Brown near cat's vagina.

Breed: american shorthair
Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it is brown on the wipe. She has always had urinary issues in that she wont use the litter box to urinate. She goes on wee wee pads. I do not see blood in her urine. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for your question. Sometimes it can be normal to see some brown staining around the vaginal area of a cat. However, it's also possible that there is brown staining because she has been overgrooming the area. This could happen if there is some type of infection, either in the skin surrounding the area, in the vagina or possibly even a urinary tract infection or something called interstitial cystitis. Interstitial cystitis is something that we don't fully understand but it can cause a cat to feel like she has to urinate often.

So how do we tell whether there is a problem? The answer lies in watching her behavior. Over the next few days, take note of how often you see her licking this area. A normal cat should not be seen regularly doing this, but if you see her doing this several times a day then I think there is likely some irritation there and she should see the vet.

Also, take note of how often she is urinating. Even though you are not seeing blood, if she is going to the litter box (or wee pads) more often than usual then this can be a sign of a problem as well.

As long as she is eating and drinking well and does not seem overly irritated, then it's probably ok to keep an eye on her for a couple of days. Here are some things that would make me want to see the vet:

-If you notice she is licking the vaginal area excessively.
-If you notice she is trying to urinate more frequently than usual.
-If you see her trying to urinate but nothing is coming out.
-If you see a yellow or green pus in the vaginal area.
-If she starts to lose her appetite or act overly lethargic.

Hope that helps and I hope she is ok.

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (29223 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (12975 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (10226 views)

Strong urine odor. Over the past few months my dogs urine has started smelling really strongly, to the... (61186 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (15912 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (12870 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (6946 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (16229 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (7251 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (20100 views)