Worn footpads.

Breed: Border collie
Hi, Dr. Marie:

I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed my dog too hard in our walking routine and the poor creature has some painful-looking pads. I also noticed a couple nails slightly bleeding. I asked at a pet shop and they recommended pure coconut oil. I'm willing to give that a go but wasn't sure if it's safe for dogs. Is it? Would you recommend something else?

Thank you!!!
Julie

Aw, poor Jammy. :(

I can't say that I have heard of using coconut oil to help in a situation like this. It likely won't hurt if you want to try it though.

Something that may help to soothe Jammy's paw pads is vitamin E. You can either buy vitamin E hand cream or pure vitamin E serum and put it on the sore areas twice daily.

It may help to keep a sock over each of the feet as well to protect them and also to keep the vitamin E from getting all over your house.

Now, if things are not improving within 24 hours then I would have a vet take a look. If Jammy is really sore then they may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication. (There really isn't an over the counter one that I would consider helpful and safe.) Also, if things are looking like they are getting worse in a few days then Jammy could need some antibiotics.

There are some medical conditions that can cause footpad ulcerations and nails to wear down, but if you are pretty certain that this was caused by overwear then these are not likely the case.

I hope things improve soon!

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (110595 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (9582 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (9890 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (7511 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (4236 views)

Meowing and growling cat. I am having problems with my 15 year old neutered cat. She has always been... (11731 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7057 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (5581 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (19591 views)

Guinea pig with mammary tumor. what does a large open lump on a guinea pigs tit mean? the tit has gone!... (11802 views)