Salivating dog. Seizures?

Breed: Shi-tzu
My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side and is salivating excessively with bubbles and foam along with running around (scared) and then her left leg goes out in front of her and gets stiff - she is so excited that her back end gives out. She had seizures about 7- 8 months ago and this is NOT the same.. due to the snow both my vet and the emergency vet are closed and I'm not sure what to do...It has lasted now for 15 minutes. The only thing that I gave her different this morning (about 4 hours ago) was 1/4 of a bar of the new Greenies Joint Care.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Pa'ani is having these difficulties.

It sounds like this is a seizure. There are many different kinds of seizures and they do not all look alike.

What you are describing with the back legs can sometimes happen with back problems. However a back problem would not cause the salivating and problems with her tongue.

It is very unlikely that this has anything to do with the Greenies treat.

I wish I could advise you on what you could do at home. If the behavior is still going on by the time you receive this reply then it really sounds like she needs to see a vet. The emergency clinic should have some way to get her seen, even in a snow storm!

I will be online for the rest of the evening, so if something new happens then let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Is there something I can do or give her to aleviate the symptoms?

If this is a seizure, then the types of medicines that are used to stop seizures are only available from your vet and not something you would have at home.

While most seizures will stop on their own, I am concerned if this is going on for 15 minutes now.

What is she doing now?

the exact same thing...she is rushing around and her heart is racing...she will not let me hold her to calm her down.

What happens when you phone your emergency clinic? Do they give you any sort of alternative for where you can go? If not, are there other clinics in your area that you can call?

If you absolutely can't get her to a vet, the best thing you can do is keep her confined to a small room where she is not likely to hurt herself. I wouldn't try to hold her down but instead try to act calm around her.

Just to be clear, is she still drooling? She is running around and kicking her legs out?

Still drooling excessively and moving her tongue around....I haven't seen her leg stick out in front of her for about 5 minutes or so and hasn't fallen. I called the emergency vet and they just state they are closed due to weather and give no alternative information

I'm really not sure what to tell you about your dog. This is a tough situation. It sort of sounds like a seizure, but if she is running around then this doesn't sound like a seizure.

Let's see if we can try to examine a few things on her. I'd like you to check each of these things for me:

• Look at her gums. Are they pink or white?

• Have a good look at her bum. I've seen dogs run around like this if they have something stuck to their bum or if they have an abscess on either side. An abscess is usually quite obvious to see.

• Try to have a look inside of her mouth. Is there anything stuck on the roof of her mouth?

nothing on her butt for sure....gums are blackish (old) and she will NOT let me open her mouth to see the roof....she locked up her jaw and when I let go she was gasping for air and now her breathing is labored as well

and now the front leg is back to straightening out

Oh this must be so frightening for you! She really needs to see a vet. Are there any other veterinary clinics in the area that you can call? Where do you live?

Do you think she may be choking? If you think so, you can actually do a heimlich maneuver on dogs, just like you would on a person.

I called another vet close and they said I needed to go to the emergency vet ... they don't open until 6pm....this is crazy. I will try the heimlich maneuver on her just in case but I don't know if that's it...but it can't hurt to try ...done.....nothing

Oh I feel so helpless. What time zone are you in? It is almost 6 pm here. Are there any other clinics you can call in your area?

done .... nobody else open.....and the er clinic is over an hour away and I am from Hawaii and am afraid to drive that far in this weather!

Oh my! I just checked your time zone and that is 5 hours away!

I feel rather helpless and wish I could do more to help poor little Pa'ani.

I guess the only thing I can suggest is to keep him as quiet as possible. If a new symptom comes up then write back and let me know.

If there is any way you can video tape what he is doing and post it up online (i.e. youtube) for me then I can look at that.

No i meant i just move TO missouri from Hawaii so not used to driving in this weather....don't know how to do that

Ah, ok...I was surprised that there was a snowstorm in Hawaii! LOL! But you never know with the weather these days.

So, it looks like the emergency clinic is open in 50 minutes from now. I would recommend that you find a neighbor or someone who can drive you there...or call a taxi. There may be staff there before 6 p.m.

I really do advise you to find a way to get there as this could be a serious problem!

i will try - she seems to be calming down a little drooling down as well...but just as soon as I type this and send it - that will change....I will try to get there though! Mahalo for all your help.....Lisa Watson

You're very welcome Lisa. Please post back when you get back from emergency. I would love to hear how she made out. I'm so glad to hear she is calming down. Praying for peace and health for your little one.

I just can't get to the ER clinic - roads are very icy...my dog has started to salivate a little bit again and is EXTREMELY nervous acting (not typical) I do have a calming aid = Quiet Moments made by NaturVet - I used for the car travel we had to do to get here....Anyway her heart seems to still be reved up and I was wondering if I could give her one of these to calm her. Lisa

Most of these herbal calming meds are not always terribly effective. However, it's not likely to hurt.

If you can't drive to the emergency clinic I'd highly advise asking a neighbor for help or calling a cab.

Just wanted to let you know that Pa'ani passed away this evening...Thanks so much for trying to help. Lisa

Oh I am so sorry to hear this news.

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (10516 views)

Retrobulbar abscess My 3 year old, female border collie was treated late yesterday for a retrobulbar... (10709 views)

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (12444 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (27664 views)

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (13475 views)

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (13064 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (11462 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (14087 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (30031 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9852 views)