cat with bald belly

Breed: short hair tortie
Dr Marie,
My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is now nearly bald. She is an indoor cat, the only thing that has changed in the last 3 weeks is that I started using regular liter instead of the scoopable liter due to cost. could this be the problem or do ou think it may be something more serious? I did change her food also about 2 mths ago but the hair loss is more recent.

Thanks for your question!

Usually when a cat has a bald belly it is a result of overgrooming. Some cats will do this in secret, so you don't always see them grooming.

There is a suspicion that some cats will overgroom their belly because they have interstitial cystitis which is a condition that causes pain in the bladder, but we don't know this for sure.

One thing that can trigger overgrooming is stress caused by some type of change in her life. If you noticed that this happened coincidentally with a change in her litter then it may be that she doesn't like this!

It is unlikely to be anything serious. But, if you are noticing any scabs on her belly or if she doesn't seem well then a vet visit is a good idea.

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (134399 views)

Min Pin won't eat. My 2 year old (obese) miniature pinscher has been displaying very odd behavior.... (10587 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (18967 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (7989 views)

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (9209 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (12457 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (8406 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (13434 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (9894 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (16283 views)