Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks?

Breed: labrador
We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we vaccinate them for parvo a couple of days before they turn 6 weeks old?

It is not recommended to do a parvo vaccine before 6 weeks of age. It is very unlikely to be of any use.

The reason for this is that the pups will have something called maternal immunity which is some immunity that they have received from their mother. If we vaccinate during this period, the vaccine is not effective.

There is likely no harm in doing the parvo vaccine early but there is really no benefit.

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (27883 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (10396 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (8639 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (9352 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8481 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (9004 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (9550 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (9580 views)

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (6568 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (12533 views)