Worn footpads.

Breed: Border collie
Hi, Dr. Marie:

I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed my dog too hard in our walking routine and the poor creature has some painful-looking pads. I also noticed a couple nails slightly bleeding. I asked at a pet shop and they recommended pure coconut oil. I'm willing to give that a go but wasn't sure if it's safe for dogs. Is it? Would you recommend something else?

Thank you!!!
Julie

Aw, poor Jammy. :(

I can't say that I have heard of using coconut oil to help in a situation like this. It likely won't hurt if you want to try it though.

Something that may help to soothe Jammy's paw pads is vitamin E. You can either buy vitamin E hand cream or pure vitamin E serum and put it on the sore areas twice daily.

It may help to keep a sock over each of the feet as well to protect them and also to keep the vitamin E from getting all over your house.

Now, if things are not improving within 24 hours then I would have a vet take a look. If Jammy is really sore then they may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication. (There really isn't an over the counter one that I would consider helpful and safe.) Also, if things are looking like they are getting worse in a few days then Jammy could need some antibiotics.

There are some medical conditions that can cause footpad ulcerations and nails to wear down, but if you are pretty certain that this was caused by overwear then these are not likely the case.

I hope things improve soon!

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (21029 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (16385 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (14419 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (9130 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (9773 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (9194 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (11025 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (13640 views)

Pug died after pooping blood. my female pug passed away between 4:00A.M. & 8:00 A.m. yesterday. She had never... (61073 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (10184 views)