cat with bald belly

Breed: short hair tortie
Dr Marie,
My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is now nearly bald. She is an indoor cat, the only thing that has changed in the last 3 weeks is that I started using regular liter instead of the scoopable liter due to cost. could this be the problem or do ou think it may be something more serious? I did change her food also about 2 mths ago but the hair loss is more recent.

Thanks for your question!

Usually when a cat has a bald belly it is a result of overgrooming. Some cats will do this in secret, so you don't always see them grooming.

There is a suspicion that some cats will overgroom their belly because they have interstitial cystitis which is a condition that causes pain in the bladder, but we don't know this for sure.

One thing that can trigger overgrooming is stress caused by some type of change in her life. If you noticed that this happened coincidentally with a change in her litter then it may be that she doesn't like this!

It is unlikely to be anything serious. But, if you are noticing any scabs on her belly or if she doesn't seem well then a vet visit is a good idea.

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (49827 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (42359 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (6907 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (13626 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4669 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (5998 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (15238 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19003 views)

Canine tooth extracted. My cat recently underwent a procedure to remove her broken, upper right canine. It... (6355 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (85713 views)