bloat in boerboels

Breed: Boerboel
Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about getting one in the future but, i'm doing some research as much as i can. I do have one question that's bothering me and i was hoping you could help me... Is the boerboel breed prone to bloat? On some sites i've been say they are but on others, doesn't even say a thing about bloat. Please help me!

Hi and thanks for your question.

Any large breed dog can be at risk for bloat which occurs when the stomach twists and fills with air.

I couldn't find any specific information on the incidence of bloat in Boerboels, but this is likely because the breed is not terribly common.

However, Boerboels are a type of Mastiff and Mastiffs are well known for being prone to bloat.

I hope this information helps!

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (22524 views)

Dog coughing. We let our dog do her business in the backyard. However, we are currently in the... (50255 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (14604 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (11356 views)

Grief after dog passed away. I recently lost my 13 year old German Shepherd mix. She is my first dog. My... (8006 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (9370 views)

Dog pooping and peeing in house. why does my dog poo or pee when i leeve her out in the house at night ??? when i... (9789 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (6211 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (15734 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (6624 views)