Arsenic in Rawhides?

Breed: GSD
I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy them and have always had great oral health. Recently I heard that there may be a danger from arsenic in rawbides. I want to know how real is this danger? I have found them to be a real asset and don' t want to give them up over an exagerated risk...something we see so much in this age of blogging!

Many years ago there was a batch of rawhides shipped from Thailand that were contaminated with arsenic. As far as I know this was one batch and it is not something that we need to worry about now.

However, I am not a fan of rawhides. I have seen dogs choke on them when they get soggy. Some of these dogs have died.

Additionally, rawhides can potentially be contaminated with salmonella bacteria (but this is not very common).

Does my cat have cancer? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 3rd time writing to... (18190 views)

Home cooked diet for dog. I cook Tater ground sirloin, white rice and then mix in some canned no salt green... (6419 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (27211 views)

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (8156 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (16883 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (33293 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (18810 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (10787 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (9812 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (12707 views)