Swollen hip in Golden.

Breed: golden retreiver
We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so it took awhile to loose the weight. He still acts like a puppy, but we noticed in the last month, the one hip seems to be swollen and the leg falls asleep on him. He won't climb stairs if he feels he can't make it. Any suggestions to help the swelling?

This definitely sounds like a case where you need to see your veterinarian. I'm quite concerned that there could be a serious problem such as hip dysplasia. If there is a swelling, a hip dislocation is even possible.

It sounds like Nephi will need some xrays to determine what the problem is.

The vet may be able to treat him with anti-inflammatory medications. Unfortunately there are no over the counter medicines that are likely to be helpful and safe for Nephi.

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (9449 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (10956 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (7929 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (49039 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (7546 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (16432 views)

Does my dog have cushing's? Hi Dr. Marie, I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking... (5546 views)

Can dogs eat fruits and vegetables? Can dogs eat vegatbles or fruits. Thank... (10612 views)

Repeated ear infections. Hi! My dog Opie is a five-and-a-half-year-old, male (neutered) red sable... (11832 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (65230 views)