My dog is bleeding.

Breed: lab/terrier mix
I adopted my dog from a local shelter as a puppy of 12 weeks. they said that due to the appearance of stitches on her belly that they assumed she was fixed. However, around her first birthday she bled for two days. Is 12 weeks to early to fix a female puppy? if the surgery was performed is it possible that it didnt take? if she isn't fixed, is it safe for her to have puppies? please help!

Interesting. If Fiona had stitches on her abdomen at 12 weeks of age it most likely was because she was spayed. It is common for some shelters and humane societies to do juvenile spays.

Another possible reason for stitches would be a hernia repair, but it would be very unlikely that she would have this surgery and not be spayed at the same time.

Did she actually have stitches in place or did they just think there was a scar there? If it was a guess then I would say that perhaps she is not spayed.

If this truly was a heat that she had she really should have bled more than 2 days. I'm wondering if perhaps she had an issue with her urine such as an infection or a problem with bladder stones/crystals.

There are rare cases where a dog can be spayed but a small amount of ovarian tissue is left in place. This can potentially cause heat cycles. It is really uncommon that this happens though.

It's probably a good idea to have your vet check a urine sample to be sure there is no urinary issue. If she has the bleeding problem again I would advise that you have your vet see her while she is bleeding. They can do a vaginal smear to find out if she is in heat or not. If so, she may need to have an exploratory surgery.

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (19223 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (17135 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (23494 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (4788 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (21112 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (4792 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (15240 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (8834 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (6929 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (8508 views)