Small open wound on dog

Breed: min pin
Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She has a hole in her hip. It is about eh size dime. The hole is about 1/4 deep. It started out as a little tear in the skin. After about a half day went by we realized it had progressed. It has stop bleeding. It is starting to dry up, but still and open wound. We started putting aloe vera juice and furazone on the wound. She dosen't seem to be in any pain. She walks normal. Put a bell colar on her to keep from licking it. Your advice please. This is our third day.

Don Simpkins

Thanks for an interesting question. It's hard to say exactly what is going on here with Grizzly without being able to examine her. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It's possible that she has an infected wound. Is there any discharge from the wound at all? If so, it may help to wash it with a lukewarm stream of water for 5 minutes in a row a few times a day. But, if there is an infection it may not heal without antibiotic pills from the vet.

It's also possible that it's not closing because something (i.e. a splinter, etc.) is in the wound. If this is the case, sometimes these get better with antibiotics given orally but it may need surgery.

Sometimes I will see a hole like this if an animal has had a type of grub called a cuterebra in the skin. But this doesn't usually happen in the winter...and it should be healing.

I think you are doing the right things. As long as it is not bothering her I think you could continue with this treatment for a couple of days. If it is not improving after that though she will need to see a vet.

Keep in mind as well that my advice online does not take the place of a veterinary visit.

I hope all is well!

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (40670 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (13550 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (4710 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (7091 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (5982 views)

When to neuter my dog. Hi, I have an 8 month old 63 lb male intact golden retriver. When should I neuter... (7447 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (101664 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (87127 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (16164 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (7552 views)