Black poop and worms.

Breed: dachsund
my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has lost about 20 pounds and is less than skin and bones now and can barely walk now and is pooping black poop...what should we do?

Hi Alexis...sorry to hear that Fritz is having problems. What you have described really does have me concerned.

While parasites can cause some weight loss they don't usually cause the severity of symptoms that you have described.

Black stool can be a sign of bleeding in the stomach which could be because of a stomach ulcer or possibly a tumor in the stomach.

Your dog does really need to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. If I were seeing Fritz I would likely do some bloodwork and xrays. It is not a bad idea to do a fecal exam to look for other types of parasites that general dewormers do not cover. However, I think this is something much more serious than parasites.

I wish I could tell you more. If she has lost this much weight and is having this much difficulty moving around there is likely not a home remedy that can be done. Hopefully Fritz can see a vet tomorrow. Your vet will help you decide how serious this is and whether or not she can be treated.

I really hope she is ok!

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (20229 views)

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (9201 views)

Understanding biopsy report. Hi Dr. Marie, I imagine you are getting sick of hearing from me. I'm... (5718 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (14749 views)

Bleeding cat? my cat (female and she has has been neutered)appears to be dropping a red liquid in... (9914 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (7152 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (10151 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (7469 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (14025 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (7146 views)