Dog with FCE

Breed: bulldog terrier mix
Dr. M,
We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with a non-venomous snake in our yard. Seven days ago he started to wobble on his back legs. He now is able to use a weak back right paw and leg. The left back paw is knuckled under and is pretty much useless. We have had our vet check him and referred to a specialist for x-rays and a mylogram. He was diagnosed with FCE. We have spent over $2000 in a week. The back right leg seems to be a little stronger, but the left back leg is still useless. Should we now buy the "boots" for his unusable paw, and at what point do we purchase a wheelchair? He has a good appetite and is going to the bathroom normally. We love this dog so much, please help us! He has an interesting history that we would be glad to share with you-just ask. Also, where can we purchase your book?

Debral and Bob

Hi Debral and Bob, thanks for sharing with me about Stuart. I'm so sorry to hear that he has FCE. FCE is so frustrating because we are helpless to do anything for the poor little guy.

Whether or not you get booties, or a chair for him depends really on how he is doing. If you find that he is knuckling and dragging his foot to the point of causing damage to the tops of his toes, then a bootie is a great idea. This would be to protect his foot from getting scraped and injured.

If he is able to walk and get around well then you likely won't need a wheelchair. One thing about FCE is that the symptoms don't tend to get worse over time. So, it sounds to me like he won't need a wheelchair.

I used to tell folks that a dog could never recover from FCE, but I have heard MANY stories of dogs making a full or partial recovery, so it is still possible that things will improve for him. The important thing to know is that dogs with FCE usually aren't painful.

Thanks for asking about my book! I am still collecting stories, so I would love to have your little man's story. You can email it to me at info@askavetquestion.com. If you have pictures of Stuart that would be wonderful as well.

Thank you for taking such good care of Stuart. I'm looking forward to reading his story!

Dr. Marie,
Thank you so much for your reply and information. We are glad to hear that he won't be worse and there is a possibility he will improve. We'll be ordering the booties for his foot now. We will email you our favorite photo of Stuart and his story.

Thank you again for being there and helping us!

Bob and Debral

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (16478 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (11348 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (11249 views)

Homeopathic seizure control. I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and... (9357 views)

My dog is bleeding. I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to... (14566 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (9910 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (10164 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (26666 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (16425 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (6581 views)