Swollen hip in Golden.

Breed: golden retreiver
We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so it took awhile to loose the weight. He still acts like a puppy, but we noticed in the last month, the one hip seems to be swollen and the leg falls asleep on him. He won't climb stairs if he feels he can't make it. Any suggestions to help the swelling?

This definitely sounds like a case where you need to see your veterinarian. I'm quite concerned that there could be a serious problem such as hip dysplasia. If there is a swelling, a hip dislocation is even possible.

It sounds like Nephi will need some xrays to determine what the problem is.

The vet may be able to treat him with anti-inflammatory medications. Unfortunately there are no over the counter medicines that are likely to be helpful and safe for Nephi.

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (21660 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (8711 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (15353 views)

Vomiting after allergy injection My sister took my dog to the vet yesterday where she recieved a shot to stop itching... (15303 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (5351 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (10224 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (10309 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (22558 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (153777 views)

Can a dog transmit HIV or hep c Hello, I know you've had a similar question before but I'm unsure about... (63783 views)