Cat with only 4 teeth.

Breed: part Siamese

We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4 teeth, missing her molars and premolars. We've recently, (5 weeks ago), moved to a new home, and she seems to be getting over her initial lethargy/sleeping (about 20 hrs. a day), and she has begun to eat more normally. She is a bit overweight. Her breath seems fine, and she doesn't seem to have any facial swelling or pain.

We lost a healthy cat , Figaro, 11 years ago after having had her teeth cleaned by a vet. She was apparently so traumatized by the general anesthesia, that she stopped eating, developed liver problems, and died within weeks...so we a reluctant to have THAT happen again.

What should we do about Chole's missing teeth? We feed her strictly Science Diet light and mature cat food.

Thanks for your question. I personally have a cat who has 3 teeth and he does extremely well and is still able to eat hard food quite well.

The question here is how healthy the remaining teeth are. I do think it is a good idea to have your vet take a look at Chole's teeth the next time that she is in for a visit.

If there is significant dental disease then it would be best to have a dental procedure done. What happened to your other cat is very unfortunate, but extremely uncommon. General anesthetic these days is very safe in a cat who is healthy. In 12 years of practice I cannot remember having an animal die because of a dental procedure.

I hope Chole continues to do well.

Can a dog adapt to a new home? Hello, thanks for taking the time to review my question. Ok, here it goes...The... (8877 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (30724 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (47720 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (19910 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (19812 views)

Bloddy vaginal discharge in a cat. My cat is bleeding from her vagina, she is not spayed and we don't believe she is... (8865 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (7762 views)

My cat's fur is falling out. My cat's fur is falling out. Patchy and balding. I have 2 cats, the other is... (15541 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (14133 views)

Swollen foot because of bandage. Hi- My dog recently cut himself and had to get 4 stitches. The day he was to get... (98382 views)