bloat in boerboels

Breed: Boerboel
Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about getting one in the future but, i'm doing some research as much as i can. I do have one question that's bothering me and i was hoping you could help me... Is the boerboel breed prone to bloat? On some sites i've been say they are but on others, doesn't even say a thing about bloat. Please help me!

Hi and thanks for your question.

Any large breed dog can be at risk for bloat which occurs when the stomach twists and fills with air.

I couldn't find any specific information on the incidence of bloat in Boerboels, but this is likely because the breed is not terribly common.

However, Boerboels are a type of Mastiff and Mastiffs are well known for being prone to bloat.

I hope this information helps!

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (4710 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (9958 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (56309 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (5903 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (5232 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (19509 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (14454 views)

Senior cat not eating and losing weight. My male cat will not eat and when he does only small amounts. we are constantly... (10563 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (7650 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (9718 views)