cat with bald belly

Breed: short hair tortie
Dr Marie,
My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is now nearly bald. She is an indoor cat, the only thing that has changed in the last 3 weeks is that I started using regular liter instead of the scoopable liter due to cost. could this be the problem or do ou think it may be something more serious? I did change her food also about 2 mths ago but the hair loss is more recent.

Thanks for your question!

Usually when a cat has a bald belly it is a result of overgrooming. Some cats will do this in secret, so you don't always see them grooming.

There is a suspicion that some cats will overgroom their belly because they have interstitial cystitis which is a condition that causes pain in the bladder, but we don't know this for sure.

One thing that can trigger overgrooming is stress caused by some type of change in her life. If you noticed that this happened coincidentally with a change in her litter then it may be that she doesn't like this!

It is unlikely to be anything serious. But, if you are noticing any scabs on her belly or if she doesn't seem well then a vet visit is a good idea.

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (14724 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (9068 views)

Itchy mouth in a dog. For quite sometime now she has been experiencing something that is irritating her... (69684 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (6094 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (7630 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (45054 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (12387 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (11441 views)

Not using litter box. For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in.... (11952 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (12887 views)