Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks?

Breed: labrador
We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we vaccinate them for parvo a couple of days before they turn 6 weeks old?

It is not recommended to do a parvo vaccine before 6 weeks of age. It is very unlikely to be of any use.

The reason for this is that the pups will have something called maternal immunity which is some immunity that they have received from their mother. If we vaccinate during this period, the vaccine is not effective.

There is likely no harm in doing the parvo vaccine early but there is really no benefit.

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (21767 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (13760 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (23911 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (16143 views)

Flea Allergy Hello Shelby has two to three spots that she has been licking and chewing on by... (13499 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (46000 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (8735 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (24086 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (17328 views)

Will dog with broken back recover? Hi Dr. Marie, Our dog pulled out of her collar and was hit by a vehicle Saturday... (42814 views)