Male cat nipple problem.

Breed: Moggy
My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger and because he has started licking it, it is now bleeding. I tried tying a tea towel around him to discourage the licking. I am worried. Thankyou Judy

Hi Judy, thanks for your question.

There are a few things that could cause a cat to have a large nipple.

One possibility is if the skin is infected. This could happen as a result of any sort of break in the skin. It then becomes a vicious cycle that the skin is irritated and so he licks it and irritates it more. Irritated skin can get infected quite easily.

Unfortunately if it is infected then the only effective treatment is likely to be antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

The other possibility is a tumor. A mammary tumor is not common in a young male cat. However, if it is a tumor, the sooner it is treated the better. 50% of mammary tumors in cats are benign and the other 50% are cancerous tumors that can spread to other parts of the body.

Unfortunately there is not a lot that I can advise to fix this up at home. You can put an Elizabethan Collar on him to stop the licking, but this would be a very temporary fix.

I would highly advise a vet visit as soon as possible to have this checked out. Hopefully it is nothing serious!

Diarrhea and increased appetite. We found a cat that we have decided to keep. We have had all his shots, Neutered and... (6847 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (27511 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (19098 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (35193 views)

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (6524 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (8566 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (10827 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (21771 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (13573 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (27729 views)