Doxycycline and amoxicillin.

Breed: Pitbull
My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought it might be to soon to show up. She was doing great on doxycycline for a week then went down hill again. Her joints hurt and she cries when getting up from laying down and has had a fever of 104. Our vet kept her on the doxycycline and also put her on amoxicilin. Is it safe for her to be taking both at the same time?

Sorry to hear that your dog is not doing well. It's true that the test for Lyme disease often will not turn up positive until 4-6 weeks after the dog has been exposed to Lyme disease.

Her symptoms certainly sound like lyme disease with sore joints and a fever.

Now, your question is an interesting one. Is it safe to be on doxycycline and amoxicillin at the same time? I had to do some research for you to find out the answer to this and even after doing research I am not completely sure.

Amoxicillin sometimes can treat lyme disease. It is sometimes used in dogs that can't take doxycycline well. (Some dogs can get stomach upset on doxycycline.) But it is not commonly used at the same time as doxycycline.)

There is a form of amoxicillin called clavulanic acid that we know should not be used with doxycycline. But, it is not the amoxicillin part of clavulanic acid that makes it not good to work with doxycycline.

I did find one example of a case where a vet used both doxycycline and amoxicillin at the same time. I would not say that it is commonly done, but it really should be ok. If, however, Dakota is having stomach upset (vomiting and diarrhea) then you may want to ask your vet if one of the antibiotics should be stopped.

I think the whole idea of adding the amoxicillin is because we don't know if this really is lyme disease. Amoxicillin may be effective against other types of infections that the doxycycline may not get.

I hope she is feeling better soon!

Doing some searching online I came across immune mediated polyarthritis which also fits her symptoms. I know she is young but could this be what it is and why she is not responding to the antibiotics?

I could certainly see immune mediated polyarthritis being a possibility here. It is not very common though. I can think of one dog in 13 years that I have diagnosed with that issue.

If you live in an area that sees a lot of lyme disease, then lyme is much more likely, but it can be hard to prove.

The test for polyarthritis is to do joint taps. This is probably a good idea. But, it can be a little expensive because it is a challenging thing to do, plus you have to send samples to a pathologist to read.

I think it's not a bad idea to give the new antibiotic combo a try. If that's not working after a few days then you could ask your vet about the joint taps.

Weak legs on Coton deTulear. Hi! I have an 8 month old Coton de Tulear that I acquired through a very... (7441 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (8183 views)

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (29226 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (5729 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9510 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (76027 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (9058 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (25185 views)

Rash on dog's chin. I HAVE A 1.6 YEAR OLD GREAT DANE IN GOOD HEALTH. HOWEVER, SHE HAS DEVELOPED A RASH... (14670 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (9184 views)