Can I use Trifexis now?

Breed: Lab Mix
The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We gave our black lab mix Coal, comfortis on July 27 the day after his neuter surgery. I made the mistake of giving it to him with his pain medication. He did vomit after taking it, I don't know exactly when as I had left for work and he was crated. My question, we switched to Trifexis to have the combined heartword, would it be okay to go ahead and give Coal his dose today the 18th? He is itching and at bath today, my husband found at least 10 fleas. I'm not sure if vomited his dosage up when we gave it to him on the 27th but It seems to be wearing off already.
Thank you

I hear you about the fleas! In my area it's pretty much guaranteed that if you don't have your pet on a good flea product, at this time of year, they're going to get fleas. And then, to make matters worse, every time someone buys a cheap OTC flea product they only kill some of the fleas and the rest remain, possibly creating super resistant fleas. Very frustrating!

If Coal vomited within an hour of getting Comfortis then he likely doesn't have enough in his system to last a full month. You are ok to go ahead and start his Trifexis now.

I have heard the odd unusual complaint of some animals having side effects with Trifexis but I really do think that these are rare.

I have a few other tips that may help you with your quest to get rid of the fleas:

-Be sure to give your Trifexis once a month and for at least 3 months in a row.
-Make sure that every dog or cat in the house is treated with a prescription strength flea product.
-As often as you can, vacuum your house and then throw out the contents of the bag. This will help get rid of any eggs that are in the environment.
-Wash all of your bedding and if possible, put it through the dryer.

If you've got a really bad flea problem then you may still see some fleas in between Trifexis treatments. The reason for this is because if there are eggs on the flooring, they will hatch and jump on the dog. They will die, but it can take a few hours. So, if you are seeing some slow moving fleas, these are ones that are on their way out.

If you do think that there is a bad problem in the house then you could use a house spray such as Siphotrol to help. But usually, a couple of months of a good product on the pet will be enough.

I hope that helps!

Thanks dr. Marie. We have coal the trifexis around 8:30 and no vomiting so hopefully this will help the issue. We also treated our indoor cat tonight with her monthy revolution. I'm a little hesitate to use the sprays or bombs because I'm pregnant so if I can solve it without that, all the better.

Sounds like you're doing the right things!

Congrats on the pregnancy! Seems like a lot of folks are preggers right now...including me!

Hope things improve on the flea front soon.

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (8864 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (9667 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (6414 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (6517 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (6422 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (11405 views)

House training adult dog. Is it possible to house break a 5 y/o mini pin that was rescued from a puppy mill? ... (7918 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (15661 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (32008 views)

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (5139 views)