Small open wound on dog

Breed: min pin
Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She has a hole in her hip. It is about eh size dime. The hole is about 1/4 deep. It started out as a little tear in the skin. After about a half day went by we realized it had progressed. It has stop bleeding. It is starting to dry up, but still and open wound. We started putting aloe vera juice and furazone on the wound. She dosen't seem to be in any pain. She walks normal. Put a bell colar on her to keep from licking it. Your advice please. This is our third day.

Don Simpkins

Thanks for an interesting question. It's hard to say exactly what is going on here with Grizzly without being able to examine her. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It's possible that she has an infected wound. Is there any discharge from the wound at all? If so, it may help to wash it with a lukewarm stream of water for 5 minutes in a row a few times a day. But, if there is an infection it may not heal without antibiotic pills from the vet.

It's also possible that it's not closing because something (i.e. a splinter, etc.) is in the wound. If this is the case, sometimes these get better with antibiotics given orally but it may need surgery.

Sometimes I will see a hole like this if an animal has had a type of grub called a cuterebra in the skin. But this doesn't usually happen in the winter...and it should be healing.

I think you are doing the right things. As long as it is not bothering her I think you could continue with this treatment for a couple of days. If it is not improving after that though she will need to see a vet.

Keep in mind as well that my advice online does not take the place of a veterinary visit.

I hope all is well!

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (6560 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (11100 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (14540 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (9190 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (16335 views)

Urinating outside of box. Hi Marie, We spoke briefly this morning about my cat. As I said this morning,... (7230 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (10095 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (11882 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (6957 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (5604 views)