Arsenic in Rawhides?

Breed: GSD
I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy them and have always had great oral health. Recently I heard that there may be a danger from arsenic in rawbides. I want to know how real is this danger? I have found them to be a real asset and don' t want to give them up over an exagerated risk...something we see so much in this age of blogging!

Many years ago there was a batch of rawhides shipped from Thailand that were contaminated with arsenic. As far as I know this was one batch and it is not something that we need to worry about now.

However, I am not a fan of rawhides. I have seen dogs choke on them when they get soggy. Some of these dogs have died.

Additionally, rawhides can potentially be contaminated with salmonella bacteria (but this is not very common).

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (7339 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (9753 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (6929 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (19430 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (15907 views)

Not eating or drinking and is painful. My cat tink 3 yrs seems very poorly he hasn't eaten or drank for 2 days now is very... (5551 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (5775 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (8937 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (17206 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (11682 views)