My dog is bleeding.

Breed: lab/terrier mix
I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to the appearance of stitches on her belly that they assumed she was fixed. However, around her first birthday she bled for two days. Is 12 weeks to early to fix a female puppy? if the surgery was performed is it possible that it didnt take? if she isn't fixed, is it safe for her to have puppies? please help!

Interesting. If Fiona had stitches on her abdomen at 12 weeks of age it most likely was because she was spayed. It is common for some shelters and humane societies to do juvenile spays.

Another possible reason for stitches would be a hernia repair, but it would be very unlikely that she would have this surgery and not be spayed at the same time.

Did she actually have stitches in place or did they just think there was a scar there? If it was a guess then I would say that perhaps she is not spayed.

If this truly was a heat that she had she really should have bled more than 2 days. I'm wondering if perhaps she had an issue with her urine such as an infection or a problem with bladder stones/crystals.

There are rare cases where a dog can be spayed but a small amount of ovarian tissue is left in place. This can potentially cause heat cycles. It is really uncommon that this happens though.

It's probably a good idea to have your vet check a urine sample to be sure there is no urinary issue. If she has the bleeding problem again I would advise that you have your vet see her while she is bleeding. They can do a vaginal smear to find out if she is in heat or not. If so, she may need to have an exploratory surgery.

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (9309 views)

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (8199 views)

Vacuolar hepatopathy. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's elevated bile acid... (18122 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (8944 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (12346 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (42533 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (10250 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (61720 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (7955 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (13914 views)