Possible autoimmune disease.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
Hi,

My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my current vet believes are due to a food allergy.We have followed his recommendations to the letter but Sam's issue is not getting better. I can provide pictures of his mouth area if you like.

Primary symptom: Started on the lips and nose where he is losing pigment along his lips, roof and floor of his mouth (tongue excluded) and the lower part of his nose (not above the nostril line) The top of his nose remains normal.

Secondary Symptom: Noticed by the vet when we had him in for neutering but reveals itself in dry/raw pads. He does lick his paws more than our other dog but then again our other dog is not a digger.

Sam is on the larger side for a lab but is not obsese. Color is okay as it appetite and behaviours with no noticeable quirks (except maybe the licking of his paws)

I have already spent $1k in the last month on him and have yet to do a skin sample but before I did I thought I would ask someone else.

Thanks

Rob

Oh, I am sorry that you have gone through these frustrating problems with Sam.

Although I can't say for sure without seeing Sam, what you have described has me really concerned about an autoimmune condition such as pemphigus or lupus.

When I see a dog with skin lesions affecting the mouth, nose and feet, an autoimmune condition becomes more likely.

Most likely your vet has already tried a course of antibiotics which would take care of things if this was a bacterial infection.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure if this is an autoimmune condition is to do skin biopsies of the affected areas so I would advise that you go ahead with this.

Many dogs with autoimmune conditions can be controlled quite well with medications but it can sometimes be a difficult ordeal.

I really hope everything works out ok.

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (9501 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (9332 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (22958 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (12011 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (78637 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (263206 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (35732 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi there, I have two cats, a male (Duke, long haired tabby) and female (Bella,... (7934 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (38734 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (11284 views)