Dog's face is swollen.

Breed: lab-husky-coon hound
my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard when i gently squeeze her muzzle. She isn't having any trouble breathing beyond panting, but she is almost 13 years old and pants a lot, so this is not abnormal. Her eyes were half swollen closed at the worse, and there were large bumps on her head above her eyes. Earlier today, the swelling wasn't as severe, and we gave her 4 low dosage aspirin. The swelling went down considerably, sierra vomited and the swelling started to come back. We gave her 2 benadryl 25 mg and now her entire face looks twice it's size but the swelling in now concentrated on her muzzle and less near her eyes. Her throat does not seem swollen from the outside. What could this be?

Sorry to hear that Sierra is having these problems!

Swelling like this is often caused by some sort of allergic reaction - usually to something like a bee or wasp sting. In mild cases the benadryl really should work. However, she might need a higher dose. Benadryl is usually given at 1mg per pound so if she is 50lbs your dose of 50mg is good but otherwise she may need more.

However, some allergic reactions are severe enough that they need injectable antihistamine and often steroids as well. These would obviously be treatments you would need to get from your vet.

Another cause for a swollen face is a tooth root abscess. However, it would be very unusual for a dog to suddenly have an abscess on both sides of her mouth.

I have seen dogs with cancer that can have a swollen face as well. This is not common though.

If things have not improved by the time that you get this message then Sierra should definitely see a vet. They will be able to administer stronger anti-allergy drugs and possibly do some tests to determine if there is anything else going on. There really isn't much more you can do at home for her.

I hope she is better soon!

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (77442 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (13544 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (5381 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (14502 views)

Bloated stomach in Papillion. my dog had a bloated stomach and had trouble going to the bathroom and the next day... (24378 views)

Ear margin dermatosis. Hello, I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty... (60016 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (10511 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (9853 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (9344 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (26113 views)