Need exam with steroid shot?

Breed:
Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat needs a steroid shot?

The law can vary from place to place, but in general, if medication needs to be given to an animal then the veterinarian has to have a good client patient relationship with that animal, be up to date on his or her medical history, and feel confident that the medication is necessary.

So, no prescription medication (including a steroid shot) can be given to an animal unless a physical exam has been done.

Some medications, such as a refill can be given as long as an exam has been done in the last year.

However, a steroid shot can have serious side effects. I certainly wouldn't want to give one to an animal who has an infection or say a kidney problem or signs of diabetes. I can understand why your vet said they would not give a shot without an exam.

I do have some patients that need a steroid injection every 2 months or so. In cases like this I will often allow every second shot to be done with a technician. However, if my technician notices a dramatic weight loss, a new medical condition or that the animal just isn't doing well, then they will not give the shot and advise that a vet exam needs to be done.

I know in cases like this it can look like the vet is just trying to make money, but really it is your cat's best interests that are at heart. The vet needs to make sure that animal is healthy before administering medication.

Summer shaving? Is it ok to shave my dogs coat in the summer? will that help to make him... (9094 views)

Is clostridium contagious? Can my dog have gotten a c diff infection from being around another dog that had... (15078 views)

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (10800 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (31620 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (6646 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (7992 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (10249 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6505 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (17728 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (12947 views)