Meibomian gland adenoma questions.

Breed: Yellow Lab
Hello Dr. Marie,

What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland adenoma?

Cutting or freezing? Will it regenerate?

How much does this procedure cost?

Is it life threaten if not removed and does not bother her?

Thanks for your time.

Steven

Hi Steven. A meibomian gland adenoma is a little lump on the eyelid of a dog. While you would think that it could be removed easily with freezing or a quick snip, it actually needs more invasive surgery.

These lumps always have a stalk underneath and if we don't remove the stalk then it will just grow back again. So, to do the surgery we need to do a full anesthetic and remove the lump as well as the stalk and then stitch the hole back up again.

The cost can really vary depending on where you go and how large the lump is. On average, I would say you'd be looking at $600-$800 to have this done.

I don't always remove meibomian gland adenomas. I only remove them if they are rubbing on the eye, ulcerating or getting too big.

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8179 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (45321 views)

Diarrhea and then death. My question is about the death of our Daisy Mae. We are staying in South Padre... (37015 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (10265 views)

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (9787 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (16022 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (7711 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (10035 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (61215 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7058 views)