Why did my cat die?

Breed: calico
Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece of mind..last week my very vibrant, active 7 year old female cat became ill literally overnight..ironically, on the very day I put down my other 18 year old cat..she became lethergic, wouldn't eat and drank excessive amounts of water..I brought he to the vet the next morning and after a variety of blood tests and xray, the vet said my cat was very sick, with suspected pancreatites..her liver was affected and she had high sugars and had to be hospitalized for fliud therapy..the vet said she was diabetic and that we had to get her stable with insulin..after four days she showed great improvement and the vet let her come home with me needing to forcefeed her and give her insulin..after a couple of days home she seemed to be getting sick again..her breathing became strange..her eyes became glazed and I thought her sugas dropped so I immediatly gave her syrup but it didn't work..I rushed her to emergency but she died in my arms before I got there..autopsy revealed she died from toxic shock..they said her pancreas was bad for years..my problem is that I don't understand what happened and I don't know why she was only being treated for diabetes if she was sick enough to die..would a different treatment have helped? Or would it have prolonged the inevitable death? I'm so confused, distraught, and just need some clarity..please help ease my mind..

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that you and Misty went through such a traumatic time.

This is a tough question to answer.

Problems with the pancreas can be very difficult to figure out. If we see a very sick cat with elevated pancreas enzymes and high blood sugar it can mean pancreatitis, diabetes, diabetic ketoacidosis, liver problems, or pancreatic cancer. Often, even with extensive tests like an ultrasound and xrays we can't tell the difference.

While I can't say for sure what happened to Misty, what I can tell you is that it sounds like there was nothing anyone could have done differently in her case. You definitely didn't miss anything. And it sounds like the vet did all of the right things.

I am so sorry for your loss. Please rest assured that you did the best you could for her.

Why do dogs eat grass? I recently moved and walk my dog around the new neighborhood. Two times now he has... (14875 views)

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (9815 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (5997 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16711 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (11337 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (37096 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (24745 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (39205 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (8923 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (8623 views)