Meibomian gland adenoma questions.

Breed: Yellow Lab
Hello Dr. Marie,

What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland adenoma?

Cutting or freezing? Will it regenerate?

How much does this procedure cost?

Is it life threaten if not removed and does not bother her?

Thanks for your time.

Steven

Hi Steven. A meibomian gland adenoma is a little lump on the eyelid of a dog. While you would think that it could be removed easily with freezing or a quick snip, it actually needs more invasive surgery.

These lumps always have a stalk underneath and if we don't remove the stalk then it will just grow back again. So, to do the surgery we need to do a full anesthetic and remove the lump as well as the stalk and then stitch the hole back up again.

The cost can really vary depending on where you go and how large the lump is. On average, I would say you'd be looking at $600-$800 to have this done.

I don't always remove meibomian gland adenomas. I only remove them if they are rubbing on the eye, ulcerating or getting too big.

Puppy has red weepy eyes. my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot,... (8216 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (8290 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (53436 views)

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (10055 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (13515 views)

Shelter cats with infection. Hello My friend told me I should talk to you about what is going on at the animal... (2687 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (18366 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (29785 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (48678 views)

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (5768 views)