Arsenic in Rawhides?

Breed: GSD
I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy them and have always had great oral health. Recently I heard that there may be a danger from arsenic in rawbides. I want to know how real is this danger? I have found them to be a real asset and don' t want to give them up over an exagerated risk...something we see so much in this age of blogging!

Many years ago there was a batch of rawhides shipped from Thailand that were contaminated with arsenic. As far as I know this was one batch and it is not something that we need to worry about now.

However, I am not a fan of rawhides. I have seen dogs choke on them when they get soggy. Some of these dogs have died.

Additionally, rawhides can potentially be contaminated with salmonella bacteria (but this is not very common).

vet question Dear Madame Veterinarian: Our Siberian has one of the best pedigrees we could've... (10187 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (44230 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (114394 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (18055 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (6899 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (5273 views)

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (5090 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (9730 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (32487 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (4953 views)