Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks?

Breed: labrador
We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we vaccinate them for parvo a couple of days before they turn 6 weeks old?

It is not recommended to do a parvo vaccine before 6 weeks of age. It is very unlikely to be of any use.

The reason for this is that the pups will have something called maternal immunity which is some immunity that they have received from their mother. If we vaccinate during this period, the vaccine is not effective.

There is likely no harm in doing the parvo vaccine early but there is really no benefit.

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (135232 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (18211 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (24815 views)

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7035 views)

Should cat have her teeth cleaned? My 13 year old cat recently went for a wellness vet visit at a new vet. The vet... (11276 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (24591 views)

Possible elbow hygroma. I just noticed a mass on my 4 month old puppy's front right leg. She is mini... (26430 views)

Infected cut on leg. My dog has a swollen ankle and it seems to be caused by an insect bite or a small... (5988 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (32880 views)

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (671591 views)