Black poop and worms.

Breed: dachsund
my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has lost about 20 pounds and is less than skin and bones now and can barely walk now and is pooping black poop...what should we do?

Hi Alexis...sorry to hear that Fritz is having problems. What you have described really does have me concerned.

While parasites can cause some weight loss they don't usually cause the severity of symptoms that you have described.

Black stool can be a sign of bleeding in the stomach which could be because of a stomach ulcer or possibly a tumor in the stomach.

Your dog does really need to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. If I were seeing Fritz I would likely do some bloodwork and xrays. It is not a bad idea to do a fecal exam to look for other types of parasites that general dewormers do not cover. However, I think this is something much more serious than parasites.

I wish I could tell you more. If she has lost this much weight and is having this much difficulty moving around there is likely not a home remedy that can be done. Hopefully Fritz can see a vet tomorrow. Your vet will help you decide how serious this is and whether or not she can be treated.

I really hope she is ok!

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8241 views)

Hyperthyroidism and IBD. We adopted Mo 10 years ago from the Humane Society. She was about 6 years old at... (11094 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (33213 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (104123 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (63065 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12109 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (10999 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (43170 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (24100 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (9515 views)