Meibomian gland adenoma questions.

Breed: Yellow Lab
Hello Dr. Marie,

What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland adenoma?

Cutting or freezing? Will it regenerate?

How much does this procedure cost?

Is it life threaten if not removed and does not bother her?

Thanks for your time.

Steven

Hi Steven. A meibomian gland adenoma is a little lump on the eyelid of a dog. While you would think that it could be removed easily with freezing or a quick snip, it actually needs more invasive surgery.

These lumps always have a stalk underneath and if we don't remove the stalk then it will just grow back again. So, to do the surgery we need to do a full anesthetic and remove the lump as well as the stalk and then stitch the hole back up again.

The cost can really vary depending on where you go and how large the lump is. On average, I would say you'd be looking at $600-$800 to have this done.

I don't always remove meibomian gland adenomas. I only remove them if they are rubbing on the eye, ulcerating or getting too big.

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (11691 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (8330 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (11480 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (14046 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (5534 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (9496 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (7198 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (9631 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (5300 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (15651 views)