Brown near cat's vagina.

Breed: american shorthair
Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it is brown on the wipe. She has always had urinary issues in that she wont use the litter box to urinate. She goes on wee wee pads. I do not see blood in her urine. Should I be concerned?

Thanks for your question. Sometimes it can be normal to see some brown staining around the vaginal area of a cat. However, it's also possible that there is brown staining because she has been overgrooming the area. This could happen if there is some type of infection, either in the skin surrounding the area, in the vagina or possibly even a urinary tract infection or something called interstitial cystitis. Interstitial cystitis is something that we don't fully understand but it can cause a cat to feel like she has to urinate often.

So how do we tell whether there is a problem? The answer lies in watching her behavior. Over the next few days, take note of how often you see her licking this area. A normal cat should not be seen regularly doing this, but if you see her doing this several times a day then I think there is likely some irritation there and she should see the vet.

Also, take note of how often she is urinating. Even though you are not seeing blood, if she is going to the litter box (or wee pads) more often than usual then this can be a sign of a problem as well.

As long as she is eating and drinking well and does not seem overly irritated, then it's probably ok to keep an eye on her for a couple of days. Here are some things that would make me want to see the vet:

-If you notice she is licking the vaginal area excessively.
-If you notice she is trying to urinate more frequently than usual.
-If you see her trying to urinate but nothing is coming out.
-If you see a yellow or green pus in the vaginal area.
-If she starts to lose her appetite or act overly lethargic.

Hope that helps and I hope she is ok.

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10221 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (22871 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (19151 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (15994 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (20031 views)

Not chewing his food. I noticed he isn't chewing his dog food lately. He has always chewed before. I think... (5132 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10071 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (7857 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (33922 views)

Dog ate food with onions. my dog ate cut up sausage but it had onion,will he get sick... (9629 views)