Sick Yorkie

Breed: Yorkie
Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive, progressively getting worse the past few days. Today he started drinking excessively, throwing up, and urinating frequently. He has been panting heavily even though he is not outside in the heat. He is not himself at all--kind of in a daze like he doesn't know where he is or who we are. He has been healthy his whole life until now, other than constant eye infections which we treat with ointment. Do you have any idea what can be wrong with him? Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that Buddy is not feeling well. The symptoms that you are describing have me very concerned. This does not sound like a simple thing that he would get over on his own.

A sudden increase in thirst and urination is always a sign of something significant. It can mean a serious kidney problem which could be a result of eating something toxic to kidneys such as antifreeze or a part of a lily plant, or could be because of a problem like leptospirosis. It could be something like diabetes as well. Diabetes doesn't usually come on all of a sudden though.

Vomiting can be caused by a great number of conditions.

It sounds like Buddy really needs to see a vet as soon as possible. If there is kidney disease then the sooner this is dealt with the better.

Unfortunately there is not much that I can suggest at home as this sounds like a serious sickness.

I really hope he is ok!

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (30485 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (10208 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (62007 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (39074 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (20917 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (8263 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (34841 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (11772 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (21486 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (18271 views)