Male cat nipple problem.

Breed: Moggy
My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger and because he has started licking it, it is now bleeding. I tried tying a tea towel around him to discourage the licking. I am worried. Thankyou Judy

Hi Judy, thanks for your question.

There are a few things that could cause a cat to have a large nipple.

One possibility is if the skin is infected. This could happen as a result of any sort of break in the skin. It then becomes a vicious cycle that the skin is irritated and so he licks it and irritates it more. Irritated skin can get infected quite easily.

Unfortunately if it is infected then the only effective treatment is likely to be antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

The other possibility is a tumor. A mammary tumor is not common in a young male cat. However, if it is a tumor, the sooner it is treated the better. 50% of mammary tumors in cats are benign and the other 50% are cancerous tumors that can spread to other parts of the body.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that I can advise to fix this up at home. You can put an Elizabethan Collar on him to stop the licking, but this would be a very temporary fix.

I would highly advise a vet visit as soon as possible to have this checked out. Hopefully it is nothing serious!

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (6619 views)

viscious dogs Killer dogs next door! We live next door to 4 dogs, a female German Shepard, a... (12162 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (14106 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13249 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (12964 views)

Bad breath he has bad breath is there a way to look after it without the vet... (7426 views)

Rabbit thymoma? Okay. Hi. I'm very concerned about my bun. I have gone to the vet twice. The first... (19394 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5279 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (19090 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19726 views)