Peeing on blankets.

Breed: French Bulldog
We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now will pee on the blankets and pillows on the couch occasionally(with a week or two between). Most of the time it is when we have gone out or when we are asleep. She is on a regular routine where we take her out once in the morning once in the evening and once at night.

She was only spayed a year ago at the age of 4 so she still tends to mark a lot. I don't know whether to stop her from marking outside or if I should just let her get it out of her system. I just wanted to know whether she is trying to get attention or if she is marking.

Thanks
Jodi

There's a good chance that Ginger's got something called USMI. It's quite common, so I wrote an article to explain what it is and how it is treated:

USMI in dogs.

Your vet will want to do a urinalysis to rule out other problems, but I'm guessing this will end up being USMI.

Yellow liquid at tip of penis. Every once in a while (maybe twice a week) he will have a yellowish white dot of... (18330 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (7781 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (18966 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (7483 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (6588 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7629 views)

Peeing on clothes. My old cat seems to be healthy, he eats well, is blind in one eye but that doesn't... (5639 views)

Did cherry eye surgery fail? My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this... (21248 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (29007 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14494 views)