Need exam with steroid shot?

Breed:
Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat needs a steroid shot?

The law can vary from place to place, but in general, if medication needs to be given to an animal then the veterinarian has to have a good client patient relationship with that animal, be up to date on his or her medical history, and feel confident that the medication is necessary.

So, no prescription medication (including a steroid shot) can be given to an animal unless a physical exam has been done.

Some medications, such as a refill can be given as long as an exam has been done in the last year.

However, a steroid shot can have serious side effects. I certainly wouldn't want to give one to an animal who has an infection or say a kidney problem or signs of diabetes. I can understand why your vet said they would not give a shot without an exam.

I do have some patients that need a steroid injection every 2 months or so. In cases like this I will often allow every second shot to be done with a technician. However, if my technician notices a dramatic weight loss, a new medical condition or that the animal just isn't doing well, then they will not give the shot and advise that a vet exam needs to be done.

I know in cases like this it can look like the vet is just trying to make money, but really it is your cat's best interests that are at heart. The vet needs to make sure that animal is healthy before administering medication.

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9705 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (11163 views)

Peach stone or pancreatitis? My dog ate a peach stone. It appeared to give no problems, but two to three weeks... (6622 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (19434 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (26242 views)

Black spot on side of hamster. My hamster is about 2 years old and has always had a black spot on the right side of... (38638 views)

Golden retriever won't eat. Dr, Changing Max's food doesn't seem to help. He went to the new food since... (27661 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (36341 views)

Does my dog have mange? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a little 8 month old chihuahua. His name is chico and he has... (8331 views)

Ketoconazole, Heartgard, Comfortis. Good morning. Well this is kind of a follow-up question on Poppi. I wrote to you on... (5952 views)