Sick Yorkie

Breed: Yorkie
Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive, progressively getting worse the past few days. Today he started drinking excessively, throwing up, and urinating frequently. He has been panting heavily even though he is not outside in the heat. He is not himself at all--kind of in a daze like he doesn't know where he is or who we are. He has been healthy his whole life until now, other than constant eye infections which we treat with ointment. Do you have any idea what can be wrong with him? Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear that Buddy is not feeling well. The symptoms that you are describing have me very concerned. This does not sound like a simple thing that he would get over on his own.

A sudden increase in thirst and urination is always a sign of something significant. It can mean a serious kidney problem which could be a result of eating something toxic to kidneys such as antifreeze or a part of a lily plant, or could be because of a problem like leptospirosis. It could be something like diabetes as well. Diabetes doesn't usually come on all of a sudden though.

Vomiting can be caused by a great number of conditions.

It sounds like Buddy really needs to see a vet as soon as possible. If there is kidney disease then the sooner this is dealt with the better.

Unfortunately there is not much that I can suggest at home as this sounds like a serious sickness.

I really hope he is ok!

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (23359 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (40250 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (10771 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (25226 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (10249 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (125080 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (51832 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (14209 views)

Unable to walk. We put the dog outside this morning and then went out to bring him back in and found... (85913 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (27768 views)