Need exam with steroid shot?

Breed:
Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat needs a steroid shot?

The law can vary from place to place, but in general, if medication needs to be given to an animal then the veterinarian has to have a good client patient relationship with that animal, be up to date on his or her medical history, and feel confident that the medication is necessary.

So, no prescription medication (including a steroid shot) can be given to an animal unless a physical exam has been done.

Some medications, such as a refill can be given as long as an exam has been done in the last year.

However, a steroid shot can have serious side effects. I certainly wouldn't want to give one to an animal who has an infection or say a kidney problem or signs of diabetes. I can understand why your vet said they would not give a shot without an exam.

I do have some patients that need a steroid injection every 2 months or so. In cases like this I will often allow every second shot to be done with a technician. However, if my technician notices a dramatic weight loss, a new medical condition or that the animal just isn't doing well, then they will not give the shot and advise that a vet exam needs to be done.

I know in cases like this it can look like the vet is just trying to make money, but really it is your cat's best interests that are at heart. The vet needs to make sure that animal is healthy before administering medication.

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (7846 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (5796 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (44974 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (8049 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (6963 views)

Chaning cat's thyroid medication. Hi, my cat is 13 and 1/2 years old. He was diagnosted hyperthyorid 2 1/2 months ago.... (6582 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (170722 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6322 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (10556 views)

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (18340 views)