalpel blade and look for demodex mites.

It does not sound like an allergy as usually allergy related skin conditions are quite itchy. Similarly, a skin infection should be irritating as well.

Some endocrine diseases such as hypothyroidism can cause bald patches, but usually these patches will be symmetrical on the body.

Has your girl been through anything stressful lately? I have seen some dogs who have lost patches of fur in response to extreme stress.

If the patches are not going away it would be worthwhile to have your vet biopsy the areas. This should tell us what is going on.

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (25948 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (25266 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (11583 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (12169 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (13735 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (10785 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (19842 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (21663 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (36867 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (32595 views)