Dog with FCE

Breed: bulldog terrier mix
Dr. M,
We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with a non-venomous snake in our yard. Seven days ago he started to wobble on his back legs. He now is able to use a weak back right paw and leg. The left back paw is knuckled under and is pretty much useless. We have had our vet check him and referred to a specialist for x-rays and a mylogram. He was diagnosed with FCE. We have spent over $2000 in a week. The back right leg seems to be a little stronger, but the left back leg is still useless. Should we now buy the "boots" for his unusable paw, and at what point do we purchase a wheelchair? He has a good appetite and is going to the bathroom normally. We love this dog so much, please help us! He has an interesting history that we would be glad to share with you-just ask. Also, where can we purchase your book?

Debral and Bob

Hi Debral and Bob, thanks for sharing with me about Stuart. I'm so sorry to hear that he has FCE. FCE is so frustrating because we are helpless to do anything for the poor little guy.

Whether or not you get booties, or a chair for him depends really on how he is doing. If you find that he is knuckling and dragging his foot to the point of causing damage to the tops of his toes, then a bootie is a great idea. This would be to protect his foot from getting scraped and injured.

If he is able to walk and get around well then you likely won't need a wheelchair. One thing about FCE is that the symptoms don't tend to get worse over time. So, it sounds to me like he won't need a wheelchair.

I used to tell folks that a dog could never recover from FCE, but I have heard MANY stories of dogs making a full or partial recovery, so it is still possible that things will improve for him. The important thing to know is that dogs with FCE usually aren't painful.

Thanks for asking about my book! I am still collecting stories, so I would love to have your little man's story. You can email it to me at info@askavetquestion.com. If you have pictures of Stuart that would be wonderful as well.

Thank you for taking such good care of Stuart. I'm looking forward to reading his story!

Dr. Marie,
Thank you so much for your reply and information. We are glad to hear that he won't be worse and there is a possibility he will improve. We'll be ordering the booties for his foot now. We will email you our favorite photo of Stuart and his story.

Thank you again for being there and helping us!

Bob and Debral

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (18498 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (8547 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5454 views)

Accidently cut dog's skin i was giving my dog a hair cut with a small pair of sissors and was trimming around... (19510 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (14198 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5140 views)

Head Tilt. My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or... (12845 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (22142 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (11828 views)

Dog ate Zoloft. please answer this question, please.. my dog chloe has eaten my anti depressants i... (51525 views)