Is my dog overheating?

Breed: Golden

I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old Golden.

With that long thick coat I'm worried about him overheating.

How can I tell when a dog is overheating beyond just normal panting after a walk or something?

What should I do if he is? Should I try feeding ice cubes? Cold bath? Lots of water? Fans?

Jay

Thanks for sending the picture of Max! He is so gorgeous!

It's really unlikely that Max will overheat unless there are extreme circumstances.

It's hard to tell if he is overheating but a few signs would include:

-lots of panting
-lack of appetite
-really lethargic

If you think Max is warm the best thing you can do is to make sure he has water available all the time. A fan is a great idea, but I've found that often a dog will choose to move away from a fan. So, if he likes it then, sure, go for it, but he may not like it though.

Ice cubes are a great idea as well. You can give him several to chew on and they make great toys as well.

Another thing that dogs like when they are cold is access to a cold floor. If you have a basement with a concrete floor, dogs like to lie spread eagle on a floor like this to cool themselves down.

You'll hear different theories on whether or not you should shave a dog to help cool them down. Personally I don't recommend it for a dog unless you are having trouble keeping his coat from matting.

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (6532 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (6204 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (55727 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (7748 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (20918 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (13238 views)

Coronavirus and FIP. I recently adopted a cat from overseas, and I found out later he was housed briefly... (7147 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (13459 views)

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (8481 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (16277 views)