Small open wound on dog

Breed: min pin
Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She has a hole in her hip. It is about eh size dime. The hole is about 1/4 deep. It started out as a little tear in the skin. After about a half day went by we realized it had progressed. It has stop bleeding. It is starting to dry up, but still and open wound. We started putting aloe vera juice and furazone on the wound. She dosen't seem to be in any pain. She walks normal. Put a bell colar on her to keep from licking it. Your advice please. This is our third day.

Don Simpkins

Thanks for an interesting question. It's hard to say exactly what is going on here with Grizzly without being able to examine her. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It's possible that she has an infected wound. Is there any discharge from the wound at all? If so, it may help to wash it with a lukewarm stream of water for 5 minutes in a row a few times a day. But, if there is an infection it may not heal without antibiotic pills from the vet.

It's also possible that it's not closing because something (i.e. a splinter, etc.) is in the wound. If this is the case, sometimes these get better with antibiotics given orally but it may need surgery.

Sometimes I will see a hole like this if an animal has had a type of grub called a cuterebra in the skin. But this doesn't usually happen in the winter...and it should be healing.

I think you are doing the right things. As long as it is not bothering her I think you could continue with this treatment for a couple of days. If it is not improving after that though she will need to see a vet.

Keep in mind as well that my advice online does not take the place of a veterinary visit.

I hope all is well!

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (6437 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (3194 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (6922 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (12139 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (4314 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (16047 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (6885 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (5106 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (4920 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (10605 views)