Male cat nipple problem.

Breed: Moggy
My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger and because he has started licking it, it is now bleeding. I tried tying a tea towel around him to discourage the licking. I am worried. Thankyou Judy

Hi Judy, thanks for your question.

There are a few things that could cause a cat to have a large nipple.

One possibility is if the skin is infected. This could happen as a result of any sort of break in the skin. It then becomes a vicious cycle that the skin is irritated and so he licks it and irritates it more. Irritated skin can get infected quite easily.

Unfortunately if it is infected then the only effective treatment is likely to be antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

The other possibility is a tumor. A mammary tumor is not common in a young male cat. However, if it is a tumor, the sooner it is treated the better. 50% of mammary tumors in cats are benign and the other 50% are cancerous tumors that can spread to other parts of the body.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that I can advise to fix this up at home. You can put an Elizabethan Collar on him to stop the licking, but this would be a very temporary fix.

I would highly advise a vet visit as soon as possible to have this checked out. Hopefully it is nothing serious!

My hamster bites my friends. My hamster dosent bite me ever, he only bites other people. He has never ever... (7993 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (18531 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5923 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (12609 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (14494 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (15933 views)

Still have puppies inside? my dog had puppies 2 days ago 6 puppies were the only ones that came out, four came... (15886 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13273 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (21377 views)

Sedation for euthanasia? My cat was recently diagnosed with tumors in his lungs.He's no longer eating on his... (11723 views)