Small open wound on dog

Breed: min pin
Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She has a hole in her hip. It is about eh size dime. The hole is about 1/4 deep. It started out as a little tear in the skin. After about a half day went by we realized it had progressed. It has stop bleeding. It is starting to dry up, but still and open wound. We started putting aloe vera juice and furazone on the wound. She dosen't seem to be in any pain. She walks normal. Put a bell colar on her to keep from licking it. Your advice please. This is our third day.

Don Simpkins

Thanks for an interesting question. It's hard to say exactly what is going on here with Grizzly without being able to examine her. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It's possible that she has an infected wound. Is there any discharge from the wound at all? If so, it may help to wash it with a lukewarm stream of water for 5 minutes in a row a few times a day. But, if there is an infection it may not heal without antibiotic pills from the vet.

It's also possible that it's not closing because something (i.e. a splinter, etc.) is in the wound. If this is the case, sometimes these get better with antibiotics given orally but it may need surgery.

Sometimes I will see a hole like this if an animal has had a type of grub called a cuterebra in the skin. But this doesn't usually happen in the winter...and it should be healing.

I think you are doing the right things. As long as it is not bothering her I think you could continue with this treatment for a couple of days. If it is not improving after that though she will need to see a vet.

Keep in mind as well that my advice online does not take the place of a veterinary visit.

I hope all is well!

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (10697 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (6616 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (15148 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (15948 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (12784 views)

Tail tip injury. our dog is golden retriever 5 years old, he had happy tail and somehow cut the tip... (5327 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (11790 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (103255 views)

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (50466 views)

Strong smelling urine. i have a male cat an recently his urine has become very strong, he hasnt been done... (9046 views)