Need exam with steroid shot?

Breed:
Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat needs a steroid shot?

The law can vary from place to place, but in general, if medication needs to be given to an animal then the veterinarian has to have a good client patient relationship with that animal, be up to date on his or her medical history, and feel confident that the medication is necessary.

So, no prescription medication (including a steroid shot) can be given to an animal unless a physical exam has been done.

Some medications, such as a refill can be given as long as an exam has been done in the last year.

However, a steroid shot can have serious side effects. I certainly wouldn't want to give one to an animal who has an infection or say a kidney problem or signs of diabetes. I can understand why your vet said they would not give a shot without an exam.

I do have some patients that need a steroid injection every 2 months or so. In cases like this I will often allow every second shot to be done with a technician. However, if my technician notices a dramatic weight loss, a new medical condition or that the animal just isn't doing well, then they will not give the shot and advise that a vet exam needs to be done.

I know in cases like this it can look like the vet is just trying to make money, but really it is your cat's best interests that are at heart. The vet needs to make sure that animal is healthy before administering medication.

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (4750 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (10157 views)

Oozing boil on dog's paw. My dog has a sort of woozing boil on her paw and all around it there is hair loss... (11693 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (51405 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (18213 views)

Rimadyl and kidney problems. On November 24 2010, Trixie got into the neighbors trash. She was vomiting and had... (20253 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (15196 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (5152 views)

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (7008 views)

14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea,... (17295 views)