Arsenic in Rawhides?

Breed: GSD
I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy them and have always had great oral health. Recently I heard that there may be a danger from arsenic in rawbides. I want to know how real is this danger? I have found them to be a real asset and don' t want to give them up over an exagerated risk...something we see so much in this age of blogging!

Many years ago there was a batch of rawhides shipped from Thailand that were contaminated with arsenic. As far as I know this was one batch and it is not something that we need to worry about now.

However, I am not a fan of rawhides. I have seen dogs choke on them when they get soggy. Some of these dogs have died.

Additionally, rawhides can potentially be contaminated with salmonella bacteria (but this is not very common).

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (18215 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (13706 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (20893 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (16272 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (29876 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (8611 views)

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (7289 views)

Inbreeding dogs. is it true that if a female dog and her son have a relationship will the puppies... (47590 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (21167 views)

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (33836 views)