Swollen hip in Golden.

Breed: golden retreiver
We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so it took awhile to loose the weight. He still acts like a puppy, but we noticed in the last month, the one hip seems to be swollen and the leg falls asleep on him. He won't climb stairs if he feels he can't make it. Any suggestions to help the swelling?

This definitely sounds like a case where you need to see your veterinarian. I'm quite concerned that there could be a serious problem such as hip dysplasia. If there is a swelling, a hip dislocation is even possible.

It sounds like Nephi will need some xrays to determine what the problem is.

The vet may be able to treat him with anti-inflammatory medications. Unfortunately there are no over the counter medicines that are likely to be helpful and safe for Nephi.

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (11789 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (18508 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (6807 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (10611 views)

Dog died suddenly. Please help me....My dog lucky (6) was found dead at the side of our house the other... (54472 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (8696 views)

Lumps on mammary glands. Fraya is a rescue we have had for a month. We are not sure of her age, but we think... (27961 views)

High stepping and chattering. My dog has suddenly started walking funny. He lifts his paws up higher than normal... (11282 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (30151 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (11596 views)