cat with bald belly

Breed: short hair tortie
Dr Marie,
My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is now nearly bald. She is an indoor cat, the only thing that has changed in the last 3 weeks is that I started using regular liter instead of the scoopable liter due to cost. could this be the problem or do ou think it may be something more serious? I did change her food also about 2 mths ago but the hair loss is more recent.

Thanks for your question!

Usually when a cat has a bald belly it is a result of overgrooming. Some cats will do this in secret, so you don't always see them grooming.

There is a suspicion that some cats will overgroom their belly because they have interstitial cystitis which is a condition that causes pain in the bladder, but we don't know this for sure.

One thing that can trigger overgrooming is stress caused by some type of change in her life. If you noticed that this happened coincidentally with a change in her litter then it may be that she doesn't like this!

It is unlikely to be anything serious. But, if you are noticing any scabs on her belly or if she doesn't seem well then a vet visit is a good idea.

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (9237 views)

Stress from travel. Hello, I have a question about my cat. He is 3 years old and he arrived in the UK... (5469 views)

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (8079 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (10194 views)

Dog pees in the house. Woody has been peeing when I have gone to work in the bedroom. I take him out... (9648 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (12205 views)

Kitten had eye removed. My cat went blind in her good eye following removal of a bad eye in which she was... (7567 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (27868 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (11203 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (8075 views)