Need exam with steroid shot?

Breed:
Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat needs a steroid shot?

The law can vary from place to place, but in general, if medication needs to be given to an animal then the veterinarian has to have a good client patient relationship with that animal, be up to date on his or her medical history, and feel confident that the medication is necessary.

So, no prescription medication (including a steroid shot) can be given to an animal unless a physical exam has been done.

Some medications, such as a refill can be given as long as an exam has been done in the last year.

However, a steroid shot can have serious side effects. I certainly wouldn't want to give one to an animal who has an infection or say a kidney problem or signs of diabetes. I can understand why your vet said they would not give a shot without an exam.

I do have some patients that need a steroid injection every 2 months or so. In cases like this I will often allow every second shot to be done with a technician. However, if my technician notices a dramatic weight loss, a new medical condition or that the animal just isn't doing well, then they will not give the shot and advise that a vet exam needs to be done.

I know in cases like this it can look like the vet is just trying to make money, but really it is your cat's best interests that are at heart. The vet needs to make sure that animal is healthy before administering medication.

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (74865 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (75220 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (8266 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (12853 views)

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (18290 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (10685 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (18656 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (13154 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (88070 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (38140 views)