Deaf and pooping in house.

Breed: domestic shorthair
My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the fact that he is now almost totally deaf. For the past 12 months, he has been leaving his poos anywhere, even inside the house, something he has not done before. We have left him a litter box, but he wont use it. We generally feed him Whiskas from a tin or a pouch, plus some dry food. If feeding him pouches, it is not uncommon for him tim to eat 5 pouches in one go. He is also fairly bony now and seems to eat a lot for his weight.
As you can imagine, it can get pretty smelly around here.

Hi David...thanks for your question.

It looks like you have a few issues with Mick: He is defecating outside of the box and also is eating a lot and losing weight.

I'll address the weight loss first. The most common reason for an older cat to lose weight despite having a decent appetite is hyperthyroidism. This is a condition where the thyroid gland produces too much hormone. Cats who have this will lose weight.

Hyperthyroidism is treatable. Most people treat it by using a medication called methimazole prescribed by your vet. Your vet will do a blood test first to determine if this is what he has. It is a good idea to have this checked soon as untreated hyperthyroidism can lead to heart problems, strokes and blindness.

Regarding the inappropriate defection, it is possible that this may resolve once the thyroid is corrected (if this is indeed hyperthyroidism).

However, some cats will do this if they have some arthritis pain in their lower spine. While there are medications that can treat arthritis they need to be given under the supervision of a vet as some of them can be hard on the kidneys. There are unfortunately no at-home remedies for arthritis.

You can try adding one or two more litter boxes and make at least one of them a box with very short (or no) walls such as a boot tray. This way it is not difficult to get into the box.

I hope that helps! I would highly advise a vet visit soon!

Phenobarb shortage? my vet just informed me the phenobarbital my dog take is going up 600% in price...is... (16408 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (18190 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (10872 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (27702 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (33501 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (40671 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (13687 views)

Possible demodectic mange. We live in Bangladesh an are unable to obtian decent vet care for my dog. I am... (44762 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (47598 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (7641 views)