Red spot on dog's neck.

Breed: Pug
I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his back a little above his shoulder blades and about the size of a dime. His hair is coming off in that spot. It is a little raised and very red and crusty. Should I take him to the doctors?
I will email the photo of Thunder.
Thank you!

Thank you for sending me this excellent photo of the red spot on your dog's neck:

red spot on dog's neck

You mentioned when you sent the photo that you had recently applied a topical flea medication. I think that there is a good possibility that this is a reaction to that treatment.

Whether or not you take your dog in to see the vet depends on how bothersome the spot is. If your dog is not scratching at it then it may be ok to watch it for the next few days and see if it is improving. If it's getting bigger or starts to ooze pus at all then I'd take him in for a vet to look at it. However, if it is really itchy then he should probably have it looked at sooner.

Reactions like this are not common, but I have definitely seen them happen.

Hope things work out ok!

Thank you Dr. Marie!

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (16493 views)

Incontinent after exercise. Sporadically over the course of the past year or 15 months Keeley will have... (17888 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (42654 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (47637 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (21849 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (48980 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (12955 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (6451 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (12778 views)

Phenobarbital and Zonisamide. Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages... (7774 views)