Worn footpads.

Breed: Border collie
Hi, Dr. Marie:

I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed my dog too hard in our walking routine and the poor creature has some painful-looking pads. I also noticed a couple nails slightly bleeding. I asked at a pet shop and they recommended pure coconut oil. I'm willing to give that a go but wasn't sure if it's safe for dogs. Is it? Would you recommend something else?

Thank you!!!
Julie

Aw, poor Jammy. :(

I can't say that I have heard of using coconut oil to help in a situation like this. It likely won't hurt if you want to try it though.

Something that may help to soothe Jammy's paw pads is vitamin E. You can either buy vitamin E hand cream or pure vitamin E serum and put it on the sore areas twice daily.

It may help to keep a sock over each of the feet as well to protect them and also to keep the vitamin E from getting all over your house.

Now, if things are not improving within 24 hours then I would have a vet take a look. If Jammy is really sore then they may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication. (There really isn't an over the counter one that I would consider helpful and safe.) Also, if things are looking like they are getting worse in a few days then Jammy could need some antibiotics.

There are some medical conditions that can cause footpad ulcerations and nails to wear down, but if you are pretty certain that this was caused by overwear then these are not likely the case.

I hope things improve soon!

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (20727 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (19281 views)

Trifexis overdose. My approx 4-5lb teacup Pomeranian ate HALF of the Trifexis meant for a 60-120lb dog... (5234 views)

Corn in dog food. Is corn in dog food bad for him? And I also have a maltese that is 3 years old. Is... (5212 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (23090 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (17823 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (6649 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (24769 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (11168 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (24175 views)