Arsenic in Rawhides?

Breed: GSD
I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy them and have always had great oral health. Recently I heard that there may be a danger from arsenic in rawbides. I want to know how real is this danger? I have found them to be a real asset and don' t want to give them up over an exagerated risk...something we see so much in this age of blogging!

Many years ago there was a batch of rawhides shipped from Thailand that were contaminated with arsenic. As far as I know this was one batch and it is not something that we need to worry about now.

However, I am not a fan of rawhides. I have seen dogs choke on them when they get soggy. Some of these dogs have died.

Additionally, rawhides can potentially be contaminated with salmonella bacteria (but this is not very common).

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (11528 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (6401 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16346 views)

Still have puppies inside? my dog had puppies 2 days ago 6 puppies were the only ones that came out, four came... (16026 views)

Cat behavior problem. We got a 13 year old girl recently (just months ago, not even a year). And we have a... (10015 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (7233 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6782 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10875 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5394 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (9892 views)