Trouble breathing

Breed: Golden Retriever
My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5" grade murmur at the age 2 and is still alive and has had no symptoms until maybe now. (she has been very athletic and still runs around sometimes) . 4 days ago all of a sudden she started panting (it was hot here so i did not think much of it)she also has short breaths most of the day and seems uncomfortable and not at all normal. No cough, gagging or anything else. Pooping, eating drinking all well and normal.

Questions: Do you think this is the beginging of heart failure?
Is there medication that will slow it down?
Do you think she is in pain?
What will my local vet do for her?
How long can I expect her to live if it is the start of her heart failing?

Marc

Hi Marc and thanks for your question.

The answer here has a lot of "what ifs" as there are several possibilities for what could be happening to Callie.

There are many things that can cause a heart murmur in a Golden and while many heart murmurs are completely innocent it is certainly possible that this problem is related to Callie's heart. She may possibly have a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy where the heart muscle is not as strong as it should be. Sometimes these dogs can live for quite some time with no problems and then suddenly have heart issues. If this were the case, then the panting could be either because the heart muscle is struggling or possibly because of fluid in the chest (which is produced by a sick heart.)

While most dogs with significant heart disease do cough, not all of them do.

It's also possible that this is totally unrelated to her heart. She could have an issue with pain somewhere that is causing her to pant.

At 12, another possibility is hypothyroidism which is really common in Goldens. Goldens with hypothyroidism will definitely pant more. However, the symptoms usually come on very gradually.

The other thing we worry about, especially in Golden Retrievers is cancer. If there is cancer in her chest then this will definitely affect her breathing.

And there are many other possibilities such as an infection in the chest, laryngeal paralysis and even something totally unrelated to her chest such as liver disease or a bleeding spleen tumor.

Your vet will have a good listen to her heart and determine whether the murmur is worse. (However, the scale only goes up to 6, so it can't be much worse.) They will also listen for signs of fluid on her lungs. They will likely want to take an xray. The xray really should tell us if this is heart disease or if it is cancer. If the xray is inconclusive, however, they may want to do some bloodwork.

The rest of your questions are hard to answer without knowing what the diagnosis is. If this is heart disease then we do have medications that can help. Some dogs can live for another year or more with heart medications, but others do not do well and continue to decline. If there is cancer that is throughout the chest then her prognosis would be very poor.

It's very hard to say whether she is in pain, but if she is having trouble breathing then she is definitely uncomfortable. I would recommend you have her seen as soon as possible.

I really hope everything is ok!

Thank you so much- you are a gem!

You're very welcome! And thanks so much for the bonus. :)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (12716 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11425 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (31651 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (20483 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (9046 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (13703 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (32049 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7544 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (12017 views)

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (7066 views)