Meibomian gland adenoma questions.

Breed: Yellow Lab
Hello Dr. Marie,

What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland adenoma?

Cutting or freezing? Will it regenerate?

How much does this procedure cost?

Is it life threaten if not removed and does not bother her?

Thanks for your time.

Steven

Hi Steven. A meibomian gland adenoma is a little lump on the eyelid of a dog. While you would think that it could be removed easily with freezing or a quick snip, it actually needs more invasive surgery.

These lumps always have a stalk underneath and if we don't remove the stalk then it will just grow back again. So, to do the surgery we need to do a full anesthetic and remove the lump as well as the stalk and then stitch the hole back up again.

The cost can really vary depending on where you go and how large the lump is. On average, I would say you'd be looking at $600-$800 to have this done.

I don't always remove meibomian gland adenomas. I only remove them if they are rubbing on the eye, ulcerating or getting too big.

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (9382 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (11719 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (29396 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (25414 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (16532 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (6035 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (4016 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (23406 views)

Did neutering affect dog's bladder? My dog is 10 months old and was neutered 3 weeks ago. He was on antibiotics prior to... (16509 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (4734 views)