Arsenic in Rawhides?

Breed: GSD
I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy them and have always had great oral health. Recently I heard that there may be a danger from arsenic in rawbides. I want to know how real is this danger? I have found them to be a real asset and don' t want to give them up over an exagerated risk...something we see so much in this age of blogging!

Many years ago there was a batch of rawhides shipped from Thailand that were contaminated with arsenic. As far as I know this was one batch and it is not something that we need to worry about now.

However, I am not a fan of rawhides. I have seen dogs choke on them when they get soggy. Some of these dogs have died.

Additionally, rawhides can potentially be contaminated with salmonella bacteria (but this is not very common).

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (12043 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (3783 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (7244 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (6196 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (22100 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (6543 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (7872 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (9672 views)

Cat itchy on neck. Recently my cat has been scratching in the area just below her neck at the top of... (8187 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (4069 views)