Red spot on dog's neck.

Breed: Pug
I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his back a little above his shoulder blades and about the size of a dime. His hair is coming off in that spot. It is a little raised and very red and crusty. Should I take him to the doctors?
I will email the photo of Thunder.
Thank you!

Thank you for sending me this excellent photo of the red spot on your dog's neck:

red spot on dog's neck

You mentioned when you sent the photo that you had recently applied a topical flea medication. I think that there is a good possibility that this is a reaction to that treatment.

Whether or not you take your dog in to see the vet depends on how bothersome the spot is. If your dog is not scratching at it then it may be ok to watch it for the next few days and see if it is improving. If it's getting bigger or starts to ooze pus at all then I'd take him in for a vet to look at it. However, if it is really itchy then he should probably have it looked at sooner.

Reactions like this are not common, but I have definitely seen them happen.

Hope things work out ok!

Thank you Dr. Marie!

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (10657 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (27722 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4575 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (52528 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (12810 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (8106 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (11227 views)

D-Con mice bait ingested. 75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement,... (18922 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (6726 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (10561 views)