Dog with FCE

Breed: bulldog terrier mix
Dr. M,
We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with a non-venomous snake in our yard. Seven days ago he started to wobble on his back legs. He now is able to use a weak back right paw and leg. The left back paw is knuckled under and is pretty much useless. We have had our vet check him and referred to a specialist for x-rays and a mylogram. He was diagnosed with FCE. We have spent over $2000 in a week. The back right leg seems to be a little stronger, but the left back leg is still useless. Should we now buy the "boots" for his unusable paw, and at what point do we purchase a wheelchair? He has a good appetite and is going to the bathroom normally. We love this dog so much, please help us! He has an interesting history that we would be glad to share with you-just ask. Also, where can we purchase your book?

Debral and Bob

Hi Debral and Bob, thanks for sharing with me about Stuart. I'm so sorry to hear that he has FCE. FCE is so frustrating because we are helpless to do anything for the poor little guy.

Whether or not you get booties, or a chair for him depends really on how he is doing. If you find that he is knuckling and dragging his foot to the point of causing damage to the tops of his toes, then a bootie is a great idea. This would be to protect his foot from getting scraped and injured.

If he is able to walk and get around well then you likely won't need a wheelchair. One thing about FCE is that the symptoms don't tend to get worse over time. So, it sounds to me like he won't need a wheelchair.

I used to tell folks that a dog could never recover from FCE, but I have heard MANY stories of dogs making a full or partial recovery, so it is still possible that things will improve for him. The important thing to know is that dogs with FCE usually aren't painful.

Thanks for asking about my book! I am still collecting stories, so I would love to have your little man's story. You can email it to me at info@askavetquestion.com. If you have pictures of Stuart that would be wonderful as well.

Thank you for taking such good care of Stuart. I'm looking forward to reading his story!

Dr. Marie,
Thank you so much for your reply and information. We are glad to hear that he won't be worse and there is a possibility he will improve. We'll be ordering the booties for his foot now. We will email you our favorite photo of Stuart and his story.

Thank you again for being there and helping us!

Bob and Debral

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (10856 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (7357 views)

UTI in a kitten. Hi there, I have spoken to you in the past, and am looking for a little advice... (12761 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (8688 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (15587 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (6018 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (6389 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (6759 views)

Sudden death. My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of... (23054 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7656 views)