Possible autoimmune disease.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
Hi,

My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my current vet believes are due to a food allergy.We have followed his recommendations to the letter but Sam's issue is not getting better. I can provide pictures of his mouth area if you like.

Primary symptom: Started on the lips and nose where he is losing pigment along his lips, roof and floor of his mouth (tongue excluded) and the lower part of his nose (not above the nostril line) The top of his nose remains normal.

Secondary Symptom: Noticed by the vet when we had him in for neutering but reveals itself in dry/raw pads. He does lick his paws more than our other dog but then again our other dog is not a digger.

Sam is on the larger side for a lab but is not obsese. Color is okay as it appetite and behaviours with no noticeable quirks (except maybe the licking of his paws)

I have already spent $1k in the last month on him and have yet to do a skin sample but before I did I thought I would ask someone else.

Thanks

Rob

Oh, I am sorry that you have gone through these frustrating problems with Sam.

Although I can't say for sure without seeing Sam, what you have described has me really concerned about an autoimmune condition such as pemphigus or lupus.

When I see a dog with skin lesions affecting the mouth, nose and feet, an autoimmune condition becomes more likely.

Most likely your vet has already tried a course of antibiotics which would take care of things if this was a bacterial infection.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure if this is an autoimmune condition is to do skin biopsies of the affected areas so I would advise that you go ahead with this.

Many dogs with autoimmune conditions can be controlled quite well with medications but it can sometimes be a difficult ordeal.

I really hope everything works out ok.

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (9751 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (8780 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (9598 views)

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (46557 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (12679 views)

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (16137 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (11860 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (17652 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (14589 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (13571 views)