Cat with only 4 teeth.

Breed: part Siamese

We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4 teeth, missing her molars and premolars. We've recently, (5 weeks ago), moved to a new home, and she seems to be getting over her initial lethargy/sleeping (about 20 hrs. a day), and she has begun to eat more normally. She is a bit overweight. Her breath seems fine, and she doesn't seem to have any facial swelling or pain.

We lost a healthy cat , Figaro, 11 years ago after having had her teeth cleaned by a vet. She was apparently so traumatized by the general anesthesia, that she stopped eating, developed liver problems, and died within weeks...so we a reluctant to have THAT happen again.

What should we do about Chole's missing teeth? We feed her strictly Science Diet light and mature cat food.

Thanks for your question. I personally have a cat who has 3 teeth and he does extremely well and is still able to eat hard food quite well.

The question here is how healthy the remaining teeth are. I do think it is a good idea to have your vet take a look at Chole's teeth the next time that she is in for a visit.

If there is significant dental disease then it would be best to have a dental procedure done. What happened to your other cat is very unfortunate, but extremely uncommon. General anesthetic these days is very safe in a cat who is healthy. In 12 years of practice I cannot remember having an animal die because of a dental procedure.

I hope Chole continues to do well.

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (28693 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (11815 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (27324 views)

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (15723 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (29341 views)

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (26476 views)

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (10578 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (18324 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (18650 views)

Click in dog's elbow. Hi Dr. I've noticed that sometimes Max's right elbow will creak as he bends it.... (15527 views)