Is my dog overheating?

Breed: Golden

I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old Golden.

With that long thick coat I'm worried about him overheating.

How can I tell when a dog is overheating beyond just normal panting after a walk or something?

What should I do if he is? Should I try feeding ice cubes? Cold bath? Lots of water? Fans?

Jay

Thanks for sending the picture of Max! He is so gorgeous!

It's really unlikely that Max will overheat unless there are extreme circumstances.

It's hard to tell if he is overheating but a few signs would include:

-lots of panting
-lack of appetite
-really lethargic

If you think Max is warm the best thing you can do is to make sure he has water available all the time. A fan is a great idea, but I've found that often a dog will choose to move away from a fan. So, if he likes it then, sure, go for it, but he may not like it though.

Ice cubes are a great idea as well. You can give him several to chew on and they make great toys as well.

Another thing that dogs like when they are cold is access to a cold floor. If you have a basement with a concrete floor, dogs like to lie spread eagle on a floor like this to cool themselves down.

You'll hear different theories on whether or not you should shave a dog to help cool them down. Personally I don't recommend it for a dog unless you are having trouble keeping his coat from matting.

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (7662 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (16979 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (10498 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (184372 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (20816 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (20179 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (53297 views)

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (14164 views)

My dog eats too fast. My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating,... (25107 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (10661 views)