Worn footpads.

Breed: Border collie
Hi, Dr. Marie:

I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed my dog too hard in our walking routine and the poor creature has some painful-looking pads. I also noticed a couple nails slightly bleeding. I asked at a pet shop and they recommended pure coconut oil. I'm willing to give that a go but wasn't sure if it's safe for dogs. Is it? Would you recommend something else?

Thank you!!!
Julie

Aw, poor Jammy. :(

I can't say that I have heard of using coconut oil to help in a situation like this. It likely won't hurt if you want to try it though.

Something that may help to soothe Jammy's paw pads is vitamin E. You can either buy vitamin E hand cream or pure vitamin E serum and put it on the sore areas twice daily.

It may help to keep a sock over each of the feet as well to protect them and also to keep the vitamin E from getting all over your house.

Now, if things are not improving within 24 hours then I would have a vet take a look. If Jammy is really sore then they may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication. (There really isn't an over the counter one that I would consider helpful and safe.) Also, if things are looking like they are getting worse in a few days then Jammy could need some antibiotics.

There are some medical conditions that can cause footpad ulcerations and nails to wear down, but if you are pretty certain that this was caused by overwear then these are not likely the case.

I hope things improve soon!

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (31728 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (8504 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (9374 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (6372 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (85950 views)

Unexplained liver problems. Dr. Marie, I have a now 14 year old yorkie with some complex medical issues and... (8263 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (6902 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (37533 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (24998 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (25577 views)