Dog's face is swollen.

Breed: lab-husky-coon hound
my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard when i gently squeeze her muzzle. She isn't having any trouble breathing beyond panting, but she is almost 13 years old and pants a lot, so this is not abnormal. Her eyes were half swollen closed at the worse, and there were large bumps on her head above her eyes. Earlier today, the swelling wasn't as severe, and we gave her 4 low dosage aspirin. The swelling went down considerably, sierra vomited and the swelling started to come back. We gave her 2 benadryl 25 mg and now her entire face looks twice it's size but the swelling in now concentrated on her muzzle and less near her eyes. Her throat does not seem swollen from the outside. What could this be?

Sorry to hear that Sierra is having these problems!

Swelling like this is often caused by some sort of allergic reaction - usually to something like a bee or wasp sting. In mild cases the benadryl really should work. However, she might need a higher dose. Benadryl is usually given at 1mg per pound so if she is 50lbs your dose of 50mg is good but otherwise she may need more.

However, some allergic reactions are severe enough that they need injectable antihistamine and often steroids as well. These would obviously be treatments you would need to get from your vet.

Another cause for a swollen face is a tooth root abscess. However, it would be very unusual for a dog to suddenly have an abscess on both sides of her mouth.

I have seen dogs with cancer that can have a swollen face as well. This is not common though.

If things have not improved by the time that you get this message then Sierra should definitely see a vet. They will be able to administer stronger anti-allergy drugs and possibly do some tests to determine if there is anything else going on. There really isn't much more you can do at home for her.

I hope she is better soon!

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (16873 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (15576 views)

Dog pees on the furniture. Rusty is a reserve rescue dog we have had since this summer. He is an absolute joy... (9631 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (9790 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (21239 views)

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (9635 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (28882 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (21967 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (10556 views)

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (10788 views)