Tough upper respiratory infection.

Breed: Bengal
We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout the 7 hour car trip. His left eye was weeping as well. He also had diarrhea, which the breeder stated had just started that morning.

We stopped at the emergency vet once we arrived home (it was the weekend and our regular vet was closed). They prescribed Amoxicillin which we used for about a week before visiting our regular vet.

Since Indigo was not improving, he recommended Clavamox and we used that for a week. Additionally, we started using Neo-Poly-Dex drops in his nose.

After we saw that wasn't clearing up his problem, the vet prescribed Cefa-Drops, which we used for a week (while still giving the nose drops).

Finally, this Wednesday we saw the vet again. Indigo is still sneezing, but at least the vet stated the infection has not moved into his chest. We are now giving him Clindamycin Hydrochloride (1/2 ml twice a day for a week). Additionally, they did a fecal exam and found Giardia, for which he prescribed Panacur.

After 2 days of taking this new medicine, he sounds worse to us. He's sneezing more and producing more mucous (thin and yellow) from his nose. His breathing sounds more raspy too.

My wife and I are both concerned about the respiratory infection. We've never had a pet with one that was so hard to beat, and we're worried that it might be something more serious. The cat eats and drinks well, and he has a lot of energy. so he seems otherwise healthy.

Our vet told us that this antibiotic is the last step to try. Is there something else he could
be checking?

Oh, poor Indigo! He's been through a lot.

I have seen a few cats with respiratory tract infections that were very difficult to clear up. It is quite uncommon for a cat to die after this type of problem, but I have seen some who have struggled for a long time.

I have a few thoughts for you. Has Indigo been tested for Feline Leukemia and FIV? An animal that has one of these viruses will have a defective immune system and have a very difficult time clearing an infection.

You may also want to ask your vet about an antibiotic called azithromycin. I will sometimes use the pediatric form called Zithromax. It usually works *very* well for upper respiratory tract infections.

Another thought is to ask your vet about culturing some material from the respiratory tract. To do this, Indigo would likely need to be off of antibiotics for a few days. But, what the culture would tell us is if there is a type of infection that is resistant to certain antibiotics or needs a combination of antibiotics to clear up.

Another thing would be to ask your vet if they are able to give nebulized antibiotics or refer you to somewhere that does. This would mean hospitalizing Indigo for a few days in a chamber where antibiotics are pumped in through the air. These nebulized antibiotics sometimes get to the source of infection better than oral antibiotics.

And finally, you can talk to your vet about putting him on an amino acid solution called lysine. Cats on lysine are able to fight viral infection easier.

Hope he does well soon!

Thank you very much for your feedback. I felt like I was cheating on my vet, but he didn't seem to mind. :) I thought I would let you know that we finally isolated the problem and the reason the other antibiotics were not working. They did a culture on his mucus and found mycoplasma felis, so we are starting Indigo on Doxycycline and we hope he'll finally be healthy. Also, he tested negative of several different viruses including herpes, so yeah!

Thanks again,

Dean and Melinda Helsley

Yeah! Thanks for the update. I'm glad Indigo is doing well!

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (9462 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (16318 views)

Pug died after pooping blood. my female pug passed away between 4:00A.M. & 8:00 A.m. yesterday. She had never... (58154 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (8444 views)

Wheezing, sneezing kitten. my kitten is 3 and a half months old recently she has been sleeping a whole lot and... (13895 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (40745 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (10292 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (6106 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (6221 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (31854 views)