Dog has hotspots from fleas.

Breed: Old English Sheepdog
In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been diagnosed in the past with an allergy to fleas and she did have fleas so we gave her frontline and treated the hotspot. She has been on frontline since then but still the scratching and biting continues. She has no hair on her back legs and hot spots on her back. I am not sure what this can be and cannot afford for allergy testing. We have also flea dipped her in case it was fleas/mites. Anything else we can do? Or ideas what else it could be? Thanks.

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Lulu is having these problems.

I can think of a few reasons why she may still be having issues.

It might be that this initially started out as an allergy to fleas but then the allergic spots became infected. If so, some skin infections need 4 or even 8 weeks of oral antibiotics in order to clear up completely. So, it could be that the fleas are gone but the infection is still there.

Where did you get your Frontline from? Although Frontline is generally really good for fleas, I have heard stories of imitation Frontline or expired Frontline being sold online.

Are you using the Frontline monthly? If you are stretching it longer than that then fleas can still be present.

It sounds like she will need to see the vet again to determine whether she needs more antibiotics. If the vets are convinced that this is an allergy and there is no infection present then they can prescribe either some prednisone or vanectyl-P/temaryl-P to help with the itch.

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7320 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (8785 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10443 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (6707 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (184768 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (4974 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (9385 views)

Swollen penis Charlie's penis is enlarged and pussing but the puss is not excessive. I really... (51177 views)

Old dog with mammary lump Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight... (9994 views)

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (63178 views)