Lentigo on a daschund.

Breed: Dachshund
Dear Dr. Marie,

I just recently discovered these black dots on my dogs chest when I was clipping his nails. I have touched them and they are smooth to the touch, not coming off with a gentle rub. Looking around online I found something that may be close "Acanthosis Nigricans". However, Howie isn't the skinniest Dachshund, but he is not the biggest by any means. Any ideas?

By the way Howie is 5 years of age.

Here are some pictures I uploaded to PhotoBucket:

Howie standing:
black spots on belly

Howie's chest w/out a camera flash:
black spots on dog's chest

Howie's chest w/ a camera flash:
black spots on dog's chest

Thank you,

Kraig Blamires

Hi Kraig...thanks for the great photos. Howie looks like a real sweetheart.

Acanthosis nigricans is usually much "uglier" than this. It can definitely affect daschunds, but usually it is in the armpits and causes the skin to be very thickened, almost like elephant skin. It is possible that this is the early formation of acanthosis nigricans, but my guess would be that it isn't.

Some dogs can get raised black dots called comedomes, but these don't sound like they're raised at all.

Sometimes I can see little black dots when an infection is starting...but again, this doesn't look likely from the pictures.

Most likely though, this is something called lentigo. Lentigo is kind of like "age spots" in people. They are nothing to worry about.

My general rule of thumb for things like these is that if they are not bothersome then I wouldn't be worried. If you start noticing that they are raised or itchy then I would have your vet look at them.

Keep in mind though, that I can't make a diagnosis over the internet. So, if you are concerned or if your "gut" is telling you that something is wrong then have your vet check Howie out!

Thank you for your quick reply. As it sits right now Howie doesn't seem to be bothered at all by them. If he starts acting out of the norm at all I will for sure bring him into the vet.

It just worried me, because they literally just appeared. I clipped his nails a week ago and don't remember anything being there.

You're very welcome! If anything changes, feel free to reply!

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (17969 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (11868 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (9500 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (11017 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (23889 views)

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (13162 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (7034 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (10608 views)

My dog won't eat. Hello i have a male 2 year old pitbull. He is an extremely picky eater when it comes... (13927 views)

PNST in a dog. My Jack Russell (8 years old) was just diagnosed with a PNST. Which was discovered... (11984 views)