Dog has hotspots from fleas.

Breed: Old English Sheepdog
In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been diagnosed in the past with an allergy to fleas and she did have fleas so we gave her frontline and treated the hotspot. She has been on frontline since then but still the scratching and biting continues. She has no hair on her back legs and hot spots on her back. I am not sure what this can be and cannot afford for allergy testing. We have also flea dipped her in case it was fleas/mites. Anything else we can do? Or ideas what else it could be? Thanks.

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Lulu is having these problems.

I can think of a few reasons why she may still be having issues.

It might be that this initially started out as an allergy to fleas but then the allergic spots became infected. If so, some skin infections need 4 or even 8 weeks of oral antibiotics in order to clear up completely. So, it could be that the fleas are gone but the infection is still there.

Where did you get your Frontline from? Although Frontline is generally really good for fleas, I have heard stories of imitation Frontline or expired Frontline being sold online.

Are you using the Frontline monthly? If you are stretching it longer than that then fleas can still be present.

It sounds like she will need to see the vet again to determine whether she needs more antibiotics. If the vets are convinced that this is an allergy and there is no infection present then they can prescribe either some prednisone or vanectyl-P/temaryl-P to help with the itch.

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (5932 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (7652 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (12139 views)

Is my dog overheating? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a simple question. Max is now a 74 lb 1yr old... (9171 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (13661 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (15732 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (7674 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (221942 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (9648 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (7130 views)