Black poop and worms.

Breed: dachsund
my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has lost about 20 pounds and is less than skin and bones now and can barely walk now and is pooping black poop...what should we do?

Hi Alexis...sorry to hear that Fritz is having problems. What you have described really does have me concerned.

While parasites can cause some weight loss they don't usually cause the severity of symptoms that you have described.

Black stool can be a sign of bleeding in the stomach which could be because of a stomach ulcer or possibly a tumor in the stomach.

Your dog does really need to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. If I were seeing Fritz I would likely do some bloodwork and xrays. It is not a bad idea to do a fecal exam to look for other types of parasites that general dewormers do not cover. However, I think this is something much more serious than parasites.

I wish I could tell you more. If she has lost this much weight and is having this much difficulty moving around there is likely not a home remedy that can be done. Hopefully Fritz can see a vet tomorrow. Your vet will help you decide how serious this is and whether or not she can be treated.

I really hope she is ok!

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (17068 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (14779 views)

Ear margin dermatosis. Hello, I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty... (91021 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (7984 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (12628 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (12654 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (28184 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (126804 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (10756 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (172539 views)