Deaf and pooping in house.

Breed: domestic shorthair
My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the fact that he is now almost totally deaf. For the past 12 months, he has been leaving his poos anywhere, even inside the house, something he has not done before. We have left him a litter box, but he wont use it. We generally feed him Whiskas from a tin or a pouch, plus some dry food. If feeding him pouches, it is not uncommon for him tim to eat 5 pouches in one go. He is also fairly bony now and seems to eat a lot for his weight.
As you can imagine, it can get pretty smelly around here.

Hi David...thanks for your question.

It looks like you have a few issues with Mick: He is defecating outside of the box and also is eating a lot and losing weight.

I'll address the weight loss first. The most common reason for an older cat to lose weight despite having a decent appetite is hyperthyroidism. This is a condition where the thyroid gland produces too much hormone. Cats who have this will lose weight.

Hyperthyroidism is treatable. Most people treat it by using a medication called methimazole prescribed by your vet. Your vet will do a blood test first to determine if this is what he has. It is a good idea to have this checked soon as untreated hyperthyroidism can lead to heart problems, strokes and blindness.

Regarding the inappropriate defection, it is possible that this may resolve once the thyroid is corrected (if this is indeed hyperthyroidism).

However, some cats will do this if they have some arthritis pain in their lower spine. While there are medications that can treat arthritis they need to be given under the supervision of a vet as some of them can be hard on the kidneys. There are unfortunately no at-home remedies for arthritis.

You can try adding one or two more litter boxes and make at least one of them a box with very short (or no) walls such as a boot tray. This way it is not difficult to get into the box.

I hope that helps! I would highly advise a vet visit soon!

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (9994 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (15892 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (34564 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (36268 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (22150 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (24359 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (12029 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (11740 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (9019 views)

Dog with ear problem. Icleaned my dogs ears with a Q tip and may have hurt his ear drum. I cannot go to a... (15120 views)