Cat with megacolon

Breed: domestic long hair
We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription W/D but the cat refuses to eat it and has lost several pounds over the last month or two.

Before this the cat was on prescription C/D for urine crystals and he will get crystals with supermarket food, though we have not seen signs with the W/D.

We are changing the rest of our cats from 9 lives to Blue Buffalo Wilderness, a high protein, low residue food. Some people on the internet have said that low residue is an option for mega-colon and I would like your opinion on that. How about the crystals (not the coffin shaped ones, the other ones)? Would this food exacerbate the crystal problem (which was controlled well under C/D but that caused constipation.

Some cat in the household has very bad smelling fecal matter since the changeover but we don't know which one.

Also, we give Poofter an enema if he seem to need one but are always worried about not doing it soon enough. Are scheduled enemas an option (using unscented, plain dish washing liquid and water) or is this a bad idea?

Thank you in advance, sorry it was so long.
Jeffery

I'm sorry to hear that Poofter is having these problems. Constipation issues in cats can be extremely frustrating.

I'll give you a few of my thoughts on what you have written.

My first concern was the statement that Poofter is refusing to eat and has lost several pounds. While this could be because he doesn't like the food, it could also be that there is a medical issue. Often cats with constipation issues will also have kidney issues. It really would be a great idea to have your vet have another look at him and possibly do some blood tests.

While some cats with constipation do well on a high fiber diet such as w/d, you are correct that others will do better on a low residue food. One that I like to prescribe is eukanuba low residue.

I've recently had great success with feeding constipated cats VMD (Medi-cal) gastro diet. This food has psyllium in it and it really does help cats to move their bowels. All of the VMD foods are safe for cats with urinary tract issues. I really can't speak for any over the counter foods though. If you do find that an over the counter food is helping with the constipation, one thing you can do is have your vet check a urine sample every few months to be sure that there are no crystal issues.

Personally, I don't ever have my clients give their own cats an enema. There are a lot of risks involved with giving cats enemas such as perforating the colon. I will occasionally prescribe something called a micro-lax enema which is a tiny tube of solution that can be squirted into the rectum. But I tell my clients that if it is not working then they need to come in to have my staff give a series of warm water enemas.

Constipation in older cats is one of the most frustrating things I deal with. Some other things that you can talk to your vet about that may help are a medication called cisapride, or using lactulose or miralax granules to help to soften and move the stool along.

You may also find this article on megacolon helpful.

I hope things are looking up soon!

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (10984 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (7449 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (9446 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (5344 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (7469 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (14499 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (14126 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (73472 views)

Testosterone injection for cryptorchidism. I have a Mini French Poodle and he is about 1 year old and he only has one testicle... (6244 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (14472 views)