Swollen hip in Golden.

Breed: golden retreiver
We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so it took awhile to loose the weight. He still acts like a puppy, but we noticed in the last month, the one hip seems to be swollen and the leg falls asleep on him. He won't climb stairs if he feels he can't make it. Any suggestions to help the swelling?

This definitely sounds like a case where you need to see your veterinarian. I'm quite concerned that there could be a serious problem such as hip dysplasia. If there is a swelling, a hip dislocation is even possible.

It sounds like Nephi will need some xrays to determine what the problem is.

The vet may be able to treat him with anti-inflammatory medications. Unfortunately there are no over the counter medicines that are likely to be helpful and safe for Nephi.

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (19537 views)

Arthritis in elbow. My 10 year old German Shepherd mix has been limping on her front leg. It has... (18702 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (14402 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (12328 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (21055 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (18222 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (13283 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (20496 views)

Cat scratch fever. We have had our cat Zeus for over a year. He is up to date on his vaccines and is an... (7512 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (24820 views)