My dog is bleeding.

Breed: lab/terrier mix
I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to the appearance of stitches on her belly that they assumed she was fixed. However, around her first birthday she bled for two days. Is 12 weeks to early to fix a female puppy? if the surgery was performed is it possible that it didnt take? if she isn't fixed, is it safe for her to have puppies? please help!

Interesting. If Fiona had stitches on her abdomen at 12 weeks of age it most likely was because she was spayed. It is common for some shelters and humane societies to do juvenile spays.

Another possible reason for stitches would be a hernia repair, but it would be very unlikely that she would have this surgery and not be spayed at the same time.

Did she actually have stitches in place or did they just think there was a scar there? If it was a guess then I would say that perhaps she is not spayed.

If this truly was a heat that she had she really should have bled more than 2 days. I'm wondering if perhaps she had an issue with her urine such as an infection or a problem with bladder stones/crystals.

There are rare cases where a dog can be spayed but a small amount of ovarian tissue is left in place. This can potentially cause heat cycles. It is really uncommon that this happens though.

It's probably a good idea to have your vet check a urine sample to be sure there is no urinary issue. If she has the bleeding problem again I would advise that you have your vet see her while she is bleeding. They can do a vaginal smear to find out if she is in heat or not. If so, she may need to have an exploratory surgery.

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (10844 views)

Feeding sardines. I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his... (14242 views)

Sudden death. My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of... (20573 views)

Seizures in a Yorkie. This past Monday she had an episode where she went limp and wasn't responsive to her... (21843 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (18274 views)

Old dog vomiting. My dog has been throwing up food that she eats except soft stuff, she is old and she... (15414 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (4880 views)

Dog has bone cancer. My dog has been limping for some time now. His toe has been diagnosed with Bone... (10756 views)

Lump with open sores. Hello. My dog has a very large lump on his leg with open sores which bleeds... (27371 views)

Indestructible dog toys. Hi Dr, Fortunately I'm not writing about an illness. Since his neutering Max... (10040 views)