Non itchy bald spots.

Breed: DOBERMAN PINSCHER
She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet and they did a skin culture for ringworms which came back negative. She does not itch it nor it is not inflamed or red. I am currently feeding her Wellness (lamb with whitefish). What can this be?

It's always tough for me to comment on skin cases, especially if your vet is not sure of the diagnosis, but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

Did your vet do a skin scraping to look for demodex? This is a test where we scrape some skin with a scalpel blade and look for demodex mites.

It does not sound like an allergy as usually allergy related skin conditions are quite itchy. Similarly, a skin infection should be irritating as well.

Some endocrine diseases such as hypothyroidism can cause bald patches, but usually these patches will be symmetrical on the body.

Has your girl been through anything stressful lately? I have seen some dogs who have lost patches of fur in response to extreme stress.

If the patches are not going away it would be worthwhile to have your vet biopsy the areas. This should tell us what is going on.

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (15069 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (19045 views)

New hamster tips. Ok well im getting a hamster tomorrow and i had one a few years ago. a few years ago... (7506 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (47356 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (33159 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (19603 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (5174 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (8561 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (8670 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (22896 views)