Male cat nipple problem.

Breed: Moggy
My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger and because he has started licking it, it is now bleeding. I tried tying a tea towel around him to discourage the licking. I am worried. Thankyou Judy

Hi Judy, thanks for your question.

There are a few things that could cause a cat to have a large nipple.

One possibility is if the skin is infected. This could happen as a result of any sort of break in the skin. It then becomes a vicious cycle that the skin is irritated and so he licks it and irritates it more. Irritated skin can get infected quite easily.

Unfortunately if it is infected then the only effective treatment is likely to be antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

The other possibility is a tumor. A mammary tumor is not common in a young male cat. However, if it is a tumor, the sooner it is treated the better. 50% of mammary tumors in cats are benign and the other 50% are cancerous tumors that can spread to other parts of the body.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that I can advise to fix this up at home. You can put an Elizabethan Collar on him to stop the licking, but this would be a very temporary fix.

I would highly advise a vet visit as soon as possible to have this checked out. Hopefully it is nothing serious!

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (114308 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (94740 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (13136 views)

Sick cat. HI. MY cat has been sick for the last two months or so. The last few weeks however,... (11066 views)

Strong smelling urine. i have a male cat an recently his urine has become very strong, he hasnt been done... (11455 views)

Megaesophagus in a puppy. I have a 7 week old lab/pit mix puppy who has been throwing up her food since we got... (8868 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (81704 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (15632 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (15686 views)

Older cat losing weight. My eleven year old cat has congenital hipdisplasia however she has been happy... (23872 views)