Need exam with steroid shot?

Breed:
Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat needs a steroid shot?

The law can vary from place to place, but in general, if medication needs to be given to an animal then the veterinarian has to have a good client patient relationship with that animal, be up to date on his or her medical history, and feel confident that the medication is necessary.

So, no prescription medication (including a steroid shot) can be given to an animal unless a physical exam has been done.

Some medications, such as a refill can be given as long as an exam has been done in the last year.

However, a steroid shot can have serious side effects. I certainly wouldn't want to give one to an animal who has an infection or say a kidney problem or signs of diabetes. I can understand why your vet said they would not give a shot without an exam.

I do have some patients that need a steroid injection every 2 months or so. In cases like this I will often allow every second shot to be done with a technician. However, if my technician notices a dramatic weight loss, a new medical condition or that the animal just isn't doing well, then they will not give the shot and advise that a vet exam needs to be done.

I know in cases like this it can look like the vet is just trying to make money, but really it is your cat's best interests that are at heart. The vet needs to make sure that animal is healthy before administering medication.

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (18074 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (9882 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (12480 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (26365 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (14931 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (12621 views)

Vaginal discharge Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a... (13336 views)

Dog going blind. Our dog Vinnie started suddenly to become lethargic and then over a period of 4... (9235 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (13434 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (19985 views)