Arsenic in Rawhides?

Breed: GSD
I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy them and have always had great oral health. Recently I heard that there may be a danger from arsenic in rawbides. I want to know how real is this danger? I have found them to be a real asset and don' t want to give them up over an exagerated risk...something we see so much in this age of blogging!

Many years ago there was a batch of rawhides shipped from Thailand that were contaminated with arsenic. As far as I know this was one batch and it is not something that we need to worry about now.

However, I am not a fan of rawhides. I have seen dogs choke on them when they get soggy. Some of these dogs have died.

Additionally, rawhides can potentially be contaminated with salmonella bacteria (but this is not very common).

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (6791 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (35664 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (12786 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (10063 views)

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (8194 views)

Puppy chewing legs and licking penis Harley chews on himself constantly. He likes his penis, he chews on his legs,... (5868 views)

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (18871 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (35764 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (8872 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (3088 views)