Dog with FCE

Breed: bulldog terrier mix
Dr. M,
We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with a non-venomous snake in our yard. Seven days ago he started to wobble on his back legs. He now is able to use a weak back right paw and leg. The left back paw is knuckled under and is pretty much useless. We have had our vet check him and referred to a specialist for x-rays and a mylogram. He was diagnosed with FCE. We have spent over $2000 in a week. The back right leg seems to be a little stronger, but the left back leg is still useless. Should we now buy the "boots" for his unusable paw, and at what point do we purchase a wheelchair? He has a good appetite and is going to the bathroom normally. We love this dog so much, please help us! He has an interesting history that we would be glad to share with you-just ask. Also, where can we purchase your book?

Debral and Bob

Hi Debral and Bob, thanks for sharing with me about Stuart. I'm so sorry to hear that he has FCE. FCE is so frustrating because we are helpless to do anything for the poor little guy.

Whether or not you get booties, or a chair for him depends really on how he is doing. If you find that he is knuckling and dragging his foot to the point of causing damage to the tops of his toes, then a bootie is a great idea. This would be to protect his foot from getting scraped and injured.

If he is able to walk and get around well then you likely won't need a wheelchair. One thing about FCE is that the symptoms don't tend to get worse over time. So, it sounds to me like he won't need a wheelchair.

I used to tell folks that a dog could never recover from FCE, but I have heard MANY stories of dogs making a full or partial recovery, so it is still possible that things will improve for him. The important thing to know is that dogs with FCE usually aren't painful.

Thanks for asking about my book! I am still collecting stories, so I would love to have your little man's story. You can email it to me at info@askavetquestion.com. If you have pictures of Stuart that would be wonderful as well.

Thank you for taking such good care of Stuart. I'm looking forward to reading his story!

Dr. Marie,
Thank you so much for your reply and information. We are glad to hear that he won't be worse and there is a possibility he will improve. We'll be ordering the booties for his foot now. We will email you our favorite photo of Stuart and his story.

Thank you again for being there and helping us!

Bob and Debral

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (12519 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (20576 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (14304 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (37937 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (12569 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (22431 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (7912 views)

Cats pooping on the carpet. I have 2 beautiful, loving cats (male/female) 6 years old. They are siblings from... (16623 views)

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (12016 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (6966 views)