Cat with only 4 teeth.

Breed: part Siamese

We just discovered our cat, Chole, who is 11 years old, seem to have only 4 teeth, missing her molars and premolars. We've recently, (5 weeks ago), moved to a new home, and she seems to be getting over her initial lethargy/sleeping (about 20 hrs. a day), and she has begun to eat more normally. She is a bit overweight. Her breath seems fine, and she doesn't seem to have any facial swelling or pain.

We lost a healthy cat , Figaro, 11 years ago after having had her teeth cleaned by a vet. She was apparently so traumatized by the general anesthesia, that she stopped eating, developed liver problems, and died within weeks...so we a reluctant to have THAT happen again.

What should we do about Chole's missing teeth? We feed her strictly Science Diet light and mature cat food.

Thanks for your question. I personally have a cat who has 3 teeth and he does extremely well and is still able to eat hard food quite well.

The question here is how healthy the remaining teeth are. I do think it is a good idea to have your vet take a look at Chole's teeth the next time that she is in for a visit.

If there is significant dental disease then it would be best to have a dental procedure done. What happened to your other cat is very unfortunate, but extremely uncommon. General anesthetic these days is very safe in a cat who is healthy. In 12 years of practice I cannot remember having an animal die because of a dental procedure.

I hope Chole continues to do well.

Kidney problems in ferret. Hi there, I am the owner of a ferret male, 2.5 years old, who in the last week,... (12000 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5776 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9033 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (5539 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (13514 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (27220 views)

Old dog with mammary lump Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight... (9899 views)

Coconut milk for dogs. Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was... (108850 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (40246 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (11375 views)