Possible autoimmune disease.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
Hi,

My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my current vet believes are due to a food allergy.We have followed his recommendations to the letter but Sam's issue is not getting better. I can provide pictures of his mouth area if you like.

Primary symptom: Started on the lips and nose where he is losing pigment along his lips, roof and floor of his mouth (tongue excluded) and the lower part of his nose (not above the nostril line) The top of his nose remains normal.

Secondary Symptom: Noticed by the vet when we had him in for neutering but reveals itself in dry/raw pads. He does lick his paws more than our other dog but then again our other dog is not a digger.

Sam is on the larger side for a lab but is not obsese. Color is okay as it appetite and behaviours with no noticeable quirks (except maybe the licking of his paws)

I have already spent $1k in the last month on him and have yet to do a skin sample but before I did I thought I would ask someone else.

Thanks

Rob

Oh, I am sorry that you have gone through these frustrating problems with Sam.

Although I can't say for sure without seeing Sam, what you have described has me really concerned about an autoimmune condition such as pemphigus or lupus.

When I see a dog with skin lesions affecting the mouth, nose and feet, an autoimmune condition becomes more likely.

Most likely your vet has already tried a course of antibiotics which would take care of things if this was a bacterial infection.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure if this is an autoimmune condition is to do skin biopsies of the affected areas so I would advise that you go ahead with this.

Many dogs with autoimmune conditions can be controlled quite well with medications but it can sometimes be a difficult ordeal.

I really hope everything works out ok.

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (11776 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (18098 views)

Dog bite wound. Hello, My dog got bit by a Pit bull on Saturday 9/1. I was not able to take him to... (13818 views)

Is celery safe for rabbits? is it okey to feed my rabbits celery? i did research on what veggies to feed my... (11225 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (53003 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (30161 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (18463 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (25950 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (13520 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (12944 views)