Black poop and worms.

Breed: dachsund
my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has lost about 20 pounds and is less than skin and bones now and can barely walk now and is pooping black poop...what should we do?

Hi Alexis...sorry to hear that Fritz is having problems. What you have described really does have me concerned.

While parasites can cause some weight loss they don't usually cause the severity of symptoms that you have described.

Black stool can be a sign of bleeding in the stomach which could be because of a stomach ulcer or possibly a tumor in the stomach.

Your dog does really need to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. If I were seeing Fritz I would likely do some bloodwork and xrays. It is not a bad idea to do a fecal exam to look for other types of parasites that general dewormers do not cover. However, I think this is something much more serious than parasites.

I wish I could tell you more. If she has lost this much weight and is having this much difficulty moving around there is likely not a home remedy that can be done. Hopefully Fritz can see a vet tomorrow. Your vet will help you decide how serious this is and whether or not she can be treated.

I really hope she is ok!

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (22450 views)

Cat is hungry and has swollen tummy. Our cat seems to be hungry all the time, she is spayed, but we have just moved... (24697 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (11944 views)

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (9165 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (4455 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (3941 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (17240 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (6994 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (60662 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (7493 views)