Possible autoimmune disease.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
Hi,

My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my current vet believes are due to a food allergy.We have followed his recommendations to the letter but Sam's issue is not getting better. I can provide pictures of his mouth area if you like.

Primary symptom: Started on the lips and nose where he is losing pigment along his lips, roof and floor of his mouth (tongue excluded) and the lower part of his nose (not above the nostril line) The top of his nose remains normal.

Secondary Symptom: Noticed by the vet when we had him in for neutering but reveals itself in dry/raw pads. He does lick his paws more than our other dog but then again our other dog is not a digger.

Sam is on the larger side for a lab but is not obsese. Color is okay as it appetite and behaviours with no noticeable quirks (except maybe the licking of his paws)

I have already spent $1k in the last month on him and have yet to do a skin sample but before I did I thought I would ask someone else.

Thanks

Rob

Oh, I am sorry that you have gone through these frustrating problems with Sam.

Although I can't say for sure without seeing Sam, what you have described has me really concerned about an autoimmune condition such as pemphigus or lupus.

When I see a dog with skin lesions affecting the mouth, nose and feet, an autoimmune condition becomes more likely.

Most likely your vet has already tried a course of antibiotics which would take care of things if this was a bacterial infection.

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure if this is an autoimmune condition is to do skin biopsies of the affected areas so I would advise that you go ahead with this.

Many dogs with autoimmune conditions can be controlled quite well with medications but it can sometimes be a difficult ordeal.

I really hope everything works out ok.

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (9353 views)

Bump on eye. Dear Dr. Marie, I am writing about my 3-year-old Australian Cattle Dog, Bruce.... (12037 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (17177 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (5241 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (12846 views)

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (7680 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (12920 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (10155 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (11189 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (10220 views)