bloat in boerboels

Breed: Boerboel
Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about getting one in the future but, i'm doing some research as much as i can. I do have one question that's bothering me and i was hoping you could help me... Is the boerboel breed prone to bloat? On some sites i've been say they are but on others, doesn't even say a thing about bloat. Please help me!

Hi and thanks for your question.

Any large breed dog can be at risk for bloat which occurs when the stomach twists and fills with air.

I couldn't find any specific information on the incidence of bloat in Boerboels, but this is likely because the breed is not terribly common.

However, Boerboels are a type of Mastiff and Mastiffs are well known for being prone to bloat.

I hope this information helps!

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (13636 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (11294 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (10630 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (9257 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (44828 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (15227 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (25953 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (20236 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (16301 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (14520 views)