Home treatment for abscess.

Breed: tabby
My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away the hair from the wound irrigated it and bandaged it with polysporin Daily.My friend a doc told me amoxill for kids is okay for the cat 10mg per pound 2 x a day. She has been receiving this for 3 days now. No fever. Eating well. Social.
The wound is 2 in long and 1 inch wide. right threw all layers of skin down to the tissue that covers her insides. The wound is clean and puss free. I do have a cone on her head so she can not chew at it. I am worried it will not heal without being stitched closed. I can not see a vet until pay day as they do not see you on an IOU til payday.
I am wondering if it would be wise to get butterfly surgical tape and pull the skin together and tape it closed?
Thanks
Lisa

You'll need to find a way to get Ashley to a vet. Attempting to do any surgery on your own cat is actually a criminal act in most states as you are practicing veterinary medicine without a license. Additionally, trying to suture this on your own would likely make infection worse.

I have seen cases like this where animals with an abscess were treated at home and almost every time I end up seeing that the infection gets dramatically worse and needs extensive and expensive surgery.

Sorry to be so harsh, but Ashley needs to see a vet immediately.

If finances are a concern these organizations that help with vet bills may help you.

Added: I have received your repeated attempts to respond to this question (even though the free questions clearly state that this is not an option.) I rarely respond in situations like this, but I will make an exception for you.

If this wound is 2 inches by 1 inch it definitely needs to be seen by a vet. I apologize that I misread your question as saying you wanted to stitch this wound. Regardless, trying to apply surgical tape sutures to this would not be helpful. I sincerely hope that this heals. Again, I have had a number of cases like this where proper treatment was delayed and it ended up in very expensive surgery being needed.

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (68870 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (8592 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (10269 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (14539 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (8552 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (9516 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (8323 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (32477 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (7853 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (27182 views)