Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks?

Breed: labrador
We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we vaccinate them for parvo a couple of days before they turn 6 weeks old?

It is not recommended to do a parvo vaccine before 6 weeks of age. It is very unlikely to be of any use.

The reason for this is that the pups will have something called maternal immunity which is some immunity that they have received from their mother. If we vaccinate during this period, the vaccine is not effective.

There is likely no harm in doing the parvo vaccine early but there is really no benefit.

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (7674 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (14312 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (12145 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi there, Ive recently found out I am pregnant (6 weeks) and wanted some advice... (13412 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (18126 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (6310 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (6021 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (54341 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (18730 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (5673 views)