Home treatment for abscess.

Breed: tabby
My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away the hair from the wound irrigated it and bandaged it with polysporin Daily.My friend a doc told me amoxill for kids is okay for the cat 10mg per pound 2 x a day. She has been receiving this for 3 days now. No fever. Eating well. Social.
The wound is 2 in long and 1 inch wide. right threw all layers of skin down to the tissue that covers her insides. The wound is clean and puss free. I do have a cone on her head so she can not chew at it. I am worried it will not heal without being stitched closed. I can not see a vet until pay day as they do not see you on an IOU til payday.
I am wondering if it would be wise to get butterfly surgical tape and pull the skin together and tape it closed?
Thanks
Lisa

You'll need to find a way to get Ashley to a vet. Attempting to do any surgery on your own cat is actually a criminal act in most states as you are practicing veterinary medicine without a license. Additionally, trying to suture this on your own would likely make infection worse.

I have seen cases like this where animals with an abscess were treated at home and almost every time I end up seeing that the infection gets dramatically worse and needs extensive and expensive surgery.

Sorry to be so harsh, but Ashley needs to see a vet immediately.

If finances are a concern these organizations that help with vet bills may help you.

Added: I have received your repeated attempts to respond to this question (even though the free questions clearly state that this is not an option.) I rarely respond in situations like this, but I will make an exception for you.

If this wound is 2 inches by 1 inch it definitely needs to be seen by a vet. I apologize that I misread your question as saying you wanted to stitch this wound. Regardless, trying to apply surgical tape sutures to this would not be helpful. I sincerely hope that this heals. Again, I have had a number of cases like this where proper treatment was delayed and it ended up in very expensive surgery being needed.

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (6008 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (14378 views)

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (13551 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (32774 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (10940 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (4567 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (18902 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (18696 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (219182 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (8642 views)