Meibomian gland adenoma questions.

Breed: Yellow Lab
Hello Dr. Marie,

What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland adenoma?

Cutting or freezing? Will it regenerate?

How much does this procedure cost?

Is it life threaten if not removed and does not bother her?

Thanks for your time.

Steven

Hi Steven. A meibomian gland adenoma is a little lump on the eyelid of a dog. While you would think that it could be removed easily with freezing or a quick snip, it actually needs more invasive surgery.

These lumps always have a stalk underneath and if we don't remove the stalk then it will just grow back again. So, to do the surgery we need to do a full anesthetic and remove the lump as well as the stalk and then stitch the hole back up again.

The cost can really vary depending on where you go and how large the lump is. On average, I would say you'd be looking at $600-$800 to have this done.

I don't always remove meibomian gland adenomas. I only remove them if they are rubbing on the eye, ulcerating or getting too big.

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (10093 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (3671 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (5058 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (10312 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (48374 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (16032 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (3165 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (86557 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (5536 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (8146 views)