Deaf and pooping in house.

Breed: domestic shorthair
My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the fact that he is now almost totally deaf. For the past 12 months, he has been leaving his poos anywhere, even inside the house, something he has not done before. We have left him a litter box, but he wont use it. We generally feed him Whiskas from a tin or a pouch, plus some dry food. If feeding him pouches, it is not uncommon for him tim to eat 5 pouches in one go. He is also fairly bony now and seems to eat a lot for his weight.
As you can imagine, it can get pretty smelly around here.

Hi David...thanks for your question.

It looks like you have a few issues with Mick: He is defecating outside of the box and also is eating a lot and losing weight.

I'll address the weight loss first. The most common reason for an older cat to lose weight despite having a decent appetite is hyperthyroidism. This is a condition where the thyroid gland produces too much hormone. Cats who have this will lose weight.

Hyperthyroidism is treatable. Most people treat it by using a medication called methimazole prescribed by your vet. Your vet will do a blood test first to determine if this is what he has. It is a good idea to have this checked soon as untreated hyperthyroidism can lead to heart problems, strokes and blindness.

Regarding the inappropriate defection, it is possible that this may resolve once the thyroid is corrected (if this is indeed hyperthyroidism).

However, some cats will do this if they have some arthritis pain in their lower spine. While there are medications that can treat arthritis they need to be given under the supervision of a vet as some of them can be hard on the kidneys. There are unfortunately no at-home remedies for arthritis.

You can try adding one or two more litter boxes and make at least one of them a box with very short (or no) walls such as a boot tray. This way it is not difficult to get into the box.

I hope that helps! I would highly advise a vet visit soon!

Sore chihuahua My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he... (7454 views)

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (17572 views)

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (8338 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (12115 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (8161 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (24626 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (50860 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (5240 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (9810 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (7916 views)