Dogs ate chocolate and sugar.

Breed: mini dachshund and l
I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We just moved and today, they got into a box of pantry items and pulled out a small jar of nutella, a jar of betty crocker chocolate chip cake frosting, and some chocolate fondue. There were other things they ate, but the chocolate is what I am most concerned with because we cannot tell what dog ate which and how much each dog ate. What should I look for and/or do? The smaller mini dachshund has a liver shunt and is on meds - i do not know if this makes a difference or not.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Oh my goodness. What a horrible feast they must have had.

I have two concerns for the dogs. The first is for chocolate toxicity and the second is for the effects of having so much sugar.

I'm not worried about the amount of chocolate in nutella and the frosting. There's likely almost no real chocolate in these. Do you know what kind of chocolate is in the fondue? I'm not an expert in fondue at all. If this is made of dark chocolate, or even worse, baker's chocolate then there is a concern.

I created a chocolate toxicity calculator for situations like this. You will need to guestimate how many ounces each dog could have eaten and also enter in their weights. Then you enter in whether it was dark, milk, etc. chocolate. The calculator will tell you whether there is cause for concern for chocolate toxicity.

The signs of chocolate toxicity start with hyperactivity. But, hyperactivity could happen with the amount of sugar that they ate. Then, chocolate toxicity causes tremors and seizures and a very fast heart rate. If you think you are seeing tremors or twitching at all, then it's important to get the dog(s) to a vet for treatment of chocolate toxicity.

The other concern is over the amount of sugar that was eaten. This can potentially cause pancreatitis which is a very serious condition causing abdominal pain and vomiting. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some vomiting and diarrhea in any of the dogs. But if there is extreme vomiting (like several times an hour) or if any of the dogs seem like they are in pain and can't get comfortable at all, then a vet visit is a good idea. Pancreatitis can be serious.

Most likely though you will see some diarrhea and possibly they could be either hyperactive OR they could be a little bit depressed because of tummy upset.

I would recommend that you don't give them any food for 12-24 hours depending on how they are feeling.

Regarding the shunt doggie, it's hard to say whether there would be a greater risk or concern. I suppose if this one got pancreatitis it could be a little bit more serious than the others. But really, I don't think there is that much more risk than the other dogs.

I always recommend following your gut as well. If you just feel that something is wrong, then it's better to be safe than sorry and have a vet take a look.

If you have trouble figuring out the chocolate toxicity calculator let me know and I can help.

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (7962 views)

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (4572 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (28744 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (7169 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (32181 views)

Head tremors and bloody discharge. Dear Dr. Marie my fiance Melissa contacted you friday 02/26/2010 about are cat... (7099 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (5471 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (5364 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (24265 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (16845 views)