Swollen hip in Golden.

Breed: golden retreiver
We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so it took awhile to loose the weight. He still acts like a puppy, but we noticed in the last month, the one hip seems to be swollen and the leg falls asleep on him. He won't climb stairs if he feels he can't make it. Any suggestions to help the swelling?

This definitely sounds like a case where you need to see your veterinarian. I'm quite concerned that there could be a serious problem such as hip dysplasia. If there is a swelling, a hip dislocation is even possible.

It sounds like Nephi will need some xrays to determine what the problem is.

The vet may be able to treat him with anti-inflammatory medications. Unfortunately there are no over the counter medicines that are likely to be helpful and safe for Nephi.

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (43595 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7770 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (5498 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (5487 views)

Coughing and liver problems. Hi there! We are hoping that you can lend us some advice with our baby. Our... (13150 views)

Swollen ankle. On 4/10/12 our dog was running down the hallway as usual and slipped as usual cause... (4949 views)

Trembling chihuahua. SHE HAS BEEN TREMBLING FOR 2 DAYS AND HAS NOT EATEN FOR FOR 2 DAYS. OTHERWISE SHE... (9344 views)

Time to put dog to sleep? My dog is very old and has been Very skinny the past month, But yesterday he lost... (7283 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (8657 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (20218 views)