Brown near cat's vagina.

Breed: american shorthair
Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it is brown on the wipe. She has always had urinary issues in that she wont use the litter box to urinate. She goes on wee wee pads. I do not see blood in her urine. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for your question. Sometimes it can be normal to see some brown staining around the vaginal area of a cat. However, it's also possible that there is brown staining because she has been overgrooming the area. This could happen if there is some type of infection, either in the skin surrounding the area, in the vagina or possibly even a urinary tract infection or something called interstitial cystitis. Interstitial cystitis is something that we don't fully understand but it can cause a cat to feel like she has to urinate often.

So how do we tell whether there is a problem? The answer lies in watching her behavior. Over the next few days, take note of how often you see her licking this area. A normal cat should not be seen regularly doing this, but if you see her doing this several times a day then I think there is likely some irritation there and she should see the vet.

Also, take note of how often she is urinating. Even though you are not seeing blood, if she is going to the litter box (or wee pads) more often than usual then this can be a sign of a problem as well.

As long as she is eating and drinking well and does not seem overly irritated, then it's probably ok to keep an eye on her for a couple of days. Here are some things that would make me want to see the vet:

-If you notice she is licking the vaginal area excessively.
-If you notice she is trying to urinate more frequently than usual.
-If you see her trying to urinate but nothing is coming out.
-If you see a yellow or green pus in the vaginal area.
-If she starts to lose her appetite or act overly lethargic.

Hope that helps and I hope she is ok.

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (22744 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (14283 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (28050 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (28673 views)

Weight loss in cat. My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot... (10346 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (7410 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (10835 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (10589 views)

What are these little brown bugs. hi um my puppy named chesley is 6-8 months andi just got her recently i cant remeber... (26206 views)

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (10504 views)