Deaf and pooping in house.

Breed: domestic shorthair
My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the fact that he is now almost totally deaf. For the past 12 months, he has been leaving his poos anywhere, even inside the house, something he has not done before. We have left him a litter box, but he wont use it. We generally feed him Whiskas from a tin or a pouch, plus some dry food. If feeding him pouches, it is not uncommon for him tim to eat 5 pouches in one go. He is also fairly bony now and seems to eat a lot for his weight.
As you can imagine, it can get pretty smelly around here.

Hi David...thanks for your question.

It looks like you have a few issues with Mick: He is defecating outside of the box and also is eating a lot and losing weight.

I'll address the weight loss first. The most common reason for an older cat to lose weight despite having a decent appetite is hyperthyroidism. This is a condition where the thyroid gland produces too much hormone. Cats who have this will lose weight.

Hyperthyroidism is treatable. Most people treat it by using a medication called methimazole prescribed by your vet. Your vet will do a blood test first to determine if this is what he has. It is a good idea to have this checked soon as untreated hyperthyroidism can lead to heart problems, strokes and blindness.

Regarding the inappropriate defection, it is possible that this may resolve once the thyroid is corrected (if this is indeed hyperthyroidism).

However, some cats will do this if they have some arthritis pain in their lower spine. While there are medications that can treat arthritis they need to be given under the supervision of a vet as some of them can be hard on the kidneys. There are unfortunately no at-home remedies for arthritis.

You can try adding one or two more litter boxes and make at least one of them a box with very short (or no) walls such as a boot tray. This way it is not difficult to get into the box.

I hope that helps! I would highly advise a vet visit soon!

How long after flea treatment will my dog stop scratching? We adopted a female german shepherd husky mix. She is about 9 months old and 35... (96553 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (10075 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (14182 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (25367 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (7741 views)

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (8901 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (9511 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (9948 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (10286 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (14882 views)