Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks?

Breed: labrador
We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we vaccinate them for parvo a couple of days before they turn 6 weeks old?

It is not recommended to do a parvo vaccine before 6 weeks of age. It is very unlikely to be of any use.

The reason for this is that the pups will have something called maternal immunity which is some immunity that they have received from their mother. If we vaccinate during this period, the vaccine is not effective.

There is likely no harm in doing the parvo vaccine early but there is really no benefit.

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (7083 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (15109 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (17637 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (13038 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (9475 views)

Coughing and panting. My dog is 12 1/2 and he has a hacking cough and pants all the time except when he's... (36742 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (20869 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (14901 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (13775 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (16314 views)