Why did my cat die?

Breed: calico
Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece of mind..last week my very vibrant, active 7 year old female cat became ill literally overnight..ironically, on the very day I put down my other 18 year old cat..she became lethergic, wouldn't eat and drank excessive amounts of water..I brought he to the vet the next morning and after a variety of blood tests and xray, the vet said my cat was very sick, with suspected pancreatites..her liver was affected and she had high sugars and had to be hospitalized for fliud therapy..the vet said she was diabetic and that we had to get her stable with insulin..after four days she showed great improvement and the vet let her come home with me needing to forcefeed her and give her insulin..after a couple of days home she seemed to be getting sick again..her breathing became strange..her eyes became glazed and I thought her sugas dropped so I immediatly gave her syrup but it didn't work..I rushed her to emergency but she died in my arms before I got there..autopsy revealed she died from toxic shock..they said her pancreas was bad for years..my problem is that I don't understand what happened and I don't know why she was only being treated for diabetes if she was sick enough to die..would a different treatment have helped? Or would it have prolonged the inevitable death? I'm so confused, distraught, and just need some clarity..please help ease my mind..

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you and Misty went through such a traumatic time.

This is a tough question to answer.

Problems with the pancreas can be very difficult to figure out. If we see a very sick cat with elevated pancreas enzymes and high blood sugar it can mean pancreatitis, diabetes, diabetic ketoacidosis, liver problems, or pancreatic cancer. Often, even with extensive tests like an ultrasound and xrays we can't tell the difference.

While I can't say for sure what happened to Misty, what I can tell you is that it sounds like there was nothing anyone could have done differently in her case. You definitely didn't miss anything. And it sounds like the vet did all of the right things.

I am so sorry for your loss. Please rest assured that you did the best you could for her.

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (9395 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (33019 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (28886 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (13844 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (7229 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (7691 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (22516 views)

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (3936 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (5165 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (6909 views)