Puppy chewing legs and licking penis

Breed: Border Collie
Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs, constantly.
I took him to class Thrusday and the trainer mentioned allergies or it could be behavior issues. He has an apt May 9 but should I take him sooner.

Sorry to hear that your little guy is chewing on himself so much. He sounds really uncomfortable.

Normally I would say that allergies are the main thing that would cause a dog to do this. Allergies often cause dogs to chew at themselves, especially on their legs. (But not so commonly on their penis.)

However, allergies are not super common in a puppy. You mentioned that your dog is 3-6 months old. It really is not that common for a puppy that young to have allergies. It's not impossible, but I am betting there is another cause.

The most common reason for a puppy to be itchy like this would be fleas. It's not always easy to see the fleas. You can read more information here on checking for fleas as well as treatment.

Another possibility is sarcoptic mange. This can cause very itchy legs and usually causes itchy ears and elbows as well. But again, it doesn't account for the penis being itchy. This is something you would need to see your vet to get a diagnosis for.

I have seen some puppies that have compulsive behaviors that cause non-stop chewing and licking of the penis.

But, with all of this said, I think that the most likely cause is fleas and the second most likely is allergies.

I would actually recommend that you see your vet sooner than May 9 if possible. If it's fleas you want to get on top of things before they get worse. The flea products in the store don't tend to work well, so you'll want to get a prescription product. If it is allergies then your vet can prescribe medication to help.

Hope things work out ok!

He take flea stuff provided by the vet. It's not fleas.
Can he have a nervose habit of chewing.

This is certainly possible. However, I can't recall ever treating a dog this young for obsessive grooming due to a behaviour problem.

Your vet may decide to try a hypoallergenic food trial. Again, allergies are not common at this age, but if they are present, food allergies tend to be more common than environmental allergies.

Radiation danger to pets? I am currently undergoing radioactive iodine therapy and my doctor says that I need... (36607 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (12122 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (7506 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (21030 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (12593 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (30563 views)

Wound on cat's leg. Sydney is an indoor/outdoor cat. Last week he got a cut on his front leg. I was... (21095 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (9609 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (10896 views)

yellow colored diarrhea We have had this puppy for about 2 weeks. The puppies were about 5 weeks when the... (12220 views)