Red spot on dog's neck.

Breed: Pug
I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his back a little above his shoulder blades and about the size of a dime. His hair is coming off in that spot. It is a little raised and very red and crusty. Should I take him to the doctors?
I will email the photo of Thunder.
Thank you!

Thank you for sending me this excellent photo of the red spot on your dog's neck:

red spot on dog's neck

You mentioned when you sent the photo that you had recently applied a topical flea medication. I think that there is a good possibility that this is a reaction to that treatment.

Whether or not you take your dog in to see the vet depends on how bothersome the spot is. If your dog is not scratching at it then it may be ok to watch it for the next few days and see if it is improving. If it's getting bigger or starts to ooze pus at all then I'd take him in for a vet to look at it. However, if it is really itchy then he should probably have it looked at sooner.

Reactions like this are not common, but I have definitely seen them happen.

Hope things work out ok!

Thank you Dr. Marie!

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (10962 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (5690 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (7797 views)

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (18939 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (19941 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (13159 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (39815 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (16501 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (19998 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (8354 views)