cat with bald belly

Breed: short hair tortie
Dr Marie,
My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is now nearly bald. She is an indoor cat, the only thing that has changed in the last 3 weeks is that I started using regular liter instead of the scoopable liter due to cost. could this be the problem or do ou think it may be something more serious? I did change her food also about 2 mths ago but the hair loss is more recent.

Thanks for your question!

Usually when a cat has a bald belly it is a result of overgrooming. Some cats will do this in secret, so you don't always see them grooming.

There is a suspicion that some cats will overgroom their belly because they have interstitial cystitis which is a condition that causes pain in the bladder, but we don't know this for sure.

One thing that can trigger overgrooming is stress caused by some type of change in her life. If you noticed that this happened coincidentally with a change in her litter then it may be that she doesn't like this!

It is unlikely to be anything serious. But, if you are noticing any scabs on her belly or if she doesn't seem well then a vet visit is a good idea.

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (32728 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (23298 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (15926 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (9331 views)

Sick kitten We recently found this kitten last week outside, when we found him we estimated that... (10630 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (6993 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (17022 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (11320 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (17977 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (20739 views)