Home treatment for abscess.

Breed: tabby
My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away the hair from the wound irrigated it and bandaged it with polysporin Daily.My friend a doc told me amoxill for kids is okay for the cat 10mg per pound 2 x a day. She has been receiving this for 3 days now. No fever. Eating well. Social.
The wound is 2 in long and 1 inch wide. right threw all layers of skin down to the tissue that covers her insides. The wound is clean and puss free. I do have a cone on her head so she can not chew at it. I am worried it will not heal without being stitched closed. I can not see a vet until pay day as they do not see you on an IOU til payday.
I am wondering if it would be wise to get butterfly surgical tape and pull the skin together and tape it closed?
Thanks
Lisa

You'll need to find a way to get Ashley to a vet. Attempting to do any surgery on your own cat is actually a criminal act in most states as you are practicing veterinary medicine without a license. Additionally, trying to suture this on your own would likely make infection worse.

I have seen cases like this where animals with an abscess were treated at home and almost every time I end up seeing that the infection gets dramatically worse and needs extensive and expensive surgery.

Sorry to be so harsh, but Ashley needs to see a vet immediately.

If finances are a concern these organizations that help with vet bills may help you.

Added: I have received your repeated attempts to respond to this question (even though the free questions clearly state that this is not an option.) I rarely respond in situations like this, but I will make an exception for you.

If this wound is 2 inches by 1 inch it definitely needs to be seen by a vet. I apologize that I misread your question as saying you wanted to stitch this wound. Regardless, trying to apply surgical tape sutures to this would not be helpful. I sincerely hope that this heals. Again, I have had a number of cases like this where proper treatment was delayed and it ended up in very expensive surgery being needed.

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (6715 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5756 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (22882 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (22647 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (19450 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (28099 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (18405 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (115826 views)

Boxer splitting open tail. I have a 2 year old boxer and she keeps splitting her tail open is it necessary to... (6635 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (104910 views)