Dog has hotspots from fleas.

Breed: Old English Sheepdog
In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been diagnosed in the past with an allergy to fleas and she did have fleas so we gave her frontline and treated the hotspot. She has been on frontline since then but still the scratching and biting continues. She has no hair on her back legs and hot spots on her back. I am not sure what this can be and cannot afford for allergy testing. We have also flea dipped her in case it was fleas/mites. Anything else we can do? Or ideas what else it could be? Thanks.

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Lulu is having these problems.

I can think of a few reasons why she may still be having issues.

It might be that this initially started out as an allergy to fleas but then the allergic spots became infected. If so, some skin infections need 4 or even 8 weeks of oral antibiotics in order to clear up completely. So, it could be that the fleas are gone but the infection is still there.

Where did you get your Frontline from? Although Frontline is generally really good for fleas, I have heard stories of imitation Frontline or expired Frontline being sold online.

Are you using the Frontline monthly? If you are stretching it longer than that then fleas can still be present.

It sounds like she will need to see the vet again to determine whether she needs more antibiotics. If the vets are convinced that this is an allergy and there is no infection present then they can prescribe either some prednisone or vanectyl-P/temaryl-P to help with the itch.

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (13760 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (19433 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6337 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (15114 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (6719 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (9870 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4331 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (10354 views)

Sick after having puppies. My fathers hunting dog just had 6 puppies over a matter of 2 days, She is an old dog... (11556 views)

Puppy won't eat or drink. My puppy has not been feeling good for the past 2 days. She doesn't eat or drink... (99947 views)