Small open wound on dog

Breed: min pin
Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She has a hole in her hip. It is about eh size dime. The hole is about 1/4 deep. It started out as a little tear in the skin. After about a half day went by we realized it had progressed. It has stop bleeding. It is starting to dry up, but still and open wound. We started putting aloe vera juice and furazone on the wound. She dosen't seem to be in any pain. She walks normal. Put a bell colar on her to keep from licking it. Your advice please. This is our third day.

Don Simpkins

Thanks for an interesting question. It's hard to say exactly what is going on here with Grizzly without being able to examine her. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It's possible that she has an infected wound. Is there any discharge from the wound at all? If so, it may help to wash it with a lukewarm stream of water for 5 minutes in a row a few times a day. But, if there is an infection it may not heal without antibiotic pills from the vet.

It's also possible that it's not closing because something (i.e. a splinter, etc.) is in the wound. If this is the case, sometimes these get better with antibiotics given orally but it may need surgery.

Sometimes I will see a hole like this if an animal has had a type of grub called a cuterebra in the skin. But this doesn't usually happen in the winter...and it should be healing.

I think you are doing the right things. As long as it is not bothering her I think you could continue with this treatment for a couple of days. If it is not improving after that though she will need to see a vet.

Keep in mind as well that my advice online does not take the place of a veterinary visit.

I hope all is well!

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (6808 views)

Still have puppies inside? my dog had puppies 2 days ago 6 puppies were the only ones that came out, four came... (13509 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (10183 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (4606 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (8739 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (16426 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (10820 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (3382 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (8451 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (10661 views)