Meibomian gland adenoma questions.

Breed: Yellow Lab
Hello Dr. Marie,

What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland adenoma?

Cutting or freezing? Will it regenerate?

How much does this procedure cost?

Is it life threaten if not removed and does not bother her?

Thanks for your time.

Steven

Hi Steven. A meibomian gland adenoma is a little lump on the eyelid of a dog. While you would think that it could be removed easily with freezing or a quick snip, it actually needs more invasive surgery.

These lumps always have a stalk underneath and if we don't remove the stalk then it will just grow back again. So, to do the surgery we need to do a full anesthetic and remove the lump as well as the stalk and then stitch the hole back up again.

The cost can really vary depending on where you go and how large the lump is. On average, I would say you'd be looking at $600-$800 to have this done.

I don't always remove meibomian gland adenomas. I only remove them if they are rubbing on the eye, ulcerating or getting too big.

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (9925 views)

Dog's urine smells unusual. A few days ago I noticed that my dog's urine smells a bit strong. I can't really... (92635 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (19998 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (3199 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (3730 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (3232 views)

Puppy vomited and became unresponsive. My puppy violet was out on her walk this afternoon and she started dry reaching and... (4447 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (15635 views)

Diarrhea after having puppies. is it nomal for a dog to have the runs after giving birth to 11 puppies a week... (18203 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (9947 views)