Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar.

Species: Dog
Breed: mini dachshund and l
Age: 1-2 years
I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We just moved and today, they got into a box of pantry items and pulled out a small jar of nutella, a jar of betty crocker chocolate chip cake frosting, and some chocolate fondue. There were other things they ate, but the chocolate is what I am most concerned with because we cannot tell what dog ate which and how much each dog ate. What should I look for and/or do? The smaller mini dachshund has a liver shunt and is on meds - i do not know if this makes a difference or not.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh my goodness. What a horrible feast they must have had.

I have two concerns for the dogs. The first is for chocolate toxicity and the second is for the effects of having so much sugar.

I'm not worried about the amount of chocolate in nutella and the frosting. There's likely almost no real chocolate in these. Do you know what kind of chocolate is in the fondue? I'm not an expert in fondue at all. If this is made of dark chocolate, or even worse, baker's chocolate then there is a concern.

I created a chocolate toxicity calculator for situations like this. You will need to guestimate how many ounces each dog could have eaten and also enter in their weights. Then you enter in whether it was dark, milk, etc. chocolate. The calculator will tell you whether there is cause for concern for chocolate toxicity.

The signs of chocolate toxicity start with hyperactivity. But, hyperactivity could happen with the amount of sugar that they ate. Then, chocolate toxicity causes tremors and seizures and a very fast heart rate. If you think you are seeing tremors or twitching at all, then it's important to get the dog(s) to a vet for treatment of chocolate toxicity.

The other concern is over the amount of sugar that was eaten. This can potentially cause pancreatitis which is a very serious condition causing abdominal pain and vomiting. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some vomiting and diarrhea in any of the dogs. But if there is extreme vomiting (like several times an hour) or if any of the dogs seem like they are in pain and can't get comfortable at all, then a vet visit is a good idea. Pancreatitis can be serious.

Most likely though you will see some diarrhea and possibly they could be either hyperactive OR they could be a little bit depressed because of tummy upset.

I would recommend that you don't give them any food for 12-24 hours depending on how they are feeling.

Regarding the shunt doggie, it's hard to say whether there would be a greater risk or concern. I suppose if this one got pancreatitis it could be a little bit more serious than the others. But really, I don't think there is that much more risk than the other dogs.

I always recommend following your gut as well. If you just feel that something is wrong, then it's better to be safe than sorry and have a vet take a look.

If you have trouble figuring out the chocolate toxicity calculator let me know and I can help.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (21411 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (21464 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (31101 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (28255 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (160857 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (22008 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (12639 views)

Dog not well after fighting. My dog was in a fight with the neighbors dog last night. When I there Captain was... (6761 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (19536 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (30032 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.