Is my dog overheating?

Breed: Golden

I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old Golden.

With that long thick coat I'm worried about him overheating.

How can I tell when a dog is overheating beyond just normal panting after a walk or something?

What should I do if he is? Should I try feeding ice cubes? Cold bath? Lots of water? Fans?

Jay

Thanks for sending the picture of Max! He is so gorgeous!

It's really unlikely that Max will overheat unless there are extreme circumstances.

It's hard to tell if he is overheating but a few signs would include:

-lots of panting
-lack of appetite
-really lethargic

If you think Max is warm the best thing you can do is to make sure he has water available all the time. A fan is a great idea, but I've found that often a dog will choose to move away from a fan. So, if he likes it then, sure, go for it, but he may not like it though.

Ice cubes are a great idea as well. You can give him several to chew on and they make great toys as well.

Another thing that dogs like when they are cold is access to a cold floor. If you have a basement with a concrete floor, dogs like to lie spread eagle on a floor like this to cool themselves down.

You'll hear different theories on whether or not you should shave a dog to help cool them down. Personally I don't recommend it for a dog unless you are having trouble keeping his coat from matting.

Behavior after having puppies My dog had puppies three weeks ago. She started acting funny and hid underneath the... (17167 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (12703 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (10150 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (8199 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (19521 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (42284 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (36174 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (13960 views)

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (15691 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (55356 views)