Meibomian gland adenoma questions.

Breed: Yellow Lab
Hello Dr. Marie,

What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland adenoma?

Cutting or freezing? Will it regenerate?

How much does this procedure cost?

Is it life threaten if not removed and does not bother her?

Thanks for your time.

Steven

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Hi Steven. A meibomian gland adenoma is a little lump on the eyelid of a dog. While you would think that it could be removed easily with freezing or a quick snip, it actually needs more invasive surgery.

These lumps always have a stalk underneath and if we don't remove the stalk then it will just grow back again. So, to do the surgery we need to do a full anesthetic and remove the lump as well as the stalk and then stitch the hole back up again.

The cost can really vary depending on where you go and how large the lump is. On average, I would say you'd be looking at $600-$800 to have this done.

I don't always remove meibomian gland adenomas. I only remove them if they are rubbing on the eye, ulcerating or getting too big.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (4005 views)

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (37079 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (6442 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (5125 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (28863 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (5651 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (5881 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (5952 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (8048 views)

Not eating, drinking or peeing. I aquired this 10yr old fixed,declawed male cat a couple of months ago. for about 4... (8020 views)