Swollen eye and face.

Breed: siberian husky

My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition until September 2011), has a big swelling over right eye and the right side of his nose and forehead.

The swelling started on September 2011 and has developed very fast. The vet said that it looks as something is growing insight, (behind the eye pushing it forward, perhaps cancer, and not much can be done in this case. However, he prescribed antibiotic, zenoquin 200mg , the swelling decreased approx. a half, however, it still exists. The dog does not have a pain in general, unless from time to time a liquid, (white/ green color) is coming out from his eye, and then he has a pain, and the antibiotic helps.

I would appreciate your advice what antibiotics or other medication I can give to my dog to help him. (medication he accept only once a day), so if antibiotic or other medication , I would appreciate the dose once a day.
He is 65-70/lb, lost about 5 lb, and has a normal appetite, (perhaps, he eats a little less than usually)

Thank you very much,

Natalia

I'm very sorry to hear that your dog is struggling with this. I have had a couple of cases like this and it is often hard to know exactly what is going on.

Unfortunately, the most likely possibility would be if there was a tumor, possibly behind the eye. Sometimes tumors can become infected. This could explain why there was some improvement with antibiotics.

Another possibility is if he has an abscess behind his eye. If this were the case then antibiotics would definitely help. But, often an abscess doesn't completely heal unless the abscess is drained. The way that we would test for an abscess behind the eye is to administer an anesthetic and then place a needle just behind the back molars and see if any pus comes out. If so, then a scalpel blade is put in this area to drain it. This type of abscess is called a retrobulbar abscess. However, most dogs that I have seen with a retrobulbar abscess are very painful when they try to open their mouths.

Another possibility is an infection in a tooth root. A carnassial tooth abscess can definitely cause swelling all around the face. Again, it would improve somewhat with antibiotics but won't go away until the tooth is removed. Usually we can tell if there is a carnassial tooth abscess by looking at the tooth, but not always.

Where we go from here is a tough decision. Ideally, the best option would be to have a CT scan done of Cauby's head. This really should tell us if there is a tumor or where there is infection. However, a CT scan can be pricey (like around $1000).

The next option would be to have your vet administer an anesthetic and look for an infection behind the eye and also remove the carnassial tooth on that side.

And if those options are too expensive then your vet may be willing to continue to prescribe the antibiotic that was working.

I really hope things improve. Let me know if you have more questions.

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (10902 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (8945 views)

Lumps on belly Hello, Dr. Marie: I noticed some small bumps on my dog's bladder on/near the site... (18823 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (24439 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (18024 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (12844 views)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (11165 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (29444 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (5677 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (24904 views)