Swollen eye and face.

Breed: siberian husky

My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition until September 2011), has a big swelling over right eye and the right side of his nose and forehead.

The swelling started on September 2011 and has developed very fast. The vet said that it looks as something is growing insight, (behind the eye pushing it forward, perhaps cancer, and not much can be done in this case. However, he prescribed antibiotic, zenoquin 200mg , the swelling decreased approx. a half, however, it still exists. The dog does not have a pain in general, unless from time to time a liquid, (white/ green color) is coming out from his eye, and then he has a pain, and the antibiotic helps.

I would appreciate your advice what antibiotics or other medication I can give to my dog to help him. (medication he accept only once a day), so if antibiotic or other medication , I would appreciate the dose once a day.
He is 65-70/lb, lost about 5 lb, and has a normal appetite, (perhaps, he eats a little less than usually)

Thank you very much,

Natalia

I'm very sorry to hear that your dog is struggling with this. I have had a couple of cases like this and it is often hard to know exactly what is going on.

Unfortunately, the most likely possibility would be if there was a tumor, possibly behind the eye. Sometimes tumors can become infected. This could explain why there was some improvement with antibiotics.

Another possibility is if he has an abscess behind his eye. If this were the case then antibiotics would definitely help. But, often an abscess doesn't completely heal unless the abscess is drained. The way that we would test for an abscess behind the eye is to administer an anesthetic and then place a needle just behind the back molars and see if any pus comes out. If so, then a scalpel blade is put in this area to drain it. This type of abscess is called a retrobulbar abscess. However, most dogs that I have seen with a retrobulbar abscess are very painful when they try to open their mouths.

Another possibility is an infection in a tooth root. A carnassial tooth abscess can definitely cause swelling all around the face. Again, it would improve somewhat with antibiotics but won't go away until the tooth is removed. Usually we can tell if there is a carnassial tooth abscess by looking at the tooth, but not always.

Where we go from here is a tough decision. Ideally, the best option would be to have a CT scan done of Cauby's head. This really should tell us if there is a tumor or where there is infection. However, a CT scan can be pricey (like around $1000).

The next option would be to have your vet administer an anesthetic and look for an infection behind the eye and also remove the carnassial tooth on that side.

And if those options are too expensive then your vet may be willing to continue to prescribe the antibiotic that was working.

I really hope things improve. Let me know if you have more questions.

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (14879 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (4472 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (8416 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (20938 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20331 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7515 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8051 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (17704 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (18905 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (7653 views)