bloat in boerboels

Breed: Boerboel
Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about getting one in the future but, i'm doing some research as much as i can. I do have one question that's bothering me and i was hoping you could help me... Is the boerboel breed prone to bloat? On some sites i've been say they are but on others, doesn't even say a thing about bloat. Please help me!

Hi and thanks for your question.

Any large breed dog can be at risk for bloat which occurs when the stomach twists and fills with air.

I couldn't find any specific information on the incidence of bloat in Boerboels, but this is likely because the breed is not terribly common.

However, Boerboels are a type of Mastiff and Mastiffs are well known for being prone to bloat.

I hope this information helps!

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (8927 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (33832 views)

Trim ferret's teeth? can you trim your ferrets teeth so that when they bite it wont hurt as much and if... (8086 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (45480 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (8340 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (8008 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (14259 views)

Not eating losing weight. Age: 13 months Weight: 8 1/2 pounds He was 9 pounds, but lost half a pound in May.... (4686 views)

Sick guinea pig. hello, i need help. my guinea pig peppy is really dehydrated and really weak, today... (12184 views)

Dog bleeding from nose and died. This might seem unnecessary and irrelevant now, but maybe even shedding a little... (71194 views)