Arsenic in Rawhides?

Breed: GSD
I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy them and have always had great oral health. Recently I heard that there may be a danger from arsenic in rawbides. I want to know how real is this danger? I have found them to be a real asset and don' t want to give them up over an exagerated risk...something we see so much in this age of blogging!

Many years ago there was a batch of rawhides shipped from Thailand that were contaminated with arsenic. As far as I know this was one batch and it is not something that we need to worry about now.

However, I am not a fan of rawhides. I have seen dogs choke on them when they get soggy. Some of these dogs have died.

Additionally, rawhides can potentially be contaminated with salmonella bacteria (but this is not very common).

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (9160 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (8436 views)

Cat scratch fever. We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an... (7441 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (17657 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (7585 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (7735 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (261495 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (20267 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (14012 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (9944 views)