My dog is bleeding.

Breed: lab/terrier mix
I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to the appearance of stitches on her belly that they assumed she was fixed. However, around her first birthday she bled for two days. Is 12 weeks to early to fix a female puppy? if the surgery was performed is it possible that it didnt take? if she isn't fixed, is it safe for her to have puppies? please help!

Interesting. If Fiona had stitches on her abdomen at 12 weeks of age it most likely was because she was spayed. It is common for some shelters and humane societies to do juvenile spays.

Another possible reason for stitches would be a hernia repair, but it would be very unlikely that she would have this surgery and not be spayed at the same time.

Did she actually have stitches in place or did they just think there was a scar there? If it was a guess then I would say that perhaps she is not spayed.

If this truly was a heat that she had she really should have bled more than 2 days. I'm wondering if perhaps she had an issue with her urine such as an infection or a problem with bladder stones/crystals.

There are rare cases where a dog can be spayed but a small amount of ovarian tissue is left in place. This can potentially cause heat cycles. It is really uncommon that this happens though.

It's probably a good idea to have your vet check a urine sample to be sure there is no urinary issue. If she has the bleeding problem again I would advise that you have your vet see her while she is bleeding. They can do a vaginal smear to find out if she is in heat or not. If so, she may need to have an exploratory surgery.

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (5817 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (6755 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (6990 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (13185 views)

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (9895 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (5943 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (12894 views)

Coughing and liver problems. Hi there! We are hoping that you can lend us some advice with our baby. Our... (10625 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (8655 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (3760 views)