Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks?

Breed: labrador
We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we vaccinate them for parvo a couple of days before they turn 6 weeks old?

It is not recommended to do a parvo vaccine before 6 weeks of age. It is very unlikely to be of any use.

The reason for this is that the pups will have something called maternal immunity which is some immunity that they have received from their mother. If we vaccinate during this period, the vaccine is not effective.

There is likely no harm in doing the parvo vaccine early but there is really no benefit.

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (9267 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (99387 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (8484 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (5752 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (7106 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (6711 views)

Thirsty hamster my wee hamster is drinking a very lot of water l could fill her bottle up and she... (16996 views)

Feeding sardines. I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his... (14111 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (38118 views)

Puppy died. My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very... (9205 views)