Dog has hotspots from fleas.

Breed: Old English Sheepdog
In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been diagnosed in the past with an allergy to fleas and she did have fleas so we gave her frontline and treated the hotspot. She has been on frontline since then but still the scratching and biting continues. She has no hair on her back legs and hot spots on her back. I am not sure what this can be and cannot afford for allergy testing. We have also flea dipped her in case it was fleas/mites. Anything else we can do? Or ideas what else it could be? Thanks.

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Lulu is having these problems.

I can think of a few reasons why she may still be having issues.

It might be that this initially started out as an allergy to fleas but then the allergic spots became infected. If so, some skin infections need 4 or even 8 weeks of oral antibiotics in order to clear up completely. So, it could be that the fleas are gone but the infection is still there.

Where did you get your Frontline from? Although Frontline is generally really good for fleas, I have heard stories of imitation Frontline or expired Frontline being sold online.

Are you using the Frontline monthly? If you are stretching it longer than that then fleas can still be present.

It sounds like she will need to see the vet again to determine whether she needs more antibiotics. If the vets are convinced that this is an allergy and there is no infection present then they can prescribe either some prednisone or vanectyl-P/temaryl-P to help with the itch.

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (23423 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (6551 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (16878 views)

Ivermectin toxicity in a cat. My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an... (14002 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (64378 views)

Give thyroid medicine? Hi there, I live in a remote northern community and we do not have a vet here. My... (8164 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (8051 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (16618 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (12148 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (21818 views)