Male cat nipple problem.

Breed: Moggy
My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger and because he has started licking it, it is now bleeding. I tried tying a tea towel around him to discourage the licking. I am worried. Thankyou Judy

Hi Judy, thanks for your question.

There are a few things that could cause a cat to have a large nipple.

One possibility is if the skin is infected. This could happen as a result of any sort of break in the skin. It then becomes a vicious cycle that the skin is irritated and so he licks it and irritates it more. Irritated skin can get infected quite easily.

Unfortunately if it is infected then the only effective treatment is likely to be antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

The other possibility is a tumor. A mammary tumor is not common in a young male cat. However, if it is a tumor, the sooner it is treated the better. 50% of mammary tumors in cats are benign and the other 50% are cancerous tumors that can spread to other parts of the body.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that I can advise to fix this up at home. You can put an Elizabethan Collar on him to stop the licking, but this would be a very temporary fix.

I would highly advise a vet visit as soon as possible to have this checked out. Hopefully it is nothing serious!

Lump on hedgehog I have a hedgehog who has a lump behind his right ear and down into his neck. If I... (17274 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (8180 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (34561 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (53005 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (8454 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (24925 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (10965 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8064 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10264 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (9493 views)