Why did my cat die?

Breed: calico
Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece of mind..last week my very vibrant, active 7 year old female cat became ill literally overnight..ironically, on the very day I put down my other 18 year old cat..she became lethergic, wouldn't eat and drank excessive amounts of water..I brought he to the vet the next morning and after a variety of blood tests and xray, the vet said my cat was very sick, with suspected pancreatites..her liver was affected and she had high sugars and had to be hospitalized for fliud therapy..the vet said she was diabetic and that we had to get her stable with insulin..after four days she showed great improvement and the vet let her come home with me needing to forcefeed her and give her insulin..after a couple of days home she seemed to be getting sick again..her breathing became strange..her eyes became glazed and I thought her sugas dropped so I immediatly gave her syrup but it didn't work..I rushed her to emergency but she died in my arms before I got there..autopsy revealed she died from toxic shock..they said her pancreas was bad for years..my problem is that I don't understand what happened and I don't know why she was only being treated for diabetes if she was sick enough to die..would a different treatment have helped? Or would it have prolonged the inevitable death? I'm so confused, distraught, and just need some clarity..please help ease my mind..

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you and Misty went through such a traumatic time.

This is a tough question to answer.

Problems with the pancreas can be very difficult to figure out. If we see a very sick cat with elevated pancreas enzymes and high blood sugar it can mean pancreatitis, diabetes, diabetic ketoacidosis, liver problems, or pancreatic cancer. Often, even with extensive tests like an ultrasound and xrays we can't tell the difference.

While I can't say for sure what happened to Misty, what I can tell you is that it sounds like there was nothing anyone could have done differently in her case. You definitely didn't miss anything. And it sounds like the vet did all of the right things.

I am so sorry for your loss. Please rest assured that you did the best you could for her.

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (7680 views)

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (5651 views)

Puppies with dandruff. We got 5 puppies from a friend of mine and the puppies have hair loss itching and it... (5889 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (14038 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (4747 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (7669 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (17344 views)

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (13058 views)

Ear problems. Charlie has possibly caught ear mites. He his continuously scratching for minutes... (7176 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (8244 views)