Dog's face is swollen.

Breed: lab-husky-coon hound
my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard when i gently squeeze her muzzle. She isn't having any trouble breathing beyond panting, but she is almost 13 years old and pants a lot, so this is not abnormal. Her eyes were half swollen closed at the worse, and there were large bumps on her head above her eyes. Earlier today, the swelling wasn't as severe, and we gave her 4 low dosage aspirin. The swelling went down considerably, sierra vomited and the swelling started to come back. We gave her 2 benadryl 25 mg and now her entire face looks twice it's size but the swelling in now concentrated on her muzzle and less near her eyes. Her throat does not seem swollen from the outside. What could this be?

Sorry to hear that Sierra is having these problems!

Swelling like this is often caused by some sort of allergic reaction - usually to something like a bee or wasp sting. In mild cases the benadryl really should work. However, she might need a higher dose. Benadryl is usually given at 1mg per pound so if she is 50lbs your dose of 50mg is good but otherwise she may need more.

However, some allergic reactions are severe enough that they need injectable antihistamine and often steroids as well. These would obviously be treatments you would need to get from your vet.

Another cause for a swollen face is a tooth root abscess. However, it would be very unusual for a dog to suddenly have an abscess on both sides of her mouth.

I have seen dogs with cancer that can have a swollen face as well. This is not common though.

If things have not improved by the time that you get this message then Sierra should definitely see a vet. They will be able to administer stronger anti-allergy drugs and possibly do some tests to determine if there is anything else going on. There really isn't much more you can do at home for her.

I hope she is better soon!

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (10300 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (131725 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (4434 views)

Limping on rear leg. Hello Dr. Marie! Buddy came to us about six months ago a stray. Though it was... (20544 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (30724 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (6644 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (6253 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (14062 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (10981 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (18249 views)