Small open wound on dog

Breed: min pin
Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She has a hole in her hip. It is about eh size dime. The hole is about 1/4 deep. It started out as a little tear in the skin. After about a half day went by we realized it had progressed. It has stop bleeding. It is starting to dry up, but still and open wound. We started putting aloe vera juice and furazone on the wound. She dosen't seem to be in any pain. She walks normal. Put a bell colar on her to keep from licking it. Your advice please. This is our third day.

Don Simpkins

Thanks for an interesting question. It's hard to say exactly what is going on here with Grizzly without being able to examine her. But, I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It's possible that she has an infected wound. Is there any discharge from the wound at all? If so, it may help to wash it with a lukewarm stream of water for 5 minutes in a row a few times a day. But, if there is an infection it may not heal without antibiotic pills from the vet.

It's also possible that it's not closing because something (i.e. a splinter, etc.) is in the wound. If this is the case, sometimes these get better with antibiotics given orally but it may need surgery.

Sometimes I will see a hole like this if an animal has had a type of grub called a cuterebra in the skin. But this doesn't usually happen in the winter...and it should be healing.

I think you are doing the right things. As long as it is not bothering her I think you could continue with this treatment for a couple of days. If it is not improving after that though she will need to see a vet.

Keep in mind as well that my advice online does not take the place of a veterinary visit.

I hope all is well!

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (10559 views)

Mildly increased ALP. My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is... (8244 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (9727 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (14655 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (21107 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (76947 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (8054 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (10445 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (8093 views)

Dog keeps licking butt. My dog keeps licking her butt. I took her 2 days ago to have her anal glands... (20294 views)