cat with bald belly

Breed: short hair tortie
Dr Marie,
My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is now nearly bald. She is an indoor cat, the only thing that has changed in the last 3 weeks is that I started using regular liter instead of the scoopable liter due to cost. could this be the problem or do ou think it may be something more serious? I did change her food also about 2 mths ago but the hair loss is more recent.

Thanks for your question!

Usually when a cat has a bald belly it is a result of overgrooming. Some cats will do this in secret, so you don't always see them grooming.

There is a suspicion that some cats will overgroom their belly because they have interstitial cystitis which is a condition that causes pain in the bladder, but we don't know this for sure.

One thing that can trigger overgrooming is stress caused by some type of change in her life. If you noticed that this happened coincidentally with a change in her litter then it may be that she doesn't like this!

It is unlikely to be anything serious. But, if you are noticing any scabs on her belly or if she doesn't seem well then a vet visit is a good idea.

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (7239 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (17404 views)

Reversing neuter surgery. I made a mistake by neutering him, and i really want to breed him and i was... (23409 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (33368 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (15755 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (66000 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (6375 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (6967 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (5581 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (13862 views)