Is my dog overheating?

Breed: Golden

I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old Golden.

With that long thick coat I'm worried about him overheating.

How can I tell when a dog is overheating beyond just normal panting after a walk or something?

What should I do if he is? Should I try feeding ice cubes? Cold bath? Lots of water? Fans?

Jay

Thanks for sending the picture of Max! He is so gorgeous!

It's really unlikely that Max will overheat unless there are extreme circumstances.

It's hard to tell if he is overheating but a few signs would include:

-lots of panting
-lack of appetite
-really lethargic

If you think Max is warm the best thing you can do is to make sure he has water available all the time. A fan is a great idea, but I've found that often a dog will choose to move away from a fan. So, if he likes it then, sure, go for it, but he may not like it though.

Ice cubes are a great idea as well. You can give him several to chew on and they make great toys as well.

Another thing that dogs like when they are cold is access to a cold floor. If you have a basement with a concrete floor, dogs like to lie spread eagle on a floor like this to cool themselves down.

You'll hear different theories on whether or not you should shave a dog to help cool them down. Personally I don't recommend it for a dog unless you are having trouble keeping his coat from matting.

Cat shaking and licking lips. My cat (11 months old) is a male cat, neutered, all shots, etc. He has always been... (21145 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (4446 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (7786 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9499 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (68902 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (4995 views)

Dog has warm ears. Is it normal for my dog to have warm ears? There is no discharge and the ears are... (84852 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (4590 views)

Possible rabies. Hello, My dog bit me, on my arm, exactly 10 days ago. Today is the 10th day and he... (9228 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (16311 views)