Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Why did my cat die?

Species: Cat
Breed: calico
Age: 5-8 years
Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece of mind..last week my very vibrant, active 7 year old female cat became ill literally overnight..ironically, on the very day I put down my other 18 year old cat..she became lethergic, wouldn't eat and drank excessive amounts of water..I brought he to the vet the next morning and after a variety of blood tests and xray, the vet said my cat was very sick, with suspected pancreatites..her liver was affected and she had high sugars and had to be hospitalized for fliud therapy..the vet said she was diabetic and that we had to get her stable with insulin..after four days she showed great improvement and the vet let her come home with me needing to forcefeed her and give her insulin..after a couple of days home she seemed to be getting sick again..her breathing became strange..her eyes became glazed and I thought her sugas dropped so I immediatly gave her syrup but it didn't work..I rushed her to emergency but she died in my arms before I got there..autopsy revealed she died from toxic shock..they said her pancreas was bad for years..my problem is that I don't understand what happened and I don't know why she was only being treated for diabetes if she was sick enough to die..would a different treatment have helped? Or would it have prolonged the inevitable death? I'm so confused, distraught, and just need some clarity..please help ease my mind..


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you and Misty went through such a traumatic time.

This is a tough question to answer.

Problems with the pancreas can be very difficult to figure out. If we see a very sick cat with elevated pancreas enzymes and high blood sugar it can mean pancreatitis, diabetes, diabetic ketoacidosis, liver problems, or pancreatic cancer. Often, even with extensive tests like an ultrasound and xrays we can't tell the difference.

While I can't say for sure what happened to Misty, what I can tell you is that it sounds like there was nothing anyone could have done differently in her case. You definitely didn't miss anything. And it sounds like the vet did all of the right things.

I am so sorry for your loss. Please rest assured that you did the best you could for her.

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (17461 views)

Will I be forced to euthanize? Hello, i have a 14 year old pit bull/bull mastiff mix (50-60 lb and on the smaller... (10770 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (9071 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (11893 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (101795 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (16127 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (11919 views)

Feline leukemia questions. Hi-Recently we discovered that a stray cat had kittens in our garage. Only 2 in the... (21418 views)

Urinating in the house. I have a 6 y.o. Bichon Frisé who should be house trained by now. In fact, he is... (20287 views)

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (28540 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.