cat with bald belly

Breed: short hair tortie
Dr Marie,
My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is now nearly bald. She is an indoor cat, the only thing that has changed in the last 3 weeks is that I started using regular liter instead of the scoopable liter due to cost. could this be the problem or do ou think it may be something more serious? I did change her food also about 2 mths ago but the hair loss is more recent.

Thanks for your question!

Usually when a cat has a bald belly it is a result of overgrooming. Some cats will do this in secret, so you don't always see them grooming.

There is a suspicion that some cats will overgroom their belly because they have interstitial cystitis which is a condition that causes pain in the bladder, but we don't know this for sure.

One thing that can trigger overgrooming is stress caused by some type of change in her life. If you noticed that this happened coincidentally with a change in her litter then it may be that she doesn't like this!

It is unlikely to be anything serious. But, if you are noticing any scabs on her belly or if she doesn't seem well then a vet visit is a good idea.

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (25802 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (19111 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (40512 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (7414 views)

Allergic to grass? My dog has a rash on his belly that has red whelps. Itches a lot. Licking and... (17591 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (12420 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (21027 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (45763 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (9595 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (5580 views)