Dog's face is swollen.

Breed: lab-husky-coon hound
my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard when i gently squeeze her muzzle. She isn't having any trouble breathing beyond panting, but she is almost 13 years old and pants a lot, so this is not abnormal. Her eyes were half swollen closed at the worse, and there were large bumps on her head above her eyes. Earlier today, the swelling wasn't as severe, and we gave her 4 low dosage aspirin. The swelling went down considerably, sierra vomited and the swelling started to come back. We gave her 2 benadryl 25 mg and now her entire face looks twice it's size but the swelling in now concentrated on her muzzle and less near her eyes. Her throat does not seem swollen from the outside. What could this be?

Sorry to hear that Sierra is having these problems!

Swelling like this is often caused by some sort of allergic reaction - usually to something like a bee or wasp sting. In mild cases the benadryl really should work. However, she might need a higher dose. Benadryl is usually given at 1mg per pound so if she is 50lbs your dose of 50mg is good but otherwise she may need more.

However, some allergic reactions are severe enough that they need injectable antihistamine and often steroids as well. These would obviously be treatments you would need to get from your vet.

Another cause for a swollen face is a tooth root abscess. However, it would be very unusual for a dog to suddenly have an abscess on both sides of her mouth.

I have seen dogs with cancer that can have a swollen face as well. This is not common though.

If things have not improved by the time that you get this message then Sierra should definitely see a vet. They will be able to administer stronger anti-allergy drugs and possibly do some tests to determine if there is anything else going on. There really isn't much more you can do at home for her.

I hope she is better soon!

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (18783 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (18631 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (81862 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (6337 views)

Chinese Crested with diarrhea This is breed that loses their teeth (starting at an early age) as they age.... (11296 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (17598 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (12289 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (19995 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (20737 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (8065 views)