Can I use Trifexis now?

Breed: Lab Mix
The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We gave our black lab mix Coal, comfortis on July 27 the day after his neuter surgery. I made the mistake of giving it to him with his pain medication. He did vomit after taking it, I don't know exactly when as I had left for work and he was crated. My question, we switched to Trifexis to have the combined heartword, would it be okay to go ahead and give Coal his dose today the 18th? He is itching and at bath today, my husband found at least 10 fleas. I'm not sure if vomited his dosage up when we gave it to him on the 27th but It seems to be wearing off already.
Thank you

I hear you about the fleas! In my area it's pretty much guaranteed that if you don't have your pet on a good flea product, at this time of year, they're going to get fleas. And then, to make matters worse, every time someone buys a cheap OTC flea product they only kill some of the fleas and the rest remain, possibly creating super resistant fleas. Very frustrating!

If Coal vomited within an hour of getting Comfortis then he likely doesn't have enough in his system to last a full month. You are ok to go ahead and start his Trifexis now.

I have heard the odd unusual complaint of some animals having side effects with Trifexis but I really do think that these are rare.

I have a few other tips that may help you with your quest to get rid of the fleas:

-Be sure to give your Trifexis once a month and for at least 3 months in a row.
-Make sure that every dog or cat in the house is treated with a prescription strength flea product.
-As often as you can, vacuum your house and then throw out the contents of the bag. This will help get rid of any eggs that are in the environment.
-Wash all of your bedding and if possible, put it through the dryer.

If you've got a really bad flea problem then you may still see some fleas in between Trifexis treatments. The reason for this is because if there are eggs on the flooring, they will hatch and jump on the dog. They will die, but it can take a few hours. So, if you are seeing some slow moving fleas, these are ones that are on their way out.

If you do think that there is a bad problem in the house then you could use a house spray such as Siphotrol to help. But usually, a couple of months of a good product on the pet will be enough.

I hope that helps!

Thanks dr. Marie. We have coal the trifexis around 8:30 and no vomiting so hopefully this will help the issue. We also treated our indoor cat tonight with her monthy revolution. I'm a little hesitate to use the sprays or bombs because I'm pregnant so if I can solve it without that, all the better.

Sounds like you're doing the right things!

Congrats on the pregnancy! Seems like a lot of folks are preggers right now...including me!

Hope things improve on the flea front soon.

Recurring respiratory symptoms. My 1 yr old Burmese cat was purchased with what we think is cat flu. She has... (13091 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (13397 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (17122 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (8119 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (6911 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (7219 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (6406 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (25536 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (21464 views)

TPO success rate. WHat is the degree of success from triple... (9147 views)