cat with bald belly

Breed: short hair tortie
Dr Marie,
My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is now nearly bald. She is an indoor cat, the only thing that has changed in the last 3 weeks is that I started using regular liter instead of the scoopable liter due to cost. could this be the problem or do ou think it may be something more serious? I did change her food also about 2 mths ago but the hair loss is more recent.

Thanks for your question!

Usually when a cat has a bald belly it is a result of overgrooming. Some cats will do this in secret, so you don't always see them grooming.

There is a suspicion that some cats will overgroom their belly because they have interstitial cystitis which is a condition that causes pain in the bladder, but we don't know this for sure.

One thing that can trigger overgrooming is stress caused by some type of change in her life. If you noticed that this happened coincidentally with a change in her litter then it may be that she doesn't like this!

It is unlikely to be anything serious. But, if you are noticing any scabs on her belly or if she doesn't seem well then a vet visit is a good idea.

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (8824 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (6994 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (9140 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (16597 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (6289 views)

Hypoallergenic dogs. Dr. Marie, thank you for responding to my recent questions regarding my Pug, Newt. I... (6334 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (6619 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (4139 views)

Dropped puppy on head. I have a 5 week old puppy, one of 6, he weighs less than 1 pound. My 2 year old... (32570 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (19486 views)