Worn footpads.

Breed: Border collie
Hi, Dr. Marie:

I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed my dog too hard in our walking routine and the poor creature has some painful-looking pads. I also noticed a couple nails slightly bleeding. I asked at a pet shop and they recommended pure coconut oil. I'm willing to give that a go but wasn't sure if it's safe for dogs. Is it? Would you recommend something else?

Thank you!!!
Julie

Aw, poor Jammy. :(

I can't say that I have heard of using coconut oil to help in a situation like this. It likely won't hurt if you want to try it though.

Something that may help to soothe Jammy's paw pads is vitamin E. You can either buy vitamin E hand cream or pure vitamin E serum and put it on the sore areas twice daily.

It may help to keep a sock over each of the feet as well to protect them and also to keep the vitamin E from getting all over your house.

Now, if things are not improving within 24 hours then I would have a vet take a look. If Jammy is really sore then they may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication. (There really isn't an over the counter one that I would consider helpful and safe.) Also, if things are looking like they are getting worse in a few days then Jammy could need some antibiotics.

There are some medical conditions that can cause footpad ulcerations and nails to wear down, but if you are pretty certain that this was caused by overwear then these are not likely the case.

I hope things improve soon!

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (9878 views)

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (27939 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (48415 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (35477 views)

Growth near bum of cat. Hello: I noticed my outside male cat had a growth coming out of his back end. After... (15798 views)

Dog ate sewing needle. I think my dog has swallowed a sewing needle. What should I... (40486 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (32864 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (9287 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (9790 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (13430 views)