Sick Yorkie

Breed: Yorkie
Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive, progressively getting worse the past few days. Today he started drinking excessively, throwing up, and urinating frequently. He has been panting heavily even though he is not outside in the heat. He is not himself at all--kind of in a daze like he doesn't know where he is or who we are. He has been healthy his whole life until now, other than constant eye infections which we treat with ointment. Do you have any idea what can be wrong with him? Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that Buddy is not feeling well. The symptoms that you are describing have me very concerned. This does not sound like a simple thing that he would get over on his own.

A sudden increase in thirst and urination is always a sign of something significant. It can mean a serious kidney problem which could be a result of eating something toxic to kidneys such as antifreeze or a part of a lily plant, or could be because of a problem like leptospirosis. It could be something like diabetes as well. Diabetes doesn't usually come on all of a sudden though.

Vomiting can be caused by a great number of conditions.

It sounds like Buddy really needs to see a vet as soon as possible. If there is kidney disease then the sooner this is dealt with the better.

Unfortunately there is not much that I can suggest at home as this sounds like a serious sickness.

I really hope he is ok!

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (7745 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (148956 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (4534 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (36226 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (13869 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (5152 views)

Pain meds after spay? Is it necessary to purchase antibiotics and pain meds after a dog has been... (19919 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9368 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (10215 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7122 views)