Dog has hotspots from fleas.

Breed: Old English Sheepdog
In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been diagnosed in the past with an allergy to fleas and she did have fleas so we gave her frontline and treated the hotspot. She has been on frontline since then but still the scratching and biting continues. She has no hair on her back legs and hot spots on her back. I am not sure what this can be and cannot afford for allergy testing. We have also flea dipped her in case it was fleas/mites. Anything else we can do? Or ideas what else it could be? Thanks.

Related Article: Your Pet Has Fleas!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Lulu is having these problems.

I can think of a few reasons why she may still be having issues.

It might be that this initially started out as an allergy to fleas but then the allergic spots became infected. If so, some skin infections need 4 or even 8 weeks of oral antibiotics in order to clear up completely. So, it could be that the fleas are gone but the infection is still there.

Where did you get your Frontline from? Although Frontline is generally really good for fleas, I have heard stories of imitation Frontline or expired Frontline being sold online.

Are you using the Frontline monthly? If you are stretching it longer than that then fleas can still be present.

It sounds like she will need to see the vet again to determine whether she needs more antibiotics. If the vets are convinced that this is an allergy and there is no infection present then they can prescribe either some prednisone or vanectyl-P/temaryl-P to help with the itch.

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (7572 views)

Dog died suddenly. Dr. Marie - We had a Yorkshire Terrier (would have been 12 years old in August).... (66316 views)

Anal sac abscess. my dogs butt is very pouched out and red and leaking pus what can i do for my little... (11756 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (5469 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (3678 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (67928 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (18465 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (16935 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (15385 views)

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (30207 views)