Dog has hotspots from fleas.

Breed: Old English Sheepdog
In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been diagnosed in the past with an allergy to fleas and she did have fleas so we gave her frontline and treated the hotspot. She has been on frontline since then but still the scratching and biting continues. She has no hair on her back legs and hot spots on her back. I am not sure what this can be and cannot afford for allergy testing. We have also flea dipped her in case it was fleas/mites. Anything else we can do? Or ideas what else it could be? Thanks.

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Lulu is having these problems.

I can think of a few reasons why she may still be having issues.

It might be that this initially started out as an allergy to fleas but then the allergic spots became infected. If so, some skin infections need 4 or even 8 weeks of oral antibiotics in order to clear up completely. So, it could be that the fleas are gone but the infection is still there.

Where did you get your Frontline from? Although Frontline is generally really good for fleas, I have heard stories of imitation Frontline or expired Frontline being sold online.

Are you using the Frontline monthly? If you are stretching it longer than that then fleas can still be present.

It sounds like she will need to see the vet again to determine whether she needs more antibiotics. If the vets are convinced that this is an allergy and there is no infection present then they can prescribe either some prednisone or vanectyl-P/temaryl-P to help with the itch.

Not eating or drinking because lonely? i have a puppy i've had her in the backyard now my sister had an inspection at her... (7227 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4246 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (7036 views)

Stopped Rimadyl because dog is sick. I thought we could have a back and forth conversation? Oh well Aussie aprx 12... (23017 views)

Is this mammary tumor cancerous? We have an 8 yr old shih Tzu, female spayed before first heat and we noticed a lump... (4060 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7158 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (23165 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (19111 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (5354 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (8672 views)