Deaf and pooping in house.

Breed: domestic shorthair
My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the fact that he is now almost totally deaf. For the past 12 months, he has been leaving his poos anywhere, even inside the house, something he has not done before. We have left him a litter box, but he wont use it. We generally feed him Whiskas from a tin or a pouch, plus some dry food. If feeding him pouches, it is not uncommon for him tim to eat 5 pouches in one go. He is also fairly bony now and seems to eat a lot for his weight.
As you can imagine, it can get pretty smelly around here.

Hi David...thanks for your question.

It looks like you have a few issues with Mick: He is defecating outside of the box and also is eating a lot and losing weight.

I'll address the weight loss first. The most common reason for an older cat to lose weight despite having a decent appetite is hyperthyroidism. This is a condition where the thyroid gland produces too much hormone. Cats who have this will lose weight.

Hyperthyroidism is treatable. Most people treat it by using a medication called methimazole prescribed by your vet. Your vet will do a blood test first to determine if this is what he has. It is a good idea to have this checked soon as untreated hyperthyroidism can lead to heart problems, strokes and blindness.

Regarding the inappropriate defection, it is possible that this may resolve once the thyroid is corrected (if this is indeed hyperthyroidism).

However, some cats will do this if they have some arthritis pain in their lower spine. While there are medications that can treat arthritis they need to be given under the supervision of a vet as some of them can be hard on the kidneys. There are unfortunately no at-home remedies for arthritis.

You can try adding one or two more litter boxes and make at least one of them a box with very short (or no) walls such as a boot tray. This way it is not difficult to get into the box.

I hope that helps! I would highly advise a vet visit soon!

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (13756 views)

White tongue in a kitten. Kitten 6weeks old looks like a 4 week old. Sootie has a white tongue? Is it... (16100 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7766 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (26622 views)

Chances of getting rabies from my dog? My wife was recently bit by my dog. My dog has battled allergies and likes to lick... (35991 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (18600 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (11622 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5403 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (9521 views)

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (7618 views)